Titan Grapple

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

wbecker

I have had that Titan for several years now. I use it mainly picking up and moving logs for firewood, and moving piles of branches. I don't do demo work or any commercial work. I have bent the bottom outer tines a couple times and had to straighten it, it only happens when I'm dug in and try to turn.
It works fine for what I do.
If you are doing heavy commercial work, it may not be for you.

OP
OP
christopher9123
What do you think about this type of grapple "bucket" versus the Titan "clamshell" grapple I posted at the beginning?

EXPRESS-STEEL-INC-GRAPPLE.jpg

Apparently, there is a manufacturer 30 minutes from my property that makes this type in-house. Repairs, etc. would be convenient. It has a smaller opening than the Titan, and it has much less tines at the top and 8 at the bottom versus 10 with the Titan.

Here is the URL for the one close to us: Express Steel, Inc.

Personally, I am wanting to use it to help keep our 17 acres maintained. I have tons of fallen trees, a gravel parking lot, a 1200ft driveway, lots of brush, etc.

Thank you for the feedback!

Sincerely,
Chris

Last edited:
OP
OP
christopher9123
I bought a Titan grapple when I got my CTL about a year ago, and while I just use it for my own personal property maintenance, I have been very pleased. It arrived promptly and well packaged, and I thought the price was reasonable. So far, no problems whatsoever. It's been an extremely useful tool to have and I have no regrets. Your mileage may vary...
That is pretty much my use case as well, my own property maintenance. Do you have any thought on the Titan or that style versus THIS one?

Chris

ddbackhoe

Apparently, there is a manufacturer 30 minutes from my property that makes this type in-house. Repairs, etc. would be convenient. It has a smaller opening than the Titan, and it has much less tines at the top and 8 at the bottom versus 10 with the Titan.

Here is the URL for the one close to us: Express Steel, Inc.
Good oportunity, I would call and ask for a "factory" tour. They might be able to make either style for a custom order and their HD combo price is pretty good. IMO, the c shape works better for logs and the flat bottom works better for brush but opinions are worth what you pay for them.
One of my buddies says. Opinions are like armpits, everybody has them and they all stink :)

Don Pearson

Like anything, maintenance and proper usage will govern the longevity of any attachment. Some will absorb abuse more than others, but all benefit from maintenance. I typically grease mine before every use, and none of mine have bushes. I have never had an issue.
I'm with SkidRoe: oil and grease are cheap, engines and hydraulic pumps are not.
I have that attachment on my old JCB and it is beastly. It weighs right at 800 LBS.

Attachments

• DSCF7623.JPG
    DSCF7623.JPG
    505.9 KB · Views: 125

Rayhat

I bought an MTL Attatchments, Made in USA, off eBay I think, 4-5 years ago to move logs and trees for firewood. Two upper tongs bent out like candy canes, but I beat the snot out of it. And with the bent tongs I can pick up larger stumps, 30 plus inches around 6-8 feet long. Oak. so the defect worked in my favor. It was also around $1100.00 with delivery.image.jpgimage.jpg

ap5152

I have the 72" Titan root grapple. Have had it about 4 years. I bent it a little due to misuse (pulling some yaupon out). Other than that the only issue I had was the lines started leaking at the fittings within 2 hours of use. I notified Titan and they sent me a new set of lines. No problems since. As far as moving brush and logs, its been great for the price.

OP
OP
christopher9123
So, after using the Titan for a few weeks, I have a few thoughts.

1. Even though it is made from A36 steel, it appears to be sufficiently reinforced. TONS of heavy-duty items are made from A36. I think it just means that the reinforcement and design has to be up to stuff. In my opinion, this grapple is. It is true that I have only used it for a few weeks, and I am not using it in an industrial (junk yard, busting concrete, etc.) setting.

2. I wish I could try the EXTREME ROOT GRAPPLE RAKE instead. I believe the bottom forks are way too small. It makes picking things up more difficult. The more "horizontal" your grapple is designed, the better. This grapple is fairly straight up and down. I may even sell the one I have for this extreme one, as it has longer bottom forks and a more horizonal clamp design.

Any thoughts?

Chris

SkidRoe

I can definitely see that. Here is the one that I built a number of years ago, and I have been nothing but happy with this design:

OP
OP
christopher9123
I can definitely see that. Here is the one that I built a number of years ago, and I have been nothing but happy with this design:

I really like your grapple! I really wanted to get one similar, but I felt/feel I need one that can close all the way. I think they are called "clamshell" design. I need to take some welding workshop. It would be pretty satisfying to build stuff like that 🙂

Chris

Tony Honea

I bought the 48" one for my S70, personal use around the place. It works great. I had one coupler start leaking and customer service took care if me really well, very satisfied. I have bought three of the adaptor plates, one for the 3ph implements. Always fast shipping. I might try the 4 in 1 bucket next.