Thread sealant?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rusty2867

Now that I have the 1835B running again I am chasing hydraulic leaks. Hoses look good but I found a couple pipe thread fittings leaking. The site glass plug being one of them dripping on the fan belt.
Is there a thread sealant the would be safe to use on these plugs?

cdmccul

AvE claims bubble gum works. It reacts with the oil and swells, or something like that...

But don't take my word for it.

I would assume blue Teflon goop or the heavy body tape would work... I guess I'd try tape first. But I'm no expert.

I'm interested to see what others suggest, too.

tech.35058

I purchased some loc-tite 569 because that was what the service manual said to use when I was working on my New Holland LX865 (circa 1995?), which uses engine/motor oil for hydraulic fluid ( also by the book). BUT ... I am loath to use it, I read some where that it is seriously tough to break loose next time you need to disassemble. I might use an anaerobic sealant, if I really needed to.
I would absolutely not use any RTV silicon type product for fear tiny beads of the stuff would break loose, circulate through the system & plug up some critical passage.

foton

I have used rectorseal#5 ,I just put on enough ,not to much, years ago I read the label on all of its uses and I maybe wrong to do so but I use it for just about everything that uses a pipe thread with real good luck.

Gearclash

The site glass plug being one of them dripping on the fan belt.
You can try sealing the threads on the sight glass but I will bet that the problem is the sight glass itself is leaking past the seal for the glass. Replaced several of them already.

A good quality pipe dope would be the recommended sealer for pipe fittings. Tape is not recommended for hydraulic fittings but I do use it sometimes. Be careful not to get any where it could get into the hydraulic flow. RTV silicon is a no no as mentioned. Most times were RTV silicon could be used, an aerobic flange sealant like Loctite 515 is a much better choice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rusty2867

rusty2867

Local hydraulic repair shop recommended this

Attachments

• 1685992782047231306351996625074.jpg
    1685992782047231306351996625074.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 49

MX727

569 is for permanent connections and generally used in Natural Gas applications. That being said, for your sight glass, it probably would be an okay application, as you aren't removing that. You'd need heat to remove it though.

Loctite 545 is the correct sealant for normal hydraulic/air fittings that will need to be removed when replacing hoses later. It's the only thing I use for hydraulic and air lines. Works great and it is not hard to separate parts if you need to later on.

Pipe dope is messy in comparison.

Gonzogravy