Squealing 763

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Doug55

My 763 has started squealing when I put it under load. I'm thinking it could be the drive belt? Is there an adjustment? Or do I need to replace? Whats the the difficulty rating in this one. I've replaced both lift and tilt servo's and I'd rate that a 5 out of a 10. Any one? Thanks, Happy New Year.

Fishfiles

very easy to change , removing the battery gives alot more room , there is an idler wheel in the middle of the two pullies , one bolt holds the idler in place and holds adjustment as the idler bracket is slotted , newer idlers have a pointer that shows when the adjustment is correct , 3:00 position is the correct adjustment , it will be facing right at you on a horizonal plain , the pointer breaks alot and may not move when you adjust it , you adjust it with a pry bar between the top of the pump mount/bell housing and the idler bracket , it is hard to get two hands in there hold the idler to adjustment with the bar and then tighten the bolt , so if you snug the bolt enough so that the idler will still move but hold it's spot when you let go , you can pull it where you want then get in there with a ratchet and tighten the bolt , if the pointer is not working you can still use the idler if the bearings are good , you have to adjust the belt by feel unless you have a Bobcat drive belt adjustment tool , which set it at 15 lbs of pull in a one inch pull -----------as far as if you need a new belt , you will have to look at it , sometimes the belt will spit into 2 or 3 seperate belts if the belt has cracks on the inside between the ribs then I would change it ,

DL9191

very easy to change , removing the battery gives alot more room , there is an idler wheel in the middle of the two pullies , one bolt holds the idler in place and holds adjustment as the idler bracket is slotted , newer idlers have a pointer that shows when the adjustment is correct , 3:00 position is the correct adjustment , it will be facing right at you on a horizonal plain , the pointer breaks alot and may not move when you adjust it , you adjust it with a pry bar between the top of the pump mount/bell housing and the idler bracket , it is hard to get two hands in there hold the idler to adjustment with the bar and then tighten the bolt , so if you snug the bolt enough so that the idler will still move but hold it's spot when you let go , you can pull it where you want then get in there with a ratchet and tighten the bolt , if the pointer is not working you can still use the idler if the bearings are good , you have to adjust the belt by feel unless you have a Bobcat drive belt adjustment tool , which set it at 15 lbs of pull in a one inch pull -----------as far as if you need a new belt , you will have to look at it , sometimes the belt will spit into 2 or 3 seperate belts if the belt has cracks on the inside between the ribs then I would change it ,
Thanks , once again you have saved me a ton of money.... Happy New year

HarryN

Just wondering DL9191, did you replace the belt or did the adjustment fix it??
Well, another BIG Thanks to "Fishfiles" for his great advice. I had the same problem. Was on my way to my local Bobcat dealer Friday for the belt. But they were closed and are not opened for the holiday weekend. Turned out I'm glad they were closed. I should never "assume"..... So, had the weekend to get in the 763 and check the belt tension......and exactly as explained, my "arrow" on the idler wheel was pointing to 12:30 1:00 ish. Took out battery as recommended got the arrow pointing to 3:00 and the squeal is gone. That probably saved me $100.

mrdeere1959

Well, another BIG Thanks to "Fishfiles" for his great advice. I had the same problem. Was on my way to my local Bobcat dealer Friday for the belt. But they were closed and are not opened for the holiday weekend. Turned out I'm glad they were closed. I should never "assume"..... So, had the weekend to get in the 763 and check the belt tension......and exactly as explained, my "arrow" on the idler wheel was pointing to 12:30 1:00 ish. Took out battery as recommended got the arrow pointing to 3:00 and the squeal is gone. That probably saved me $100.
belts are really pretty cheap. $38.00 or $58.00 depending on ser# for your 763

Fishfiles

belts are really pretty cheap. $38.00 or $58.00 depending on ser# for your 763
I hear ya Mr. Deere , I have a T180 belt and idler on order right now and that drive belt was only $25 but very high 3 hundred plus for the idler assembly ------------but Harry would have had to add 60 miles times 2 worth of fuel , 2 hours plus worth of time , plus a $6 bridge toll charge to the cost of the belt , making it a good saving -------Napa can match up some of the drive belts , lucky I am close to the main store as they are the only one that ever has it in stock , they are not cheaper , in fact they are more expensive , but sometimes , time is worth more than money -------here is another trick I have learned about doing the drive belt adjustment use a 1/2 dive ratchet with a deep dish 9/16 socket as the length is just long enough to clear the bell housing and not too long to hit the steel tubes, the bolt is usually pretty tight so I use a 7/8 deep socket witha 18 " long extension , slide the socket over the end of the ratchet and use the extension as a coon-ass cheater pipe --------------- when doing an adjustment on the belt it is always a good idea while you have it loosened up to check the slack of the bearings , the older idler assembles had cone bearings and races with grease packed in them , the newer assembles have sealed bearings , I use to rebuild them in the past and you still can if the bearing doesn't mess up the shaft , but I find that more times than not the bearing does spin on the shaft when it fails and rings the shaft or seizes up on it

HarryN

I hear ya Mr. Deere , I have a T180 belt and idler on order right now and that drive belt was only $25 but very high 3 hundred plus for the idler assembly ------------but Harry would have had to add 60 miles times 2 worth of fuel , 2 hours plus worth of time , plus a $6 bridge toll charge to the cost of the belt , making it a good saving -------Napa can match up some of the drive belts , lucky I am close to the main store as they are the only one that ever has it in stock , they are not cheaper , in fact they are more expensive , but sometimes , time is worth more than money -------here is another trick I have learned about doing the drive belt adjustment use a 1/2 dive ratchet with a deep dish 9/16 socket as the length is just long enough to clear the bell housing and not too long to hit the steel tubes, the bolt is usually pretty tight so I use a 7/8 deep socket witha 18 " long extension , slide the socket over the end of the ratchet and use the extension as a coon-ass cheater pipe --------------- when doing an adjustment on the belt it is always a good idea while you have it loosened up to check the slack of the bearings , the older idler assembles had cone bearings and races with grease packed in them , the newer assembles have sealed bearings , I use to rebuild them in the past and you still can if the bearing doesn't mess up the shaft , but I find that more times than not the bearing does spin on the shaft when it fails and rings the shaft or seizes up on it
Although I was able to solve this Squealing issue with the advice of Fishfiles, I thought anyone with a 1999 model 763 may want to know about the belts. Here are the current Bobcat part #'s for the 3 belts for the 763 (as of 1/5/12 in Louisiana USA) 6704720 Alternator/Water pump Belt $ 9.34, 6672021 Hydraulic Belt $58.54, 6715478 Fan Belt $16.57, Or, maybe you can find a different brand locally by cross referencing these numbers??