Skid steer for small farm use

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bolo

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on a skid steer purchase. I will be building a house and 36' X 60' horse barn on 30 wooded acres.The property ranges from steep mountain side at the top to almost level at the bottom. With the exception of the pasture work, I will be working on some type of slope most of the time. My planned projects are as follows. (more to come i'm sure) 1. Clean up limbs, tops, and stumps after the logger clears 5 acre pasture, 1 acre home site, and the 1000' of driveway. Also clean up current dead fall in woods. Most of the stumps should be out of the ground as I am going to have the pasture cleared with a track loader. 2. Drill holes for 6" wooden fence posts.(fencing in about 15 acres) 3. Move and stack rocks and small boulders for retaining wall. 4. Move dirt, manure, and gravel. 5. Maintain 1000' of gravel driveway. 6. Cutting some trails through woods. After the initial property improvements, I will need it for some light duty dirt and gravel moving only. I'm thinking a skid steer with a root grapple, tooth and smooth buckets, and PH digger is the way to go. I already have a set of forks with quick attach. Looking for advice on a reliable brand, HP, options, hours, tracks or not, and other buying advice. I can do basic maintenance, but would leave the major stuff to the experts. Iwould like to keep the entire package under $15,000.00. I have a newer Kubota 3130 with a FEL, finish mower, BH, and forks. Thinking of selling the tractor and getting an older model tractor with a scrape blade for the driveway. I appreciate any advice on my purchase. Thanks Bolo

farmboy55

I think I would just look for one that you can get serviced in your area and the best buy 0n. It took me a year before I can across my bobcat 853. Sounds like you need a set of tracks also. Keep a look at your local auctions. where are you located at ? dennis

OP
OP
B

bolo

I think I would just look for one that you can get serviced in your area and the best buy 0n. It took me a year before I can across my bobcat 853. Sounds like you need a set of tracks also. Keep a look at your local auctions. where are you located at ? dennis
Dennis, located in the Hickory ,NC. area. Do tracks make the skid steer more stable on hills?

Latest posts