Should I do the rings on V1903

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dkeyser

Hi, Do you think I should change the rings and rod bushings while I have the head off? I am not sure what they cost, but I am concerned because I have had the valves lapped on the new head and I am thinking it might cause more blow by. Does any one know how often they should be done? Thanks in advance, Dennis

Tazza

Staff member
Thats a really hard question. New rings really aren't required if you had good compression before before you had the head problem. New rings *may* help but you really need to check the bores first to see if they are within spec. If the bores are worn, new rings will do little to help. You will also need to remove the ridge in the bores.
Rod bearings shouldn't be needed as if you replace them you really should grind the crank too, so where do you stop? Again you can measure the crank and see if they are within spec and you can throw new bearings at them.
New rings will set you back about $70 per set, they may help the compression but i can't say for sure it will. Its a risk you will need to consider.

OP
OP
D

dkeyser

Thats a really hard question. New rings really aren't required if you had good compression before before you had the head problem. New rings *may* help but you really need to check the bores first to see if they are within spec. If the bores are worn, new rings will do little to help. You will also need to remove the ridge in the bores.
Rod bearings shouldn't be needed as if you replace them you really should grind the crank too, so where do you stop? Again you can measure the crank and see if they are within spec and you can throw new bearings at them.
New rings will set you back about $70 per set, they may help the compression but i can't say for sure it will. Its a risk you will need to consider.
I do not know what the compression was, when I bought the loader the head was already removed :( . I guess I will just start with the new head and hope for the best!! I did run a hone up and down the cylinders, they did not have any ridges that I could feel, but I can see some vertical lines. Thanks!!

Tazza

Staff member
I do not know what the compression was, when I bought the loader the head was already removed :( . I guess I will just start with the new head and hope for the best!! I did run a hone up and down the cylinders, they did not have any ridges that I could feel, but I can see some vertical lines. Thanks!!
So you removed the pistons? as you honed the bores? if you did, new rings won't be a bad idea as they have been disturbed. If the scores are only light and can't be felt they are fine, totally normal.
A new head gasket will set you back like $70, in the scheme of things new rings won't hurt but thats if you want to spend another $250'ish on rings. As the head was off when you bought it, i really would like to pull the pistons and ensure they were clean as you have no idea just how long the head was off for collecting rubbish.