SERIAL NUMBER LOCATION

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

artnadam

Recently purchased older 4625-- silver foil serial/model # label is BLANK ! ! Must have been wiped with cleaner/solvent, numbers completely gone. Seems to me that there MUST be a location on the machine where the serial/model would be STAMPED into the steel, so as not to rely on ink on a foil sticky label. Have asked the local dealer service mgr, service manual only indicates the foil label location. Nobody knows. Please help, Thanks, Art Young 717-648-3070

OP
OP
A

artnadam

I know this likely does not answer your question directly, but it may at least help you discern what machine build range you have.
http://pdf.germanbliss.com/SL4525%20&%20SL4625.pdf
HTH - SR
Thanks, SkidRoe, I have a copy of the parts manual---I can read between the lines and figure out mine was after or before a certain number---I would still like to be sure. Thanks, Artnadam

vinito

Thanks, SkidRoe, I have a copy of the parts manual---I can read between the lines and figure out mine was after or before a certain number---I would still like to be sure. Thanks, Artnadam
I know this probably won't help either, but it's all I have to offer.
The serial number on my 2500 is on an aluminum plate rivited to the cross bar on the top rear of my machine, facing the seat. Mine is stamped so even though it has the obligatory later coat(s) of paint right over the plate (why in the world to people always do that without fail??), I can still read the stamped numbers on it.
 photo 5.jpg
Your machine is different so I don't know where the I.D. plate is supposed to be, but if there are a couple small unexplained holes in the frame where the plate ought to be, maybe yours has been unfortunately uprooted. It just seems like Gehl wouldn't have fallen so far as to change the stamped ID plate to ink on a foil label which would be so delicate for a machine anyone would expect to experience relatively harsh environments.
Luck to you anyway.

vinito

The serial number on my 2500 is on an aluminum plate rivited to the cross bar on the top rear of my machine, facing the seat. Mine is stamped so even though it has the obligatory later coat(s) of paint right over the plate (why in the world to people always do that without fail??), I can still read the stamped numbers on it.

Your machine is different so I don't know where the I.D. plate is supposed to be, but if there are a couple small unexplained holes in the frame where the plate ought to be, maybe yours has been unfortunately uprooted. It just seems like Gehl wouldn't have fallen so far as to change the stamped ID plate to ink on a foil label which would be so delicate for a machine anyone would expect to experience relatively harsh environments.
Luck to you anyway.
Oh yea. Sorry - I'm so used to considering my Hydra Mac 8A equivalent to a Gehl 2500 that I sometimes forget what I actually have. Since mine is Hydra Mac rather than Gehl, the ID plate might have been handled differently, though I don't see why they would change that when they changed so little (nothing?) else in the transfer of company ownership thing.

OP
OP
A

artnadam

Luck to you anyway.
Thanks again--unfortunatly, GEHL saved the cost of a riveted, stamped metal plate and instead provided an adhesive foil label [which is still intact] and then printed the serial and model #'s on it, using ink that could be removed with oil, grease or solvent. Too bad they didn't stamp the foil. The factory manual says this is where the #s are located. I have to believe somewhere on these machines there is a physical stamped serial #?? Any GEHL techs out there know anything??? Thanks, artnadam

Thanks again--unfortunatly, GEHL saved the cost of a riveted, stamped metal plate and instead provided an adhesive foil label [which is still intact] and then printed the serial and model #'s on it, using ink that could be removed with oil, grease or solvent. Too bad they didn't stamp the foil. The factory manual says this is where the #s are located. I have to believe somewhere on these machines there is a physical stamped serial #?? Any GEHL techs out there know anything??? Thanks, artnadam
I had to carefully chip 2 layers of paint off to see my tag, which as you said, was a foil sticker. I asked around before finding it, and came up with nothing. I was able to look through the german bliss photos and found a major change from before and after a certain serial #. The starter was swapped from left to right of engine. Not sure if they made any changes like that to your newer model.