swapping tired tec16hp to a Kohler..shaft size different?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

1816case

I posted in 'Case' section but maybe here is better. I pulled the 16 hp Tecumseh from my case 1816 and plan on putting in a v-twin Kohler. outside of deck height different I see another issue and wondering what others have done. I need the triple groove 6" pulley that was on the original Tecumseh as it has a built in centrifugal clutch on inside. Problem is it came off bigger shaft. The Tecumseh is 1 3/16" where the Kohler.. and most v-twins are 1 1/8" shafts? That means a sleeve would need to enlarge shaft 1/16" (so sleeve only be 1/32" walls)- isn't that too thin? I can't find any on net. I also can't find any info on if any other engines have same size shaft as Tecumseh ( 1 3/16") if I could.. maybe I'd re-sell kohler and buy different.

Tazza

Staff member
If the shaft is parallel, i see no issues with a thin sleeve.... The key does all the work with transmitting the power to the clutch. The sleeve just stops it wobbling.

OP
OP

1816case

If the shaft is parallel, i see no issues with a thin sleeve.... The key does all the work with transmitting the power to the clutch. The sleeve just stops it wobbling.
Thanks Tazza.. Got one ordered.