TO BullHog or Not to BullHog????

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

wkheathjr

I am technically a newbie although I have posted few questions on this forum before. Here is a little story... I went to this Dixie Deer Show in Raleigh and saw a huge Tigercat with this Bullhog on it and I was in disbelief of what it is really capable of and I was fascinated by that. So when I went home, I checked the website and learned that they make bullhog for excavator, skid steer, and tractor. So I spoke with salesman and learned that if I buy one for my 80's Massey Ferguson 240 tractor, they will be making it specifically for my tractor alone. I was like "So you mean to tell me that if I decide to buy it and clear my 40 acres land with it then I will have to sell it to new buyer only IF he have the SAME tractor as mine?" Correct he replied and I thought it was a bad deal because that equipment costs $30,000! The he told me that if I wanted something that is transferrable then I should consider Skid Steer so I spoke with new salesman who sell bullhog exclusively for the skid steer. I learned few simple things that it is transferrable if: 1) 75+ HP 2) 30-40GPM with minimum of 3,100psi 3) Enclosed Cab (safety) When transferring: 1) Flow: Depending on range, the pulley can be adjusted to correct flowing 2) Pressure: Most systems are set to 4,000psi or lower as are the heads, but CAT usually have 4,200 so will need to get high-pressure hose. 3) Hydraulic quick disconnects are different on different manufacturers. The are a screw-on changeout. So for $20K-$25K, I dont think it is a bad investment... and if you don't know what bullhog is, check it out at www.fecon.com and go to Action Video. It is one bad-ass machine and I am really tempted to buy skid steer anytime soon so I could get that toy to clear my land. I may try a small lot-clearing business or resell it to get my money back! Or do you think there is a BETTER and CHEAPER BUT effective way to clear the land than this machine??? If yes, I want to know!! Please!!

Fishfiles

Have never heard the word Bulldog before today but have worked on the Fecon rotary grinders quite a few times and have had the chance to jump on and try it out and it is an awsome piece of equipment that will destroy the woods in a short time , I have see them on PosiTrack , Cat and ASV , a Lexan front windshield is a must as it is dangerous as stuff goes flying all over the place , the biggest problem I have found with them is there is so much dust that the radiator , cooler , air filters and a/c coil has to be cleaned out very often as it causes machine to run hot -----on another note , I don't know what part of the country your in , but have heard it from a couple of people down here and don't know if it holds water or not but they feel that using it promotes termites , which are pretty bad around here , as you are chipping up the wood and mixing a lot of wood into the soil , if it's farm land or pasture I guess it wouldn't matter , but if you are building a house on the land I would guess you would have to use some kind of termite extermination chemicals on the land ------ down here if you have some decent trees on your land they will pay you up to about a $1,000 per acre to clear the land for you for the pulp wood

OP
OP
wkheathjr

wkheathjr

Have never heard the word Bulldog before today but have worked on the Fecon rotary grinders quite a few times and have had the chance to jump on and try it out and it is an awsome piece of equipment that will destroy the woods in a short time , I have see them on PosiTrack , Cat and ASV , a Lexan front windshield is a must as it is dangerous as stuff goes flying all over the place , the biggest problem I have found with them is there is so much dust that the radiator , cooler , air filters and a/c coil has to be cleaned out very often as it causes machine to run hot -----on another note , I don't know what part of the country your in , but have heard it from a couple of people down here and don't know if it holds water or not but they feel that using it promotes termites , which are pretty bad around here , as you are chipping up the wood and mixing a lot of wood into the soil , if it's farm land or pasture I guess it wouldn't matter , but if you are building a house on the land I would guess you would have to use some kind of termite extermination chemicals on the land ------ down here if you have some decent trees on your land they will pay you up to about a $1,000 per acre to clear the land for you for the pulp wood
HMM!! Termites are always something to think about. Exactly where are you? I am located in Eastern NC and the object of getting this bullhog was to clear the land (the mess logger left behind when I sold my trees) so I can complete my campground/racing track project. I have cleared 8 acres of land with D6 Bulldozer, but it took forever to do all this and I have invested $3,300 in rental just to clean 8 acres out of 55 acres. I figured I might be better off buying something like this mulcher and just mow down all the trees laying all over the field. Another thing I thought about was hiring someone to clear about 40 feet width of path around the land, and then I can burn whatever there is in the middle and use my 40HP tractor to clear up whatever the fire didn't get to. My biggest concern is wildfire and I don't want to get my name out on the news being responsible for it, and that would be embarrassing. Basically I am looking for 'Cost Effective' way of clearing the land so I can move forward with my campground project because we are starting to grow and I want to be ready for the growth.

Fishfiles

HMM!! Termites are always something to think about. Exactly where are you? I am located in Eastern NC and the object of getting this bullhog was to clear the land (the mess logger left behind when I sold my trees) so I can complete my campground/racing track project. I have cleared 8 acres of land with D6 Bulldozer, but it took forever to do all this and I have invested $3,300 in rental just to clean 8 acres out of 55 acres. I figured I might be better off buying something like this mulcher and just mow down all the trees laying all over the field. Another thing I thought about was hiring someone to clear about 40 feet width of path around the land, and then I can burn whatever there is in the middle and use my 40HP tractor to clear up whatever the fire didn't get to. My biggest concern is wildfire and I don't want to get my name out on the news being responsible for it, and that would be embarrassing. Basically I am looking for 'Cost Effective' way of clearing the land so I can move forward with my campground project because we are starting to grow and I want to be ready for the growth.
I am n the Greater New Orleans area , and termites were bad before the storm , they thought the flood waters of the storm may have put the hurtin' on them , but it seems it the opposite , all the wood lying around and they are rampart -------the Fecon rotary mulher is a nice piece of equipment but it is very pricey ----- I have set the pressure on about 5 machines so far that were set up to use one , and I have changed the teeth and a couple of hoses , but have yet to see a mechanical failure on the Fecon , it does cause problems with the machine as I mentioned as running hot is a factor from all the dust it creates , it will rip and shred up brush as fast as you can run over it , it will down trees up to about 12 inches then walk over them and plane them down to nothing in say three passes -------fire does well in clearing , was on a job site which is a farm last week and thats what they did , they cleared the fence lines and lite it up , thats was pretty messy in it's self --------buy the rotary and clear the land then sell it and retrive some of the money

pjw

I am from Central New York state, but there is a company called HPC Land Clearing Services in Albemarle NC. Their number is 704-982-2211, I am sure they could help you out. They have a very nice & informative website. Mulching is the way togo, good luck with your campground.