Suggetsions on removing the old step tread on the lift arm

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bcollida

I am going to do some repainting on the front of my skid steer. while I am at it I am putting new tread step (the black stick on stuff you step on when entering the cab) Do you have suggestions on the best way to remove the old step pad thats about 1/2 worn off

Tazza

Staff member
Heat gun or anything that will heat it to loosen the glue.
Thats about the only thing i can think of too that won't destroy your paint. If its factory paint, some mild thinners will work, but if its not factory it may take the paint with it too. If you go for thinners, try a small area that you can't see first!

sledesigns

Thats about the only thing i can think of too that won't destroy your paint. If its factory paint, some mild thinners will work, but if its not factory it may take the paint with it too. If you go for thinners, try a small area that you can't see first!
Anyone else ever work in mud, get it on their boots, then step on that sandpaper step & slide right off it? Im wanting to replace that stick-on stuff with a bolt on metal tread like the gnarly treads on the stock bucket...or is that a bad idea?

Tazza

Staff member
Anyone else ever work in mud, get it on their boots, then step on that sandpaper step & slide right off it? Im wanting to replace that stick-on stuff with a bolt on metal tread like the gnarly treads on the stock bucket...or is that a bad idea?
I personally think the grip tape is better than checker plate. Grip tape has all the sand particles to give you more grip. Checker plate is great for hard wearing though.

OP
OP
B

bcollida

Yes, I slide off all the time, that's why I wanted to put some fresh new sandpaper step on it to see if that helps out. Anyway, using a heat gun worked great. The old worn out step came right off. I'll put some new paint on later this week, wait a few days for the paint to air out and then stick the new steps on. thanks for your help.

coreya3212

Yes, I slide off all the time, that's why I wanted to put some fresh new sandpaper step on it to see if that helps out. Anyway, using a heat gun worked great. The old worn out step came right off. I'll put some new paint on later this week, wait a few days for the paint to air out and then stick the new steps on. thanks for your help.
How a bout a small rectangle of Expanded metal? Couple 1/2 inch spacers under it tacked on... jus a thought.

brt

Now that would give some decent girip!
I'm going to replace my worn-out non skid tape with the rubber diamond plate tape available from Harbor Freight. It is peel-and-stick. The price is right and if it doesn't work out I can always go back to the tried and true non skid tape. It comes in a few different sizes.

jerry

I'm going to replace my worn-out non skid tape with the rubber diamond plate tape available from Harbor Freight. It is peel-and-stick. The price is right and if it doesn't work out I can always go back to the tried and true non skid tape. It comes in a few different sizes.
I used peel and stick stair tread safety covering from the hardware store. Worked good enuf.