T650 crank but no start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Grestil

I'm working on a T650 2014 year model with bobcat/doosan engine in it. It currently will not start and has no codes displayed other than an m0116 air filter not connected code. Will this code cause a no start? I wouldn't mind knowing a bit about the fuel pump as well. It appears to be a mechanical pump? I want to check the fuel supply to the rail but I'm not sure how. First time I've touched one of these. Owner states turbo has been recently replaced and engine was smoking under load. Pm performed 2 months ago.

Bswwood

These can be hard to troubleshoot without a computer. Whatever you do don't crack any of the high pressure fuel lines after the fuel pump, the system needs to have 5,000 PSI to start and typically runs between 20000 and 30000 PSI on the fuel rail. If you don't have any codes I doubt it's a fuel delivery issue. The 2014 had several issues but first thing I want you to try is remove your main hydraulic drive belt on the left side of the engine you'll have to remove the battery and then the belt cover and you'll see the tensioner. If there's a hydraulic load on the engine he will not be able to turn over fast enough to start, so let's isolate that first and we can go from there

OP
OP
G

Grestil

These can be hard to troubleshoot without a computer. Whatever you do don't crack any of the high pressure fuel lines after the fuel pump, the system needs to have 5,000 PSI to start and typically runs between 20000 and 30000 PSI on the fuel rail. If you don't have any codes I doubt it's a fuel delivery issue. The 2014 had several issues but first thing I want you to try is remove your main hydraulic drive belt on the left side of the engine you'll have to remove the battery and then the belt cover and you'll see the tensioner. If there's a hydraulic load on the engine he will not be able to turn over fast enough to start, so let's isolate that first and we can go from there
Someone has already cracked a line from the rail before I got there. Engine spins and cranks freely. The only problems I've found is the M0116 code. Does this machine use a transfer pump to deliver fuel to the injection pump? Its either not getting fuel or there is something mechanically wrong with the engine. The code really bothers me as I don't know if the ecm will allow engine start with an air filter not connected code.

Bswwood

Someone has already cracked a line from the rail before I got there. Engine spins and cranks freely. The only problems I've found is the M0116 code. Does this machine use a transfer pump to deliver fuel to the injection pump? Its either not getting fuel or there is something mechanically wrong with the engine. The code really bothers me as I don't know if the ecm will allow engine start with an air filter not connected code.
M0116 will not prevent the engine from starting. If you had a fuel supply issue more than likely you will have low rail pressure codes. We can get to that, even if the engine sounds like it's turning over fine if it does not hit 500 RPM it will not start. You have to isolate the hydraulics from this engine, number one step in troubleshooting the Doosan.

OP
OP
G

Grestil

M0116 will not prevent the engine from starting. If you had a fuel supply issue more than likely you will have low rail pressure codes. We can get to that, even if the engine sounds like it's turning over fine if it does not hit 500 RPM it will not start. You have to isolate the hydraulics from this engine, number one step in troubleshooting the Doosan.
Ahhh...that's good info thanks! They've been cranking it a lot and the low system voltage alarm went off last time I tried to start it. I am not on the jobsite right now but I'll perform this test and post the results.

OP
OP
G

Grestil

Ahhh...that's good info thanks! They've been cranking it a lot and the low system voltage alarm went off last time I tried to start it. I am not on the jobsite right now but I'll perform this test and post the results.
Got to the jobsite today and they had been using the machine. Engine was still warm and fired right up. Maybe they jump started it? Ran good but was either surging or hitting a rev limiter at full throttle. Surge goes away when throttle is slightly reduced. No codes other than plugged A/F according to deluxe dash. Hmmmm. No closure. Very unsatisfying.

Thermoking

I have the same problem, 2014 Bobcat T650 Kubota motor, fuel pump working, battery fully chargrd, fuel solinoid omes out OK. I'm stuck. I've been reading the OE shop manual over a few days performed all fuel related test all check out OK. Any Idea?