Swimming pool demolition.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Eric

Tommorow Im doing a pool demo. I will be taking photos. If you guys are interested I will post them on this site.

StuZ

Here is a link to the photos.
http://www.bobcatforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=52&gallerypage=0&path=Swimming%20Pool%20Demo
If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.
Nice Job Eric !! How long did that take you ??

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

Nice Job Eric !! How long did that take you ??
That was just day 1. I will be finishing on Monday. I will add those photos as well. The boss wasnt in a hurry to finish it in one day, but if I had to I could. Hell, I can dig a swimming pool in one day including demoing existing items (concrete, trees, and grass), rough grading for new pool deck, layout and forming, digging (hogging out 150+ cubic yards of dirt), and cleaning up. To do this things have to go pretty smooth. You need 1 operator, 1 truck driver, and 1 laborer. Everyone has to be on the ball and doesnt have to be told what to do. Equipment needed is 2 each 10 wheeler dump trucks with 9 yard pup trailers (1 driver drives both trucks to dump / rotates trucks) , 863 Bobcat with tooth bucket, hydraulic breaker, laser level, and hand tools. This can be done in about 8 to 10 hours of actual work not including travel time to and from the job for the average size pool with a built in spa.

owensge

That was just day 1. I will be finishing on Monday. I will add those photos as well. The boss wasnt in a hurry to finish it in one day, but if I had to I could. Hell, I can dig a swimming pool in one day including demoing existing items (concrete, trees, and grass), rough grading for new pool deck, layout and forming, digging (hogging out 150+ cubic yards of dirt), and cleaning up. To do this things have to go pretty smooth. You need 1 operator, 1 truck driver, and 1 laborer. Everyone has to be on the ball and doesnt have to be told what to do. Equipment needed is 2 each 10 wheeler dump trucks with 9 yard pup trailers (1 driver drives both trucks to dump / rotates trucks) , 863 Bobcat with tooth bucket, hydraulic breaker, laser level, and hand tools. This can be done in about 8 to 10 hours of actual work not including travel time to and from the job for the average size pool with a built in spa.
Eric, great pics! Can't wait to see the final shots!
Also, I fixed an issue with your "Eric's Pics" folder in the Photos section. I thought that I was allowing for apostrophies in my code, but it tanked anyway! I changed it to "Erics Pics" without the apostrophy -- I will fix the issue in code.
Bobcat Forum Webmaster

Tigerotor77W

Eric, great pics! Can't wait to see the final shots!
Also, I fixed an issue with your "Eric's Pics" folder in the Photos section. I thought that I was allowing for apostrophies in my code, but it tanked anyway! I changed it to "Erics Pics" without the apostrophy -- I will fix the issue in code.
Bobcat Forum Webmaster
Great pics! Thanks for posting them!

Swanman

Below is a link to day 2 and finished job photos.

http://www.bobcatforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?&tabid=52&path=Swimming%20Pool%20Demo&currentstrip=3
Eric Thanks for the pics. do you guys bid these jobs or are they hourly? Also, what about compaction to minimize settling? Wouldn't the mini ex work better than the SSL for hammering the concrete? Tim

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

Eric Thanks for the pics. do you guys bid these jobs or are they hourly? Also, what about compaction to minimize settling? Wouldn't the mini ex work better than the SSL for hammering the concrete? Tim
We bid jobs and do hourly work as well. This job was a bid but I would say 95% of our work is time and material / hourly.

As far as compaction goes, I wheel roll with the bobcat and a bucket of dirt to add weight. I do this in 6" to 10" lifts / layers.

To be honest I think I can break out concrete faster with my skidsteer than with the Excavator (337 Bobcat Ex with 1,200 ft lb breaker). The Ex cant manipulate things and pry as easily and quickly as the skidsteer. The advatage to having our Ex with a breaker is the higher foot pounds (strength) and reach. As far as pool demo goes, you cant get the proper angle from inside the pool area on the breaker to break out the inside walls. You would have to try and balance the breaker while breaking from the top of the bond beam down through the 6" thick pool wall down 2' to 3'. This is hard to do and time consuming. The breaker bounces off the wall easily mostly because all the play in the arm and hinges and a 3" bit on a 6" wall. You can get the proper angle from the top while sitting on the deck but then you cant see where your breaking and often there is not enough room around the pool to do this here in CA (see photos). This is just my 2 cents.

bottlefed89

We bid jobs and do hourly work as well. This job was a bid but I would say 95% of our work is time and material / hourly.

As far as compaction goes, I wheel roll with the bobcat and a bucket of dirt to add weight. I do this in 6" to 10" lifts / layers.

To be honest I think I can break out concrete faster with my skidsteer than with the Excavator (337 Bobcat Ex with 1,200 ft lb breaker). The Ex cant manipulate things and pry as easily and quickly as the skidsteer. The advatage to having our Ex with a breaker is the higher foot pounds (strength) and reach. As far as pool demo goes, you cant get the proper angle from inside the pool area on the breaker to break out the inside walls. You would have to try and balance the breaker while breaking from the top of the bond beam down through the 6" thick pool wall down 2' to 3'. This is hard to do and time consuming. The breaker bounces off the wall easily mostly because all the play in the arm and hinges and a 3" bit on a 6" wall. You can get the proper angle from the top while sitting on the deck but then you cant see where your breaking and often there is not enough room around the pool to do this here in CA (see photos). This is just my 2 cents.
Hey, I just happened upon this thread, and am seeking advice as I have a project like this to bid. As far as code goes, I am not required to tear out the bottom of the pool. is punching some holes in the bottom going to be adequate drainage?? Also, I am only required to tear out the existing concrete to one foot below finish grade... How should I plan on doing this?? WIll I hae to have a breaker?? I can't use concrete debris bigger than 12" from other sites to fill, so what should the fill consist of?? Thanks for any help, as you can tell this is my first pool job, I am anxious to do it, but want to know all the details before I get going. thanks greg [email protected]

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

Hey, I just happened upon this thread, and am seeking advice as I have a project like this to bid. As far as code goes, I am not required to tear out the bottom of the pool. is punching some holes in the bottom going to be adequate drainage?? Also, I am only required to tear out the existing concrete to one foot below finish grade... How should I plan on doing this?? WIll I hae to have a breaker?? I can't use concrete debris bigger than 12" from other sites to fill, so what should the fill consist of?? Thanks for any help, as you can tell this is my first pool job, I am anxious to do it, but want to know all the details before I get going. thanks greg [email protected]
If your not going to break out a 4' x 4' hole in the bottom then I would break out (6) 12" x 12" holes in the bottom area spaced evenly apart and some in the shallow end. You will need a breaker to do this job! If you already have a bobcat then not renting a breaker would be a foolish mistake. I think you can rent a breaker for about $150 per day. To use any other tool to punch holes in the floor and tear down the sides would only be more work and it will take longer. The top 12" edge of the pool is called the bond beam and is roughly 12" x 12" of concrete and has extra rebar running through it. The pool walls are usualy only 6" thick. Fill the pool with the cheapest material you can get a hold of in your area. It just has to be compactable and not have trash or green waste in it and no solid debris larger than 12" as stated in the specifications. Then I usualy finish the fill job with 18" to 24" of good to decent top soil. Below is a link to my photos of my recent pool demo job. I even added descriptions to help explain the steps. It should help you out alot. By the way there are 4 pages of pictures. Good luck!

http://www.bobcatforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=52&gallerypage=0&path=Swimming%20Pool%20Demo

AV

Hey Eric nice pics of your demo... What do you charge for something like that? AV

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

Hey Eric nice pics of your demo... What do you charge for something like that? AV
To many factors can affect the price of any pool demo job. Access, run from pool to where the truck is, where your fill material is coming from, and more. Partial demo and backill of that pool was about $3,500.