smoky 751

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

nolteboy

Hi folks, I took a pretty extensive look thru the site hoping to get some clues without having to make a post, but I couldn't find a case exactly like mine... My 751 has 2100 hours on it - it's a 38hp diesel engine (not sure of the make) that has been well cared for and is tight (uses little oil, and has no visible leaks). I bought it from a neighbor whom I trust when it had 2000 hours, as he was upgrading to a larger machine. That was about a year and a half ago. I use it intermittently (as the hours suggest), but do make a point to start it up at least once every couple weeks, year round. Last spring I started seeing lots of bluish-white smoke and a very pronounced lack of power, with a "wheezy" character to the engine/exhaust noise. Sometimes just attempting to drive the machine forward would bog it down and it would stall out! I changed out fuel filter, both air filters, and put in new oil and filter, but no improvement. I was suspecting clogged injectors, and so purchased some 'special sauce' to add to the fuel in hopes of clearing up the problem. This stuff was called BG244, and whilst awfully expensive it did seem to have some ardent fans on the web. Well, it did indeed take care of MOST of the symptoms. The machine fires right up with 15-20 seconds of glowing. A little white smoke for a couple minutes, but as soon as it warms up there is no visible smoke at all AT LOW TO MEDIUM RPM's. However, as soon as I put the throttle past that I again hear that "chuffing" quality to the exhaust (a sort of uneven-ness, as if it's gasping) and I see a 'fair amount' of blue/white smoke. Also a lack of power at the higher RPM's, although the machine will now dig and do work. Regarding the smoke, I say blue/white because I'm not sure exactly which one it is. It's not blue like the sky, but neither is it while like my clean t-shirt - it's somewhere in between. I guess that if it's "bluish" then that means it's blue. I hope to high heaven it's not the rings (I wouldn't think it to be, at only 2000 hours), but I'm starting to get scared that it is. I supposed I should pull the injectors out and have a look, but that's a bigger job than I've done on this thing so far - I am not a mechanic, and certainly not a diesel mechanic. If anyone has any ideas, advice, "you shouldn't have done that's", or anything else, I'd be grateful to hear them.

Tazza

Staff member
If its the factory engine it will be a Peugeot, does it have the fly wheel on the right side? and the alternator on the left?
The injectors are easy to pull and get cleaned/checked. The white smoke you talk about sounds like engine oil. It could be bad valve stem seals or a blown head gasket/cracked head, this is a pretty big job. I would seriously doubt its a ring issue, 2,100 hours is nothing. I sold a machine that had the same engine and about 5,000 hours, it was perfect. Is it using oil now? is it using any coolant?
When you get it sorted, i'd suggest you change the timing belt too, they should be done every 1,000 hours.

OP
OP
N

nolteboy

If its the factory engine it will be a Peugeot, does it have the fly wheel on the right side? and the alternator on the left?
The injectors are easy to pull and get cleaned/checked. The white smoke you talk about sounds like engine oil. It could be bad valve stem seals or a blown head gasket/cracked head, this is a pretty big job. I would seriously doubt its a ring issue, 2,100 hours is nothing. I sold a machine that had the same engine and about 5,000 hours, it was perfect. Is it using oil now? is it using any coolant?
When you get it sorted, i'd suggest you change the timing belt too, they should be done every 1,000 hours.
yah I think its the Peugeot - features are as you describe, and it has some words in French on it. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts