Stuck injectors!!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Timjame

Posting a quick question before I pull the head and try a hydraulic press to get these suckers out. I have a bobcat 863 with the Duetz engine. Need to replace all four fuel injectors. They are corroded in there. Rust has claimed a hold of them. I removed the hold down bracket which I believe is all I needed to remove. They won't budge. No room to get pliers on them (won't matter as they would be useless) and I've had them soaking in the good stuff (deep creep by seafoam) for two days multiple applications. Have a 20 lb slide hammer with a nut welded to the it and threaded on the injector fuel line connection. I either break the weld or strip the threads of the nut after a hard four or five attempts with the slide hammer. Won't budge at all. No room to fit a socket around it and use another nut/washers to draw it out. I've put a little heat on it but with all the grease, deep creep, and wires close by it makes me nervous. Anybody had luck doing anything else? My last resort is to pull the head and try to press it through with a hydraulic press but at the angle it's at with that small of a hole I'm not real optimistic that will work. Dealer won't quite a price and is 6 weeks out from being able to get it in so that's not really an option. Thanks for any input!!

Hotrod1830

If your already replacing them, heat them up one by one with a torch and let them cool. do this 2-3 times each and then try the slide hammer. With fuel around, be carefull not to start a fire. heat is probably the easiest way. Propane torch will do if you dont have acetylene. Just need a big temp difference between the head and injector to break the corrosion.

Hotrod1830

If your already replacing them, heat them up one by one with a torch and let them cool. do this 2-3 times each and then try the slide hammer. With fuel around, be carefull not to start a fire. heat is probably the easiest way. Propane torch will do if you dont have acetylene. Just need a big temp difference between the head and injector to break the corrosion.
Or should say continue with the heat. Just try your best to get all the grease and wires out of the way.

OP
OP
T

Timjame

Or should say continue with the heat. Just try your best to get all the grease and wires out of the way.
Thanks. I heated twice one and after a ton ofnslide hammer and making a socket that did somewhat fit I got one out. Worked on the second but stripped threads on both the injector and nut. I've worked on a TON of things over the last 30 yrs. these are the most stuck/seized thing I've had to pull. What a crappy design. If you're gonna have open injectors, you've got to have some sort of sleeve between the metal body of the injector and head it slides into on the top. Unbelievable. I'm looking into a tool now Either making it or buying one that grabs the injector by the groves in the side instead of relying on the threads since they appear to be weak and now at least one is stripped. Not lovin German engineering right about now....

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks. I heated twice one and after a ton ofnslide hammer and making a socket that did somewhat fit I got one out. Worked on the second but stripped threads on both the injector and nut. I've worked on a TON of things over the last 30 yrs. these are the most stuck/seized thing I've had to pull. What a crappy design. If you're gonna have open injectors, you've got to have some sort of sleeve between the metal body of the injector and head it slides into on the top. Unbelievable. I'm looking into a tool now Either making it or buying one that grabs the injector by the groves in the side instead of relying on the threads since they appear to be weak and now at least one is stripped. Not lovin German engineering right about now....
A slide hammer should have made them let go, as you mention that the threads are now gone, can you weld to the body of the injector to get a better grip?
Heat is a good idea, keep an extinguisher handy just in case.

7LBSSMALLIE

A slide hammer should have made them let go, as you mention that the threads are now gone, can you weld to the body of the injector to get a better grip?
Heat is a good idea, keep an extinguisher handy just in case.
been thetre done it, never seize on install tazz right there junk now weld em up and slap em out

OP
OP
T

Timjame

or pull the head probally woldnt hurt for a new gasket and time belt anyway. if yore keeping it.
Well three weeks into it and still no luck. Heat on and off does absolutely nothing. Had to return the slide hammer right about the time you suggested welding it on. I may buy one and try that. I made a bracket that grabbed the side of the injector below the notches and tried to extract that upwards. Tons of pressure on it and nothing. I've worked on several diesels and gas engines and rusty trucks over the years. Never had something this seized up before. Unreal.

Tazza

Staff member
Well three weeks into it and still no luck. Heat on and off does absolutely nothing. Had to return the slide hammer right about the time you suggested welding it on. I may buy one and try that. I made a bracket that grabbed the side of the injector below the notches and tried to extract that upwards. Tons of pressure on it and nothing. I've worked on several diesels and gas engines and rusty trucks over the years. Never had something this seized up before. Unreal.
If you have access, make your own slide hammer.
Get some round steel stock for the hammer, drill a hole in the middle, get a rod, weld one end to the injector, slide the "hammer" on and weld a cap to the other end of the rod. I have a dodgy home made one and it works a treat. It breaks welds every so often, i just weld it up and go again.
Just make sure the stopper you weld on is substantial, you want all that force to be transferred to the rod then injector, if it's thin, it will bend, loosing some of the energy from each blow.
Worst case, as mentioned, the head may need to come off to press them out from the other side.....

flyerdan

If you have access, make your own slide hammer.
Get some round steel stock for the hammer, drill a hole in the middle, get a rod, weld one end to the injector, slide the "hammer" on and weld a cap to the other end of the rod. I have a dodgy home made one and it works a treat. It breaks welds every so often, i just weld it up and go again.
Just make sure the stopper you weld on is substantial, you want all that force to be transferred to the rod then injector, if it's thin, it will bend, loosing some of the energy from each blow.
Worst case, as mentioned, the head may need to come off to press them out from the other side.....
If you have air available, one of those Harbor Freight air hammers do a fine job at getting stubborn stuff apart.
Since we're in fabrication mode, a rod that can be welded to the injector with something like a pipe cap welded onto the edge of the other end where a dull chisel can push on will probably yard those out in short order.

OP
OP
T

Timjame

If you have air available, one of those Harbor Freight air hammers do a fine job at getting stubborn stuff apart.
Since we're in fabrication mode, a rod that can be welded to the injector with something like a pipe cap welded onto the edge of the other end where a dull chisel can push on will probably yard those out in short order.
Great ideas! Unfortunately I haven't had time to get back to it but willl soon and now have a great couple of options thanks to this forum. I enjoy reading the creative fabrication stuff here! Thanks a lot! Will keep you updated at what works the best. I did weld up a pencil puller type device and it solidly holds the injector but it's in there so tight all the bolts used to draw it upward just strips. So onward and upward to the ideas above.

OP
OP
T

Timjame

Great ideas! Unfortunately I haven't had time to get back to it but willl soon and now have a great couple of options thanks to this forum. I enjoy reading the creative fabrication stuff here! Thanks a lot! Will keep you updated at what works the best. I did weld up a pencil puller type device and it solidly holds the injector but it's in there so tight all the bolts used to draw it upward just strips. So onward and upward to the ideas above.
Well I got the injectors out. What a pain. For anybody reading that may have a similar situation I had to drill them out. Drill the top through and bottom through then smack the seized portion of the injector down through hole at the top of the head. Anyway I installed new injectors with the copper washers and wouldn't you know it, they aren't sealing. Every compression stroke the pressure pushes right past the injectors with a big puff. They are sitting flush in there, I made sure it was clean prior to installing them. Any thoughts?????

Tazza

Staff member
Well I got the injectors out. What a pain. For anybody reading that may have a similar situation I had to drill them out. Drill the top through and bottom through then smack the seized portion of the injector down through hole at the top of the head. Anyway I installed new injectors with the copper washers and wouldn't you know it, they aren't sealing. Every compression stroke the pressure pushes right past the injectors with a big puff. They are sitting flush in there, I made sure it was clean prior to installing them. Any thoughts?????
Glad you got them out.
Are they genuine washers? I'm wondering if they could be the wrong size, not sitting correctly. Are these injectors held in place with a plate and bolt pushing them down? Not sure what could be out of alignment causing it to not seal....