Tires -vs- Dirt Bucket, Overall width

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

willyg1997

I just purchased (my first) 2001 Bobcat 863-G single speed. The overall width of the machine with tires (33-15.5 x 16.5) is 78", 4" wider then my new 74" dirt bucket. I believe the bucket should be as wide if not a little wider then the overall width of the tires. I am either looking at getting a new wider dirt bucket (80"), or keeping my current 74" bucket and getting the smaller tires (12-16.5) which should put the overall with at 72". Would this 863 be able to handle an 80" dirt bucket? What are the benefits of the wider 33-15.5 x 16.5 tires vs the standard 12-16.5? Would it be smarter to get the smaller 12-16.5 tires and keep my 74" bucket, or keep the wider tires and get an 80" dirt bucket? My bucket is new, but dost not have a replaceable cutting edge. My tires are older Firestone and have apox 5/8 tread left, with a couple stick-in patch plug. Thanks!! Bill

[email protected]

wider tires don't damage grass as much, but i'd imagine you lose traction because the weight is spread out. your machine would handle an 80" bucket just fine. if you do get one, i'd get one with a bolt on edge without a doubt.

Bobcatdan

wider tires don't damage grass as much, but i'd imagine you lose traction because the weight is spread out. your machine would handle an 80" bucket just fine. if you do get one, i'd get one with a bolt on edge without a doubt.
Unless you need to fit into a smaller space, go 80" all the way. An 863 can easily handle 80", if not an 84". 863 have a lot of power for their size.

OP
OP
willyg1997

willyg1997

Unless you need to fit into a smaller space, go 80" all the way. An 863 can easily handle 80", if not an 84". 863 have a lot of power for their size.
Thanks guys. Jenkins Iron & Steel a local shop builds nice heavy duty dirt buckets with a reversible cutting-edge in a 78" and a 84". Guessing the 84" is the way to go. I just don't want to over stress something. As for a snow buckets what would be a good size for this skid? 8', 9', or 10'. I will just be using it around the place for personal use only.

[email protected]

Thanks guys. Jenkins Iron & Steel a local shop builds nice heavy duty dirt buckets with a reversible cutting-edge in a 78" and a 84". Guessing the 84" is the way to go. I just don't want to over stress something. As for a snow buckets what would be a good size for this skid? 8', 9', or 10'. I will just be using it around the place for personal use only.
i would think 8' would be more than enough. i only have a 68 on my machine and i can move a shitload of snow with that. anything wider will be harder to trailer while on the machine

Bobcatdan

i would think 8' would be more than enough. i only have a 68 on my machine and i can move a shitload of snow with that. anything wider will be harder to trailer while on the machine
8' would be my choice. Not saying an 863 couldn't handle a 9' or 10', but that getting pretty ridiculous wide from a maneuverability standpoint.

reaperman

I'm going against the trend on this one and saying a 84" may be bigger than you want to go. For example, a new T750 comes standard with a 80" bucket. Now your talking about a machine (t750) that has a overall weight in excess of 10,000lbs with a lift rating of 3,300 lbs. Plus a track machine is way more balanced than a tire machine any day. If your using the machine for dirt work, a full bucket will have you doing nose-stands all day long. Especially if your on any king of decline. If your using the machine for home use or light lifting a larger bucket could be justified. Overall I'd say a 78" would be more suitable. As far as the tires go, I'm not sure why your machine has the larger than normal wheels. Unless your doing something out of the ordinary I can only see them costing you a pretty penny when it comes time for replacement. Not that down sizing them would be cheap either.

OP
OP
willyg1997

willyg1997

I'm going against the trend on this one and saying a 84" may be bigger than you want to go. For example, a new T750 comes standard with a 80" bucket. Now your talking about a machine (t750) that has a overall weight in excess of 10,000lbs with a lift rating of 3,300 lbs. Plus a track machine is way more balanced than a tire machine any day. If your using the machine for dirt work, a full bucket will have you doing nose-stands all day long. Especially if your on any king of decline. If your using the machine for home use or light lifting a larger bucket could be justified. Overall I'd say a 78" would be more suitable. As far as the tires go, I'm not sure why your machine has the larger than normal wheels. Unless your doing something out of the ordinary I can only see them costing you a pretty penny when it comes time for replacement. Not that down sizing them would be cheap either.
That was my main concern, putting too much stress on the machine with a larger buckets. My original plan was to keep the 74" bucket and get a set of Michelin Bibsteel radials 12-16.5. Which wouldn't be a whole lot more than a set of 15.5-16.5 replacements. And just use the 15.5-16.5 for winter with chains. But then I would be stuck with this non replaceable cutting-edge bucket. Maybe I will stick with a new 78" bucket. As for the snow bucket I will plan on the 8'. Thx, Bill

reaperman

That was my main concern, putting too much stress on the machine with a larger buckets. My original plan was to keep the 74" bucket and get a set of Michelin Bibsteel radials 12-16.5. Which wouldn't be a whole lot more than a set of 15.5-16.5 replacements. And just use the 15.5-16.5 for winter with chains. But then I would be stuck with this non replaceable cutting-edge bucket. Maybe I will stick with a new 78" bucket. As for the snow bucket I will plan on the 8'. Thx, Bill
Bolt on cutting edges are the way to go, but there is an alternative. You could buy another cutting edge and weld it onto your existing buckets cutting edge. That would double the life of your bucket, besides, it looks like your stuck with the 74 incher even if you buy another bucket. If you decide to just keep the 74 incher, the money saved would replace tires.

Bobcatdan

Bolt on cutting edges are the way to go, but there is an alternative. You could buy another cutting edge and weld it onto your existing buckets cutting edge. That would double the life of your bucket, besides, it looks like your stuck with the 74 incher even if you buy another bucket. If you decide to just keep the 74 incher, the money saved would replace tires.
I'd stick with the wider tires for better flotation. As for the bucket, I stand by my opinion, 80" is the smallest I'd put on.

OP
OP
willyg1997

willyg1997

I'd stick with the wider tires for better flotation. As for the bucket, I stand by my opinion, 80" is the smallest I'd put on.
Thanks guys. I just took a more accurate measurement on the width, 79" overall outside tire width, 77" lug to lug. The 78" bucket would be iffy due to back fill. I have rented them, but like I said this is my first owned skid, and before I spend money I want to make sure it is the right direction. I could ckeck with the bucket mtg'r to see if they could build me an 80" I'd bucket. As far as why the larger tires are on the skid, is because it's the way I bought it. I was a genuine green horn when I handed over the cash, but have learned a lot from this site. Now I just need to make it right. Check my other post, just spent 4000 on getting it running. Ya, I got handed a 1500 hr pos. But my goal is to make this my right hand for my 48 year old body.

[email protected]

Thanks guys. I just took a more accurate measurement on the width, 79" overall outside tire width, 77" lug to lug. The 78" bucket would be iffy due to back fill. I have rented them, but like I said this is my first owned skid, and before I spend money I want to make sure it is the right direction. I could ckeck with the bucket mtg'r to see if they could build me an 80" I'd bucket. As far as why the larger tires are on the skid, is because it's the way I bought it. I was a genuine green horn when I handed over the cash, but have learned a lot from this site. Now I just need to make it right. Check my other post, just spent 4000 on getting it running. Ya, I got handed a 1500 hr pos. But my goal is to make this my right hand for my 48 year old body.
don't use the wider tires for snow, you don't have as good traction with wider tires.

OP
OP
willyg1997

willyg1997

don't use the wider tires for snow, you don't have as good traction with wider tires.
Ya, I understand that flotation tires suck in deep snow, but with chains and keeping it on the hard packed I'll get by. Plus, I am kinda stuck with them. someday I will get a set of skinnys. My plow truck will do most of the work. Regarding my question above, will the 78" bucket work good with the 79" overall width of the tires, and 77" lug to lug work good? Maybe the correct question to ask is, how much wider should the bucket be than the overall width of the tires? Thx

OldMachinist

Ya, I understand that flotation tires suck in deep snow, but with chains and keeping it on the hard packed I'll get by. Plus, I am kinda stuck with them. someday I will get a set of skinnys. My plow truck will do most of the work. Regarding my question above, will the 78" bucket work good with the 79" overall width of the tires, and 77" lug to lug work good? Maybe the correct question to ask is, how much wider should the bucket be than the overall width of the tires? Thx
Did you check to see if maybe the wheels were put on the machine with the offset reversed or it has spacers on it? Previous owner may have had steel tracks on it which required the extra clearance. Bobcat specs. says even with the wider tires the overall width should be 73".

OP
OP
willyg1997

willyg1997

Did you check to see if maybe the wheels were put on the machine with the offset reversed or it has spacers on it? Previous owner may have had steel tracks on it which required the extra clearance. Bobcat specs. says even with the wider tires the overall width should be 73".
Good point, tonight I will check to see if there's any wheel spacers. Thx