Tough battery removal

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

xtreem3d

morning guys,
have another question about another machine. i need to replace the 2 batteries in my LX985. i can't get it to crank even by jumping (at least in 4 degree weather i couldn't) if it doesn't crank or fire up what's the trick to getting the boom up to remove the batteries? i think if it cranks and i hold the boom lift pedal it will rise as it cranks even w/ out running, correct? any ideas would be great
steve

OP
OP
X

xtreem3d

after over an hour of jumping it finally started and was able to get the boom up to service batteries

Earthwerks Unlimited

after over an hour of jumping it finally started and was able to get the boom up to service batteries
My Ls185.b has the factory remote jump option which is basically an extended pos. battery cable which terminates on a large brass nipple on the radiator support. It's quite handy..

OP
OP
X

xtreem3d

My Ls185.b has the factory remote jump option which is basically an extended pos. battery cable which terminates on a large brass nipple on the radiator support. It's quite handy..
mine has that too it just took a long time to juice up the batteries.... i still would like to know what would you guys do if the batteries hadn't charged up with the boom down...even though these two batteries are small they could never fit around the boom arms,
steve

Earthwerks Unlimited

mine has that too it just took a long time to juice up the batteries.... i still would like to know what would you guys do if the batteries hadn't charged up with the boom down...even though these two batteries are small they could never fit around the boom arms,
steve
I can get the side panels off by lifting them up and rearward. I have only one 1000-CCA battery on the righthand side. But I know what you mean. Even with the boom up and panel removed I still have to take off the longish body extension that locates the side panel. I still pay hell getting it out---I use a closed-end wrench slid over each the terminal and then lift them like offset handles. And the battery is HEAVVVVY too. Something to look for is the terminals that NH uses have a center bolt through the cable--it tends to loosen and makes it near impossible to charge AND start it under the right conditions.
As far as getting the boom up manually, my machine uses a bunch of electronic controls that won't allow the hydraulics to lift but I can get it to go down doing as you described. The only way I know is to use another machine to lift the boom and release the back pressure like you did. Luckily I had my backhoe handy to lift my boom. In a pinch without another machine, you could jack up and block the rear of the machine to keep it from tipping backward, then use a jack under the boom/bucket to raise the boom (relieving the backpressure of course otherwise it will just lift the front of the machine eventually). You would have to contiue raising and blocking the boom/bucket until you get it high enough. You could also lift the rear of the boom at the square tube loader arm crossmember that is over the radiator/rear of the machine. Harbor Freight has a 10- or a 20-ton porta-power that comes with extensions and different end configurations to suit many needs---think of a skinny bottle jack with a remote hand pump and long neck extensions (about $100). But again, you will have to relieve backpressure otherwise you'll end up lifting the entire rear of the machine. I use my 20-ton porta-power with a modified pull-back cylinder (versus the typical push-type cylinder) to install my steel tracks and adjust them. Cuts installation and adjustment time down to minutes versus an hour with ratchet straps.

OP
OP
X

xtreem3d

I can get the side panels off by lifting them up and rearward. I have only one 1000-CCA battery on the righthand side. But I know what you mean. Even with the boom up and panel removed I still have to take off the longish body extension that locates the side panel. I still pay hell getting it out---I use a closed-end wrench slid over each the terminal and then lift them like offset handles. And the battery is HEAVVVVY too. Something to look for is the terminals that NH uses have a center bolt through the cable--it tends to loosen and makes it near impossible to charge AND start it under the right conditions.
As far as getting the boom up manually, my machine uses a bunch of electronic controls that won't allow the hydraulics to lift but I can get it to go down doing as you described. The only way I know is to use another machine to lift the boom and release the back pressure like you did. Luckily I had my backhoe handy to lift my boom. In a pinch without another machine, you could jack up and block the rear of the machine to keep it from tipping backward, then use a jack under the boom/bucket to raise the boom (relieving the backpressure of course otherwise it will just lift the front of the machine eventually). You would have to contiue raising and blocking the boom/bucket until you get it high enough. You could also lift the rear of the boom at the square tube loader arm crossmember that is over the radiator/rear of the machine. Harbor Freight has a 10- or a 20-ton porta-power that comes with extensions and different end configurations to suit many needs---think of a skinny bottle jack with a remote hand pump and long neck extensions (about $100). But again, you will have to relieve backpressure otherwise you'll end up lifting the entire rear of the machine. I use my 20-ton porta-power with a modified pull-back cylinder (versus the typical push-type cylinder) to install my steel tracks and adjust them. Cuts installation and adjustment time down to minutes versus an hour with ratchet straps.
i did find that part of the jumping problem WAS from the side post bolts not being tight and had some corrosion. i also have to take off the lower panel to pull the batteries out. mine are 2 650 cca batts and they are way heavier than a car batt but the same size...more lead plates i guess. a new postive cable is $155.00 so i think i'll just clean mine good <G>
steve

Earthwerks Unlimited

i did find that part of the jumping problem WAS from the side post bolts not being tight and had some corrosion. i also have to take off the lower panel to pull the batteries out. mine are 2 650 cca batts and they are way heavier than a car batt but the same size...more lead plates i guess. a new postive cable is $155.00 so i think i'll just clean mine good <G>
steve
I would be tempted to replace the batteries AND the cable ends with regular top-post types. You might be able to upgarde to higher CCA's then too. It's really a poor design in that that battery(s) get showered with all manner of wetness and mud being right next to the rear tire(s). Mine came with rubber post covers on the cables--but they're a joke.

OP
OP
X

xtreem3d

I would be tempted to replace the batteries AND the cable ends with regular top-post types. You might be able to upgarde to higher CCA's then too. It's really a poor design in that that battery(s) get showered with all manner of wetness and mud being right next to the rear tire(s). Mine came with rubber post covers on the cables--but they're a joke.
i believe that's exactly the cause of the corrosion on my cables. i have just started using this machine in snow and salted lots and the wheels are throwing up all the salt water. not sure how your remote jumper works but my batts are top post for the jumper and side post for the electrical system ganged together