Swapping out boss controls to analog gauges

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Digger74

Has any done this before? I'm in the process. Had enough of the digital gauges going on the blink. Just having trouble finding the right wire for my engine temp to match up with my old boss wiring diagram.

SkidRoe

Are you installing Bobcat factory gauges or generic aftermarket ones?
My thought would be to leave all of the BOSS hardware in place and install parallel gauges. I know that this is not an elegant solution, but it would avoid potential issues involved in partially disabling the BOSS system.
As far as you temp gauge goes, can you install a parallel sensor for the gauge only?
HTH - SR

Tazza

Staff member
Are you installing Bobcat factory gauges or generic aftermarket ones?
My thought would be to leave all of the BOSS hardware in place and install parallel gauges. I know that this is not an elegant solution, but it would avoid potential issues involved in partially disabling the BOSS system.
As far as you temp gauge goes, can you install a parallel sensor for the gauge only?
HTH - SR
Good advise.
Removing the BOSS box will mean your aux hydraulics will no longer work, so it makes things more difficult.
I don't know if the BOSS system has over temperature protection or not, if it does, and the temperature is high, it will shut down on you, so you could possibly remove the wire to the sensor to fool it and install an analogue gauge.
What have you done to try and fix the issue? have you changed the sender if it's reading high?

OP
OP
D

Digger74

Good advise.
Removing the BOSS box will mean your aux hydraulics will no longer work, so it makes things more difficult.
I don't know if the BOSS system has over temperature protection or not, if it does, and the temperature is high, it will shut down on you, so you could possibly remove the wire to the sensor to fool it and install an analogue gauge.
What have you done to try and fix the issue? have you changed the sender if it's reading high?
Good evening fellas Appreciate the info!! Before calling the dealer i did some trial and error. I have both Boss and non Boss wiring schematics, somewhat similar. The Boss control box behind the seat houses quite a few components, engine coolant ,air filter, magnetic pick up, engine oil pressure ,fuel level, coolant level ,hyd oil temp ,hyd charge pressure and pre filter pressure. 1/3 of them apply to me, engine coolant, oil pressure and fuel level. My first priority was my engine temp. I traced out the new temperature wire purple white to the 30 pin on the boss. Then i traced out the yellow red wire from my temp sensor also to my 30 pin boss. i cut them 4" s back and temporarily connected them, logically thinking it's gonna work! Not !!!! There was only one thing left to change, the sensor! I called the dealer today and he told me i had to change the sensor to a Part # 6658818 $30.00 Cnd and oil pressure switch Part# 6631010.$70.00 Cnd. I never inquired about the fuel sensor because my plug on the sensor is broke off and it looks like a huge job to replace. Parts will be here with in 2 weeks, the joys of living in the middle of the bush. I will update my status as the parts are replaced. Other then that, i'll keep the boss module plugged in. the machine runs fine and auxiliary hydraulic work great.

OP
OP
D

Digger74

Good evening fellas Appreciate the info!! Before calling the dealer i did some trial and error. I have both Boss and non Boss wiring schematics, somewhat similar. The Boss control box behind the seat houses quite a few components, engine coolant ,air filter, magnetic pick up, engine oil pressure ,fuel level, coolant level ,hyd oil temp ,hyd charge pressure and pre filter pressure. 1/3 of them apply to me, engine coolant, oil pressure and fuel level. My first priority was my engine temp. I traced out the new temperature wire purple white to the 30 pin on the boss. Then i traced out the yellow red wire from my temp sensor also to my 30 pin boss. i cut them 4" s back and temporarily connected them, logically thinking it's gonna work! Not !!!! There was only one thing left to change, the sensor! I called the dealer today and he told me i had to change the sensor to a Part # 6658818 $30.00 Cnd and oil pressure switch Part# 6631010.$70.00 Cnd. I never inquired about the fuel sensor because my plug on the sensor is broke off and it looks like a huge job to replace. Parts will be here with in 2 weeks, the joys of living in the middle of the bush. I will update my status as the parts are replaced. Other then that, i'll keep the boss module plugged in. the machine runs fine and auxiliary hydraulic work great.
All bobcat gauges as well. I order up both left and right panels. I just took a serial number off a friend of mines 753 non boss machine around the same year. It had a oil light on it as well and a toggle for the glow plugs. I ordered those as well.

Tazza

Staff member
All bobcat gauges as well. I order up both left and right panels. I just took a serial number off a friend of mines 753 non boss machine around the same year. It had a oil light on it as well and a toggle for the glow plugs. I ordered those as well.
Hopefully the new sensors fix the issues.
Interested in seeing how you go with the swap to alalogue gauges.

OP
OP
D

Digger74

Hopefully the new sensors fix the issues.
Interested in seeing how you go with the swap to alalogue gauges.
I installed the temperature sensor tonight! Works perfect. I had to drain the antifreeze down to do so. 1" socket to pull out the old sensor with two 10" extensions and one universal socket. It came out easy but awkward. The challenging part was snipping the old yellow green wire and crimping a connector on it for the new sensor. Attaching the little nut wasn't too bad. But driver worked well. I had the wires already snipped to the BIC for the sensor. Machine ran great while I was waiting for parts. So I added the antifreeze in the reservoir first then topped the rad up because it was in a calkeyed angle. I started the machine up and waited for warm up, suddenly it stopped, if started it again, ran well. Stopped a minute later. The temperature was rising slowly so I felt good knowing I wasn't over heating the machine. I'm thinking I'm needing to top up fully and try again tomorrow. There is a sensor just below my rad cap. I'll keep you fellas posted. Cheers.

OP
OP
D

Digger74

I installed the temperature sensor tonight! Works perfect. I had to drain the antifreeze down to do so. 1" socket to pull out the old sensor with two 10" extensions and one universal socket. It came out easy but awkward. The challenging part was snipping the old yellow green wire and crimping a connector on it for the new sensor. Attaching the little nut wasn't too bad. But driver worked well. I had the wires already snipped to the BIC for the sensor. Machine ran great while I was waiting for parts. So I added the antifreeze in the reservoir first then topped the rad up because it was in a calkeyed angle. I started the machine up and waited for warm up, suddenly it stopped, if started it again, ran well. Stopped a minute later. The temperature was rising slowly so I felt good knowing I wasn't over heating the machine. I'm thinking I'm needing to top up fully and try again tomorrow. There is a sensor just below my rad cap. I'll keep you fellas posted. Cheers.
How do I add pictures?

walio123

Тhis sensor below radiator cap is for the level of antifreeze . If the level is low, it may be the reason to stop the engine. I can not remember the spelling message only low antifreeze or after several warnings stop the engine.

Bobcatdan

Тhis sensor below radiator cap is for the level of antifreeze . If the level is low, it may be the reason to stop the engine. I can not remember the spelling message only low antifreeze or after several warnings stop the engine.
Removing BOSS is the best thing you can do! BOSS is nothing great when works and a royal pain when it doesn't. New harness, gauges and a sensor or two and you have a great machine.

TriHonu

Removing BOSS is the best thing you can do! BOSS is nothing great when works and a royal pain when it doesn't. New harness, gauges and a sensor or two and you have a great machine.
&nbsp
If it stops again, don't touch anything, exit the machine and check your fuel shutoff. If it is closed, it was most likely closed by the BOSS Controller not receiving a signal from the Temp Gauge.
The basic operation of the BOSS system is to monitor temps and pressures. If any are outside the normal limits, the controller removes the 12v signal to the Fuel Shutoff Solenoid Hold Coil and the machine shuts down to prevent catastrophic damage to the machine.
The missing Temp Sensor is probably causing an EC-3 (Engine Coolant Wiring Not Connected) error.
As long as the fault remains, the BOSS Controller will allow restarts, but the timer will continue to shut down the Fuel Shutoff Solenoid Hold Coil after 30 seconds. This allows the operator to run the loader long enough to move/load the machine to get it in for service.

OP
OP
D

Digger74

&nbsp
If it stops again, don't touch anything, exit the machine and check your fuel shutoff. If it is closed, it was most likely closed by the BOSS Controller not receiving a signal from the Temp Gauge.
The basic operation of the BOSS system is to monitor temps and pressures. If any are outside the normal limits, the controller removes the 12v signal to the Fuel Shutoff Solenoid Hold Coil and the machine shuts down to prevent catastrophic damage to the machine.
The missing Temp Sensor is probably causing an EC-3 (Engine Coolant Wiring Not Connected) error.
As long as the fault remains, the BOSS Controller will allow restarts, but the timer will continue to shut down the Fuel Shutoff Solenoid Hold Coil after 30 seconds. This allows the operator to run the loader long enough to move/load the machine to get it in for service.
Hello Folks The swap out is now complete to my satisfaction. It was around 700.00ish to complete, a bit more then the digital screen. But now I have all analog gauges with no hassle from the computer screen anymore!! Parts; 6708425 LH panel and RT hand panel, lost part number 6668927 glow plug switch 6636018 indicator light (this has oil pressure and hydraulic features) 6658818 engine temp sensor 6631010 oil pressure sensor 19F4 oil pressure sensor bushing 21 pin cab wiring harness fuel gauge volt meter gauge temp gauge This is for a 753 non boss S/N 515811001-515814193 Lets start on the right hand panel. Every wire was accounted for. The only gauge that worked was the voltmeter as it's not tied into the boss system. The hour meter wire didn't work either so I robbed a power supply off my fuel gauge. The fuel gauge and temp didn't work either. The fuel was obvious as my plugin was broken off the sensor and I never bothered looking into it because it looked like a had to remove the hydraulic pump due to interference on removal. The temp sensor had to be changed. It took a couple long extensions and a universal socket and I think around a 1'' socket, make sure to disconnect your battery as the alternator 'live wire' is right there as well. Trust me, I know!! lol Once sensor was changed and I took the direct wire yell/red from sensor and cut it out from the boss and attached to the pur/wht on the engine side of the 21 pin it worked well. Soldered and heat shrunk. Now with the left Panel There was quite a few extra accessories plugs on this side. I had to order a glow plug switch which worked as well and a engine oil pressure/hydraulic indicator light. All the wires paired up nicely. For the oil pressure switch to work a had to change that sensor as well and reroute the wiring. I took the direct wire from the oil pressure switch yel/dgn and had to bypass the 21 pin harness because the engine side of the 21 plug was utilized by some other colour that went to the boss that I didn't want to mess with. The wire from the light indictor was also yel/dgn. So I attached them directly, soldered and heat shrunk. Finally I was left with the hydraulic light indicator. That was easy. in order to do that correctly I would've had to order the engine side of the 21 pin because the wiring was a lot different along with the sensor set up, so I left it alone for the boss system to keep a eye on it. I hope this helps others out there. It wasn't cost efficient unless I shopped on ebay, but I didn't. I wanted to be done with the digital screen because who knows when I would've had to buy another one.

OP
OP
D

Digger74

Hello Folks The swap out is now complete to my satisfaction. It was around 700.00ish to complete, a bit more then the digital screen. But now I have all analog gauges with no hassle from the computer screen anymore!! Parts; 6708425 LH panel and RT hand panel, lost part number 6668927 glow plug switch 6636018 indicator light (this has oil pressure and hydraulic features) 6658818 engine temp sensor 6631010 oil pressure sensor 19F4 oil pressure sensor bushing 21 pin cab wiring harness fuel gauge volt meter gauge temp gauge This is for a 753 non boss S/N 515811001-515814193 Lets start on the right hand panel. Every wire was accounted for. The only gauge that worked was the voltmeter as it's not tied into the boss system. The hour meter wire didn't work either so I robbed a power supply off my fuel gauge. The fuel gauge and temp didn't work either. The fuel was obvious as my plugin was broken off the sensor and I never bothered looking into it because it looked like a had to remove the hydraulic pump due to interference on removal. The temp sensor had to be changed. It took a couple long extensions and a universal socket and I think around a 1'' socket, make sure to disconnect your battery as the alternator 'live wire' is right there as well. Trust me, I know!! lol Once sensor was changed and I took the direct wire yell/red from sensor and cut it out from the boss and attached to the pur/wht on the engine side of the 21 pin it worked well. Soldered and heat shrunk. Now with the left Panel There was quite a few extra accessories plugs on this side. I had to order a glow plug switch which worked as well and a engine oil pressure/hydraulic indicator light. All the wires paired up nicely. For the oil pressure switch to work a had to change that sensor as well and reroute the wiring. I took the direct wire from the oil pressure switch yel/dgn and had to bypass the 21 pin harness because the engine side of the 21 plug was utilized by some other colour that went to the boss that I didn't want to mess with. The wire from the light indictor was also yel/dgn. So I attached them directly, soldered and heat shrunk. Finally I was left with the hydraulic light indicator. That was easy. in order to do that correctly I would've had to order the engine side of the 21 pin because the wiring was a lot different along with the sensor set up, so I left it alone for the boss system to keep a eye on it. I hope this helps others out there. It wasn't cost efficient unless I shopped on ebay, but I didn't. I wanted to be done with the digital screen because who knows when I would've had to buy another one.
I forgot to mention about the hydraulic side of that light indicator. It looked after the prefilter pressure, hydraulic temp and hydraulic charge pressure. Things I'm not too overly concerned about knowing the boss is still looking after it. Id be more challenging to figure out if something went wrong. Change those hydraulic filters!!!

Tazza

Staff member
I forgot to mention about the hydraulic side of that light indicator. It looked after the prefilter pressure, hydraulic temp and hydraulic charge pressure. Things I'm not too overly concerned about knowing the boss is still looking after it. Id be more challenging to figure out if something went wrong. Change those hydraulic filters!!!
Wow, you went all out.
Do you have any pictures of the end result?

Tazza

Staff member
Is there something specific you'd like to see? And how do you upload pictures? Thx
I'm interested in the dash.
To post pictures, host them on a file sharing site like photobucket. Load the image, right click then right click paste into your post. It should show up.

kilohertz

I'm interested in the dash.
To post pictures, host them on a file sharing site like photobucket. Load the image, right click then right click paste into your post. It should show up.
Hey Digger74, I'm really interested in chatting with you about your conversion, I am going through exactly the same conversion on my 853H. Wondering what you used for an indication from BOSS, that there is a problem, or do you just wait for it to shut down? I would like to figure out a way to have an indicator light that would come on or flash the codes. Will take a bit of thinking thru and design... Look forward to hearing from you. thanks!

OP
OP
D

Digger74

Hey Digger74, I'm really interested in chatting with you about your conversion, I am going through exactly the same conversion on my 853H. Wondering what you used for an indication from BOSS, that there is a problem, or do you just wait for it to shut down? I would like to figure out a way to have an indicator light that would come on or flash the codes. Will take a bit of thinking thru and design... Look forward to hearing from you. thanks!
Kilo, I have no visual indication from boss anymore, all the functions are still available for safe guarding. If something does happened to shut down , I'll check the basics. If no luck, I'll be off to the bobcat dealer. I had absolutely no display screen to begin with. I didn't want to take a chance on another screen going on the blitz again so I just changed the "key" safe guarding components to analog, oil pressure switch, engine temp and fuel level. The rest I wasn't too concerned about, because if something did happen I would more then likely be bringing it in. Good luck on that and feel free to add your results and heartaches to this thread. I am curious as well!! Digger 74

balbert

Kilo, I have no visual indication from boss anymore, all the functions are still available for safe guarding. If something does happened to shut down , I'll check the basics. If no luck, I'll be off to the bobcat dealer. I had absolutely no display screen to begin with. I didn't want to take a chance on another screen going on the blitz again so I just changed the "key" safe guarding components to analog, oil pressure switch, engine temp and fuel level. The rest I wasn't too concerned about, because if something did happen I would more then likely be bringing it in. Good luck on that and feel free to add your results and heartaches to this thread. I am curious as well!! Digger 74
Hello Digger...I have been reviewing the instrumentation changeover you performed on you 853 - most notably that you have wiring schematics for both Boss and non- Boss units. I am seeking to find a set of Boss schematics that I need to do some significant troubleshooting on my unit and can't seem to find any on line. Would you be able to share yours with me? I would appreciate any help you may be able to provide. Thanks...

telliott

I have a 21 pin engine harness wanting to do away with the Boss system all together. If I did all that and bought a 21 pin cab harness. Could I get mine running? It had a harness fire on the left side over the battery and some cut out the old harness before I bought it. I could use any advise relevant to bypassing the Boss system in a 763.

Latest posts