Seal...how much?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ThomasM

Well I have a '93 743B with the 2 piece axles. I saw today that oil had ran down the tire and onto the floor. So how much do these axle seals cost? Is there a place online to buy or do I have to go through the stealer? I did a little looking on these forums and I see you can just use a jack to get the hub off, now how does it go back on? With the large bolt on the end of the hub? Any other hints being I do not have the correct Bobcat tools like the manual shows? Thanks!

skidsteer.ca

On is easy. Just get the bolt tight again. (good idea to check it in a few hours again once the hub seat) The seal for my 773 g was $7.81 at the dealer. A repair sleeve for the axel, just incase it had a groove wore was 33.68 though.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
On is easy. Just get the bolt tight again. (good idea to check it in a few hours again once the hub seat) The seal for my 773 g was $7.81 at the dealer. A repair sleeve for the axel, just incase it had a groove wore was 33.68 though.
Ken
As Ken said, the seal is easy if you have 2 piece axles. If you have a little mechanical knowledge you will find it very easy. Remove the tyre and rim, loosen the large bolt a few turns, install 2 large hydraulic jacks either side behind the hub. Pump them up then strike the back of the hub with a copper hammer to get the taper to crack. Having the bolt in stops the hub shooting across the floor and landing on a foot, usually yours!
Drill a small hole in the seal, screw in a self tapping screw and use pliers to lever it out. Install a new seal, cheap from the dealer re-attach the hub and you are set!

OP
OP
T

ThomasM

As Ken said, the seal is easy if you have 2 piece axles. If you have a little mechanical knowledge you will find it very easy. Remove the tyre and rim, loosen the large bolt a few turns, install 2 large hydraulic jacks either side behind the hub. Pump them up then strike the back of the hub with a copper hammer to get the taper to crack. Having the bolt in stops the hub shooting across the floor and landing on a foot, usually yours!
Drill a small hole in the seal, screw in a self tapping screw and use pliers to lever it out. Install a new seal, cheap from the dealer re-attach the hub and you are set!
OK thanks guys, I will try the ideas that you gave. The price for the seal does not sound that bad. Good idea about not taking the large bolt out all the way, because my luck is that the hub would shoot off and break both my feet. lol. Thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
OK thanks guys, I will try the ideas that you gave. The price for the seal does not sound that bad. Good idea about not taking the large bolt out all the way, because my luck is that the hub would shoot off and break both my feet. lol. Thanks.
That sounds like my luck lately too!
Good luck, any problems just yell, i pulled 4 hubs off a few weeks back, they came off much easier than i thought they would. I used 1 x 12 tonne 2 x 2.2 tonne jacks then a large copper hammer, one sharp strike and POW it was free.

OP
OP
T

ThomasM

That sounds like my luck lately too!
Good luck, any problems just yell, i pulled 4 hubs off a few weeks back, they came off much easier than i thought they would. I used 1 x 12 tonne 2 x 2.2 tonne jacks then a large copper hammer, one sharp strike and POW it was free.
Well Tazz, I got the hub off of the tapered shaft like you said. Now I was trying to figure out how to get the seal out? It is all metal and must be rubber behind that. I drilled a hole in the end but the metal has just tore when I put a screw in there and pulled on it. I havent got the seal yet so I can not compair what I can damage as I try to take it out. What am I doing wrong here? Thanks again.

skidsteer.ca

Well Tazz, I got the hub off of the tapered shaft like you said. Now I was trying to figure out how to get the seal out? It is all metal and must be rubber behind that. I drilled a hole in the end but the metal has just tore when I put a screw in there and pulled on it. I havent got the seal yet so I can not compair what I can damage as I try to take it out. What am I doing wrong here? Thanks again.
Try another screw or stick the tip of a needle nose vise grip in the hole, pinch some tin and twist, it should wind around the pliers like opening a can of spam. Don't believe there is much there you can hurt. Everything else is pretty heavy duty.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Try another screw or stick the tip of a needle nose vise grip in the hole, pinch some tin and twist, it should wind around the pliers like opening a can of spam. Don't believe there is much there you can hurt. Everything else is pretty heavy duty.
Ken
The outer parts are pressed metal and a rubber lip is molded into the inside. As ken said, get in to it with whatever you can and twist and tug till you get it out. It will be tight but it will come out. The only thing behind there is the bearing, you won't damage anything, just give it a good wash with diesel or kero to clean up the swarf when its all out.
Don't be afraid to use an old wood chisel to cut the pressed metal, if you can get a good hold and twist it to get the outer part to collapse so it doesn't hold to the axle tube. I don't have an old deal to show you either, i pulled 4 out a few months back though. Even side cutters work well if you manage to peel up a corner, use them to hold on to it then lever it out on the outside of the axle tube.
You could even try belting a screw driver through the front face of the seal and try yo use the hole to lever a corner out.
Its really easier to see than explain.

OP
OP
T

ThomasM

The outer parts are pressed metal and a rubber lip is molded into the inside. As ken said, get in to it with whatever you can and twist and tug till you get it out. It will be tight but it will come out. The only thing behind there is the bearing, you won't damage anything, just give it a good wash with diesel or kero to clean up the swarf when its all out.
Don't be afraid to use an old wood chisel to cut the pressed metal, if you can get a good hold and twist it to get the outer part to collapse so it doesn't hold to the axle tube. I don't have an old deal to show you either, i pulled 4 out a few months back though. Even side cutters work well if you manage to peel up a corner, use them to hold on to it then lever it out on the outside of the axle tube.
You could even try belting a screw driver through the front face of the seal and try yo use the hole to lever a corner out.
Its really easier to see than explain.
Hi, I got the old seal out with a drill, vice grip, plyer and screw driver. Lubed up the new seal with grease and installed it to were I thought the old one was. Thanks for the help, couldn't do it otherwise!

Tazza

Staff member
Hi, I got the old seal out with a drill, vice grip, plyer and screw driver. Lubed up the new seal with grease and installed it to were I thought the old one was. Thanks for the help, couldn't do it otherwise!
Glad you got it sorted out, the 2 piece axles sure make it easier!

f7rookie

Glad you got it sorted out, the 2 piece axles sure make it easier!
I also have a leaky seal on a case 1845c.Would be as easy or could someone tell me more?As I have no service manual and case dealer was way more than I can afford....Thanxs

Tazza

Staff member
I also have a leaky seal on a case 1845c.Would be as easy or could someone tell me more?As I have no service manual and case dealer was way more than I can afford....Thanxs
Does your machine have a 2 piece axle? is there a bolt on the outside of the hub?
I have no experience with CASE machines, I'm just going on what i think "should" be there.

f7rookie

Does your machine have a 2 piece axle? is there a bolt on the outside of the hub?
I have no experience with CASE machines, I'm just going on what i think "should" be there.
there is no bolt on outside of hub,...Were can I get info on case machines???

Tazza

Staff member
there is no bolt on outside of hub,...Were can I get info on case machines???
Have you tried calling your local case dealer? some dealers are quite helpful and forthcoming with information, others will not give any advise and just say bring it in, we will fix it (for a price).
If you ask for a parts breakdown they may be able to supply an exploded view so you know what needs to come off to gain access.

Latest posts