should pumps turn by hand? (gehl mitey mac)

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

1816case

I pulled onan to re-power and am in process of trying to figure how to get that 3-groove pulley off? looks to be split pulley but see no set screws? anyway.. while I have engine out I thought I'd grab the big 3 groove belt and try to turn pumps.. it would not budge? this been sittin swhile so do you think pumps are locked up or am I just not suppose to turn them by hand?

flyerdan

Not knowing anything about this machine, I would still opine that the pump should be able to be turned or you'd burn up the starter trying to spin the mill.
You might have to get on it with a breaker bar like turning over a car engine from the front pulley, but it should be able to be pulled through. Is it stuck fast from the get go, or is there a little free play? If it won't budge at all one would suspect that it is rusted or seized somehow, if there is a little back and forth movement that would suggest that something inside is blocking movement, like a valve falling into a cylinder on an engine.
As for the pulley removal, it sounds like it might be a two part one, where the sheave is separate from the hub. That would be a split taper bushing, which allows one to mix and match hubs for different diameter shafts with multiple pulleys or sprockets, Google image search that and it will make sense on how they work.

OP
OP

1816case

Not knowing anything about this machine, I would still opine that the pump should be able to be turned or you'd burn up the starter trying to spin the mill.
You might have to get on it with a breaker bar like turning over a car engine from the front pulley, but it should be able to be pulled through. Is it stuck fast from the get go, or is there a little free play? If it won't budge at all one would suspect that it is rusted or seized somehow, if there is a little back and forth movement that would suggest that something inside is blocking movement, like a valve falling into a cylinder on an engine.
As for the pulley removal, it sounds like it might be a two part one, where the sheave is separate from the hub. That would be a split taper bushing, which allows one to mix and match hubs for different diameter shafts with multiple pulleys or sprockets, Google image search that and it will make sense on how they work.
Thank you.. I will get back at it tomorrow. I was able to get pulley off. It was as you said. Thanks