sod unroller

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

1840Taylor

My brother had a recent project on one of his jobs building a a shoulder to a new driveway. when we filled it in and the owner wanted to have it sodded. the local landscapers didnt want to fool with it because it was 1/8th of a mile and needed 5 runs per side. They didnt want to lay cut sod. as the drive is open all day and has traffic in and out. It had to come in rolls and no one is equipped to do it. He took the rod company up on an offer to use a homebuilt rig they had to lay it but takes a 50 hp tractor to use. They did how ever cut the rolls down so his tractor could handle them. Im making one now for my 1840 Case. Im thinking of using a cylinder and 2 conesto make it clamp the centers f the rolls. Has anyone here ever used such a machine.

skidsteer.ca

All I hav e seen is a video of a bobcat one being used. You set the attachment down to cut the roll of sod by pushing athe cutter into the ground.
Post some pics of what you comeup with would be great.
Ken

Land-Tech

All I hav e seen is a video of a bobcat one being used. You set the attachment down to cut the roll of sod by pushing athe cutter into the ground.
Post some pics of what you comeup with would be great.
Ken
This link should take you to a picture of a sod roller I made when we had to do a baseball field.Hope the link works. Everything is off the shelf items except for the rams that I got out of the Northern catalog. The the backboard to fit the machine I got from Bobcat. I wanted to shift the roll to one side of the the machine or the other so that I could unroll the sod without walking on the sod I had just laid down. The sod farm built there rolls on 4" abs tubing so the max outside diameter of the cones is 5". The bearings are hub packages bought a Six Robbles and welded to receiver hitch tubing so that they would slide onto 2" square tubing that the fork arms were made of. To get the side to side motion from the fork I used the same trick with the receiver tubing. THe hydralics are connected to the aux on the machine The rolls of sod varied in size but 2' to 3' in diameter worked fine. Once you set the roll on the ground you backed out using the tilt to keep the roll on the ground. A hundred foot roll was about 200 sq feet. worked great Scott http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg301/LANDTEKK/PIC00012.jpg

OP
OP

1840Taylor

This link should take you to a picture of a sod roller I made when we had to do a baseball field.Hope the link works. Everything is off the shelf items except for the rams that I got out of the Northern catalog. The the backboard to fit the machine I got from Bobcat. I wanted to shift the roll to one side of the the machine or the other so that I could unroll the sod without walking on the sod I had just laid down. The sod farm built there rolls on 4" abs tubing so the max outside diameter of the cones is 5". The bearings are hub packages bought a Six Robbles and welded to receiver hitch tubing so that they would slide onto 2" square tubing that the fork arms were made of. To get the side to side motion from the fork I used the same trick with the receiver tubing. THe hydralics are connected to the aux on the machine The rolls of sod varied in size but 2' to 3' in diameter worked fine. Once you set the roll on the ground you backed out using the tilt to keep the roll on the ground. A hundred foot roll was about 200 sq feet. worked great Scott http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg301/LANDTEKK/PIC00012.jpg
That looks alot like what Im going for. I dont mind using the free tractor attachment but its hell it look behind you and get into position.and it doesnt track straight sometimes. Im down on the loader now I cant find a hydraulic leak in the belly.. I did pick up a set of cylinders at an auction this weekend and a set of roller hubs out of a bale unrolerthere to. I also loaded up a nice moldboard and cutting edge for my dozerblade project. Thanks for the picture. Taylor Lambert

Land-Tech

That looks alot like what Im going for. I dont mind using the free tractor attachment but its hell it look behind you and get into position.and it doesnt track straight sometimes. Im down on the loader now I cant find a hydraulic leak in the belly.. I did pick up a set of cylinders at an auction this weekend and a set of roller hubs out of a bale unrolerthere to. I also loaded up a nice moldboard and cutting edge for my dozerblade project. Thanks for the picture. Taylor Lambert
good luck, scott

Latest posts