Spare tire locking

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

perry

Pick up two rims and had good used tires mounted, I will be mounting them on my trailer, along with my trailer spare, I prefer to have them standing up. Any suggestions on how to lock them?, I thought about using a 5/8 receiver hitch lock kit but, I need some way of securing them so they will not move. I don't want them rattling around.

Thanks

bobbie-g

Perry -- I have an '89 Chevy pickup with the mini-winch under the bed which holds my truck spare. I went to a salvage yard and got another ($25 if you shop around, $45 if you're in the same hurry I was), and mounted it under my trailer for the trailer spare. Drilled a 1/2" ++ hole in the side of the trailer frame so I could poke in the pickup tool to raise/lower the trailer spare. Since I only move the trailer with my pickup, I always have the tool available. Keeps tje spare way out of sight (you can only see it if you lay down on the ground) and it's cranked up tight against the trailer bottom so it doesn't rattle. I know you probably don't want to do that with 3 tires, but that's my solution which has worked well for the past couple of years. If any trailer vendors pick up on this and start equipping trailers with them, I expect royalties!!! ---Bob

OP
OP
P

perry

Perry -- I have an '89 Chevy pickup with the mini-winch under the bed which holds my truck spare. I went to a salvage yard and got another ($25 if you shop around, $45 if you're in the same hurry I was), and mounted it under my trailer for the trailer spare. Drilled a 1/2" ++ hole in the side of the trailer frame so I could poke in the pickup tool to raise/lower the trailer spare. Since I only move the trailer with my pickup, I always have the tool available. Keeps tje spare way out of sight (you can only see it if you lay down on the ground) and it's cranked up tight against the trailer bottom so it doesn't rattle. I know you probably don't want to do that with 3 tires, but that's my solution which has worked well for the past couple of years. If any trailer vendors pick up on this and start equipping trailers with them, I expect royalties!!! ---Bob
Bob, that's a great idea for the trailer spare but, dem' BC tires are way to heavy to mount under the trailer. I'll need to measure the underside of my trailer to see if there is enought room to mount the spare, mine is sort of a low boy...
Thanks

skidsteer.ca

Bob, that's a great idea for the trailer spare but, dem' BC tires are way to heavy to mount under the trailer. I'll need to measure the underside of my trailer to see if there is enought room to mount the spare, mine is sort of a low boy...
Thanks
IMG_0756.JPG
IMG_0759.JPG

Perry
This works good for the trailer tire.
Note the extensions to the trailer bump rail on the side of the trailer to keep the tire standing up straight.
A 12" bobcat tire may put you over legal width here, perhaps You could put it above or on the tongue across the front of the trailer.
The other option I have seen is racks on the front of the trailer to hold extra attachments and tires. I'd like to make some fork pockets under the deck to slide pallet forks into from the side
Ken

OP
OP
P

perry

Perry
This works good for the trailer tire.
Note the extensions to the trailer bump rail on the side of the trailer to keep the tire standing up straight.
A 12" bobcat tire may put you over legal width here, perhaps You could put it above or on the tongue across the front of the trailer.
The other option I have seen is racks on the front of the trailer to hold extra attachments and tires. I'd like to make some fork pockets under the deck to slide pallet forks into from the side
Ken
AAHHH! problem solved with trailer spare, thanks Ken.