Thomas--1210 model

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

joe161

Hi, I recently purchased a Thomas 1210 model (1979 model I think). Started and worked for a while but it will not turn over when I try to start it...its a Diesel engine and before I bought it, it was sitting for 3 years...any ideas as to where I should start...I never worked on any equipment like this before...thanks.

foton

when you say it will not turn over do you mean that the starter does not engage ? If so make sure the battery posts are clean and the cables are good. If so go to the starter relay make sure everything looks good there if so check out the starter motor. And do not forget to check out the run ,stop, starter switch on the dash. If what you are saying that it will not start, check the glow plugs and associated switch to turn them on. Then whatever controls the fuel on and off. good luck

OP
OP
J

joe161

when you say it will not turn over do you mean that the starter does not engage ? If so make sure the battery posts are clean and the cables are good. If so go to the starter relay make sure everything looks good there if so check out the starter motor. And do not forget to check out the run ,stop, starter switch on the dash. If what you are saying that it will not start, check the glow plugs and associated switch to turn them on. Then whatever controls the fuel on and off. good luck
thanks Foton....it cranks but wont start...do you have any diagrams (schematics) that i can follow along to find the parts...is a Thomas 101 1210 model...its old.

foton

thanks Foton....it cranks but wont start...do you have any diagrams (schematics) that i can follow along to find the parts...is a Thomas 101 1210 model...its old.
no I do not , but I got a bobcat model 500 production started in 1964 when it stopped I do not know ,so I know old. The advantage of these antiques is they are as simple as they get, it is just figuring them out when you first get them and fixing what others have done.

flyerdan

no I do not , but I got a bobcat model 500 production started in 1964 when it stopped I do not know ,so I know old. The advantage of these antiques is they are as simple as they get, it is just figuring them out when you first get them and fixing what others have done.
If it was running before, I'd suspect it might be the fuel shutoff solenoid, if it has one. Sometimes the pull coil will go bad on them.

Tazza

Staff member
If it was running before, I'd suspect it might be the fuel shutoff solenoid, if it has one. Sometimes the pull coil will go bad on them.
I'm thinking fuel shut off solenoid too.
When cranking, does it smoke?