Thomas 85 boom locks in down position

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

armitagep

Thomas 85 skid steer - A hydraulic line blew back in the summer and the local repair shop made repairs to get it working again. Since then though, the skid steer has had a bad habit of locking up. I'll run it for 20 to 30 minutes, put the boom down to scrape dirt or manure, then when I try to lift the boom it's locked in the down position. If I don't get the tractor to a safe area (out of the barnyard) quickly, the drive motor will also lock up. With the unit in a safe place and turned off, I open the back and have a look in the engine compartment to see if anything appears wrong. The only thing I've noticed is that the hydraulic oil level in the sight glass is either completely full, or just a 1/8" gap at the top. Is it possible for the hydraulic reservoir to be filled too much? That is, if filled to the top of the tank, and the hydraulic fluid heats up and expands, would the increased fluid pressure on the control box relief valves cause them to trip? Or is it probably something completely different? BTW, if I leave the T85 parked for a while (last time it was overnight), upon restart everything is working fine: well, untill the next time it locks up.

d1rider

You sure the seat,seat belt,safety bar switches are good,that can cause brakes(drive ) to lock up & booms to lock

OP
OP
A

armitagep

Sent it off for repair. They determined that there was a damaged connection to the seat switch which they repaired. Unit returned and has been working since. Great.
But I've got to wonder how a defective seat switch connection resets with time. That is, when the skid steer would lock up (last time was with the boom almost straight up) I'd still be able to drive for a minute or two, and then the drive wheels would lock up as well. Turn the skid steer off, go do something for 30 minutes, come back, start it up, and I can drive the rest of the way to the shed where I park it, but boom is still locked. Have to wait a couple hours and then when I restart the skid steer both the boom and drive wheels would work.

Latest posts