temp sending unit price!!!!!!!!!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

daved

This took me by suprise. I called up the local Bobcat dealer and priced a temp sending unit today. The guy said he'd have to order it and it and it would be $113. I said I really just need the sending unit not both it and gauge. He replied this is just the unit. After I got back up I asked if this thing was chrome plated, high speed low drag or what??? It seems to me you can buy a pretty decent gauge and sending unit at the automotive store for 50-60 bucks. Am I crazy or are they??? Not really a good point to this just wanted to share my experience today. What do you guys think of this??

TriHonu

If it is for a standard gauge and not for BOSS or G Series I would say it is high. All Bobcat dealers are independent and can set their own prices. I would call another dealer.
My neighbor needed a wiring harness a number of years ago. He called four dealers and got prices ranging from $250 and they needed to order it, to $65 at a different dealer and they had it in stock. He warned me when I bought my machine about parts pricing. I usually call around, so far the stuff I have needed was priced pretty close.

Centurion

If it is for a standard gauge and not for BOSS or G Series I would say it is high. All Bobcat dealers are independent and can set their own prices. I would call another dealer.
My neighbor needed a wiring harness a number of years ago. He called four dealers and got prices ranging from $250 and they needed to order it, to $65 at a different dealer and they had it in stock. He warned me when I bought my machine about parts pricing. I usually call around, so far the stuff I have needed was priced pretty close.
I just bought a hyd. temp sending unit, and it was around $30.00

skidsteer.ca

I just bought a hyd. temp sending unit, and it was around $30.00
I see in another thread you have a 743, call around to other dealers or buy a 2" electric temp guage from the auto parts store.
Mark from www.imbobcat.com ?? is on the forum here and takes good care of us. Ialso like Barron Suppy out of Barron Wi, a sender can be mailed easly enough. 100 plus is crazy for that should be 25 to 30. Maybe they looked up the wtong part otherwise its just plain greed.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
I see in another thread you have a 743, call around to other dealers or buy a 2" electric temp guage from the auto parts store.
Mark from www.imbobcat.com ?? is on the forum here and takes good care of us. Ialso like Barron Suppy out of Barron Wi, a sender can be mailed easly enough. 100 plus is crazy for that should be 25 to 30. Maybe they looked up the wtong part otherwise its just plain greed.
Ken
A non BOSS sender is about $7 USD, the boss one is more expensive. Even my local dealer in Australia is cheaper than that! i could buy a new sender and gauge for that price. It sounds like he muddled something up if you do have a 743.

perry

A non BOSS sender is about $7 USD, the boss one is more expensive. Even my local dealer in Australia is cheaper than that! i could buy a new sender and gauge for that price. It sounds like he muddled something up if you do have a 743.
Ken, your exactly right about mark, worked with him last week and he found the solution my local dealers couldn't. Highly recommended!.

Fishfiles

Ken, your exactly right about mark, worked with him last week and he found the solution my local dealers couldn't. Highly recommended!.
henry ford said" i can give everyone in the usa a car free but all service and parts would have to come from me " , oem parts is the manufacturers way of assuring a piece of the parts pie

Garauld

henry ford said" i can give everyone in the usa a car free but all service and parts would have to come from me " , oem parts is the manufacturers way of assuring a piece of the parts pie
Hi - my gauge is not working. I was wondering if there was a scheme for testing both the sender unit and the gauge so I know which one to buy. I have a 743. Thanks.

skidsteer.ca

Hi - my gauge is not working. I was wondering if there was a scheme for testing both the sender unit and the gauge so I know which one to buy. I have a 743. Thanks.
Ground the sender wire and the guage should go to one extreme (either hot or cold) and the opposite extreme when it is not grounded, this indicates the guage is functioning.
Ken

coreya3212

Ground the sender wire and the guage should go to one extreme (either hot or cold) and the opposite extreme when it is not grounded, this indicates the guage is functioning.
Ken
Temp sending unit from dealer in Calgary was 56 bucks for me I think.....new to the BC world at that time, I would shop around today.

Tazza

Staff member
Ken
On a 743 the temp sender is cheap as. The sender is about $12 and the gauge about 30. Don't quote me on those prices though. The hydraulic temperature or BOSS temperature senders are rather expensive though as they don't go bad as often as the "standard" coolant ones do.
As Ken stated, short the sender wire out, the gauge should read full scale. If it doesn't, you have a bad connection or a bad gauge.

jjb16033

Yeah that's bobcat for ya. I just had to replace axle bearings and seals. I took the old bearings and races out and they were made by timken bearing company. So i called the local parts stores and that timken bearing number does not exist in their computer. I called bobcat and they were $105. for one bearing and one race so i need 8 of them and thats $840. Well i came across one on ebay with the same timken bearing number and it also had a caterpilliar number so i called caterpilliar and they had the same bearing and race for $50. So i spent $400. on the same parts. Go figure. Bobcat is double the money. I won,t buy anything from bobcat if i can get it some where else for half price.