Smokes and knocks after tipping over

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Gugs

I recently tipped my Cat 226B over forward at a 45 degree angle. The engine flooded and shut off before I could get it set upright. Once I set it upright I let it set overnight. The engine was of course locked up due to cylinders filling up so i pulled the plugs and pumped out fuel. Once everything was put back together it started with no issues. I let it idle for approx 30 minutes to make sure all was well prior to putting it back into use. It of course smoked heavily in the beginning, but now it seems to smoke more than it did prior to tipping and I am sure it has a small knock to it after it warms up. I am not sure if I am being overly nervous due to being the first time I tipped this machine or not, but is there anything that might have happened to cause this now seemingly smoking and knocking?

Tazza

Staff member
That is not great news.
I'd give it a harder run than just idle to burn off the oil/fuel.
How fast were you to shut the machine down when it tipped over?

OP
OP
G

Gugs

That is not great news.
I'd give it a harder run than just idle to burn off the oil/fuel.
How fast were you to shut the machine down when it tipped over?
It died on its own while i was trying to get the bucket down to set it back up. I cranked it once just to see if it was locked up or not, but as soon as I new it was I didnt push it any further. It didnt tip all the way over, but the bucket went down into the hole I was digging so it put it at about a 45 degree angle. I changed the engine oil/filter after it tipped and was told by a friend i should change the hydraulic oil as well. Is this needed? Trying to prevent any possible damage so I dont get into an expensive repair bill.

Tazza

Staff member
It died on its own while i was trying to get the bucket down to set it back up. I cranked it once just to see if it was locked up or not, but as soon as I new it was I didnt push it any further. It didnt tip all the way over, but the bucket went down into the hole I was digging so it put it at about a 45 degree angle. I changed the engine oil/filter after it tipped and was told by a friend i should change the hydraulic oil as well. Is this needed? Trying to prevent any possible damage so I dont get into an expensive repair bill.
I don't see why you need to change the hydro oil.
Not good if the engine stalled out on it's own, it means it got enough engine oil into the cylinders to stall it, there is possible rod or piston damage.
The only real way to know it to take the head off and measure the piston to deck height.
See if the noise and smoke is still there after a little longer, if so, time to pull the head and check further.

OP
OP
G

Gugs

I don't see why you need to change the hydro oil.
Not good if the engine stalled out on it's own, it means it got enough engine oil into the cylinders to stall it, there is possible rod or piston damage.
The only real way to know it to take the head off and measure the piston to deck height.
See if the noise and smoke is still there after a little longer, if so, time to pull the head and check further.
Thanks for the guidance.