S650 Tilt seal kit - Different than expected

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sblg43

I use a Bobcat S650 at work. We currently have a leaking left side tilt cylinder. We contacted the dealer where we got the skidsteer and they sent two seal kits (one for each side). However, now that I removed the leaky cylinder and opened it up, the seal kit that I have doesn't much look like what's in the cylinder. The kit I have is Bobcat 7 202 518. The cylinder that I have contains a brown o ring with a yellow support ring. No such o rings are provided in the kit. Did my dealer screw up or has something changed? Any input is much appreciated!

Bobcatdan

Contact the dealer, I don't recall there being much if any difference in seals new to old. There was a problem where from the factory, the piston nut wasn't tight enough allowing leakage passed the piston where it seats on the rod.

mmsllc

Contact the dealer, I don't recall there being much if any difference in seals new to old. There was a problem where from the factory, the piston nut wasn't tight enough allowing leakage passed the piston where it seats on the rod.
Sounds like you got the wrong parts. It does happen to the best of us. You most likely got someone else's parts & the other person most likely got yours. Give the dealer a quick shout!! I'm sure they'll get it straightened out for you.

SkidRoe

There are numerous tilt cylinders listed for the S650, and a bunch of different kits. They are serial number specific, as well as rod diameter and tube case length specific.
If you can provide these, I can look up the right part number for you.
The one that you list is a valid part number for an S650 tilt cylinder: 21.2" case length, 1.625" rod diameter. The cylinder assembly is listed as NLA.
HTH - SR

OP
OP
sblg43

sblg43

There are numerous tilt cylinders listed for the S650, and a bunch of different kits. They are serial number specific, as well as rod diameter and tube case length specific.
If you can provide these, I can look up the right part number for you.
The one that you list is a valid part number for an S650 tilt cylinder: 21.2" case length, 1.625" rod diameter. The cylinder assembly is listed as NLA.
HTH - SR
I got on the phone today with the local dealer. Yes, according to the dealer, there are four different kits possible for the S650 tilt cylinders. When my boss made the initial call to order the parts, they didn't mention it. Now he is ticked off and thinks that they should know what parts he needs since he bought the Bobcat from them. He can get a bit dramatic at times. Anyway, the parts guy emailed some diagrams and we were able to sort things out. The incorrect parts are on the way back and the correct parts are on the way here (hopefully). The parts that I needed were for a cylinder with a 20.33" case length, 1.625" rod diameter. I did want two kits - one for immediate use and another for a spare. However, after hearing the $55 price of a single kit I ordered only one. I saw the same kit online for less than $20. We like to support our local economy but are having a tough time justifying such high prices from the local dealer! I say local but the dealer is 80 miles away. Thanks for the input.

SkidRoe

I got on the phone today with the local dealer. Yes, according to the dealer, there are four different kits possible for the S650 tilt cylinders. When my boss made the initial call to order the parts, they didn't mention it. Now he is ticked off and thinks that they should know what parts he needs since he bought the Bobcat from them. He can get a bit dramatic at times. Anyway, the parts guy emailed some diagrams and we were able to sort things out. The incorrect parts are on the way back and the correct parts are on the way here (hopefully). The parts that I needed were for a cylinder with a 20.33" case length, 1.625" rod diameter. I did want two kits - one for immediate use and another for a spare. However, after hearing the $55 price of a single kit I ordered only one. I saw the same kit online for less than $20. We like to support our local economy but are having a tough time justifying such high prices from the local dealer! I say local but the dealer is 80 miles away. Thanks for the input.
Glad to hear you are getting this straightened out. You should be able to get the seals you need from a local hydraulics shop for much, much less. Take your worn out ones in and they should be able to match them up.
HTH - SR

OP
OP
sblg43

sblg43

Glad to hear you are getting this straightened out. You should be able to get the seals you need from a local hydraulics shop for much, much less. Take your worn out ones in and they should be able to match them up.
HTH - SR
The kit arrived today and went in perfectly - not easily but it all looks good. Tomorrow, I will be putting the cylinder back together and back onto the Cat. Thanks all for the input.

OP
OP
sblg43

sblg43

The kit arrived today and went in perfectly - not easily but it all looks good. Tomorrow, I will be putting the cylinder back together and back onto the Cat. Thanks all for the input.
Hoorah! I have successfully rebuilt my first hydraulic cylinder. I happen to be a small engine repair guy when not working my full time job. I am excited to have learned a new skill that may come in handy doing small engine repair - think "wood splitter".

Tazza

Staff member
Hoorah! I have successfully rebuilt my first hydraulic cylinder. I happen to be a small engine repair guy when not working my full time job. I am excited to have learned a new skill that may come in handy doing small engine repair - think "wood splitter".
See, it's not a hard job to do!
Yet, smaller cylinders can be a little more difficult as they are more fiddly to get the seals in place.