S650 Servicing??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

GTransport

I am purchasing a 2012 Bobcat S650 with 2500 hours. It is at dealer, they "fully" serviced it including ALL filters and engine oil. They do not have any service history on the machine so i asked them about replacing the chaincase oil, hydraulic fluid, coolant and a valve set. They told me the only time they change chaincase oil is if it becomes contaminated or a seal needs to be replaced. Hydraulic fluid he said they only do if the color becomes darker then its supposed to be. Does this sound true or should I make them do both? They dont want to cover the cost of a valve set, is this something people actually do every 1000 hours or only if it starts running rough? I would rather them not open up engine anyways if its not necessary. Thanks for any help!

reaperman

When I bought my machine from a dealer used, they said the same thing about changing all fluids etc. Just for the heck of it I took the chain case plug off to check the level. It was like damn broke open, I bet 2 gallons of milky oil came pouring out of the hole. The bottom of the hole is proper amount. I don't know where the extra oil was from a prior carrier seal going bad or if it was water from who knows were. Anyway its something the dealer never even bothered to inspect, I changed it out myself and its been good ever for over 10 years now. At 1000 hours I was going to change my hydro oil as the book says. I went to the dealer to buy the fancy over priced bobcat hydro oil thinking it would be a good idea and seldom needed. The mechanic asked me if my oil got contaminated, I said no. He asked why I want to change it, I said the machine has 1000 hrs now. He said its not necessary and I wouldn't be able to completely drain the system anyhow unless every line was removed. Which he said he only did one time because the entire machine got swamped. He said someday I will blow a hydro hose and change it then, but there was no reason to do it until that happens.

OP
OP
G

GTransport

When I bought my machine from a dealer used, they said the same thing about changing all fluids etc. Just for the heck of it I took the chain case plug off to check the level. It was like damn broke open, I bet 2 gallons of milky oil came pouring out of the hole. The bottom of the hole is proper amount. I don't know where the extra oil was from a prior carrier seal going bad or if it was water from who knows were. Anyway its something the dealer never even bothered to inspect, I changed it out myself and its been good ever for over 10 years now. At 1000 hours I was going to change my hydro oil as the book says. I went to the dealer to buy the fancy over priced bobcat hydro oil thinking it would be a good idea and seldom needed. The mechanic asked me if my oil got contaminated, I said no. He asked why I want to change it, I said the machine has 1000 hrs now. He said its not necessary and I wouldn't be able to completely drain the system anyhow unless every line was removed. Which he said he only did one time because the entire machine got swamped. He said someday I will blow a hydro hose and change it then, but there was no reason to do it until that happens.
Thanks for reply. I ended up working in to the deal having them replace chaincase oil, hydraulic oil and do a coolant flush. They mentioned tilting cab and pulling off a cover to suck out and fill chaincase oil when I was first looking at the machine. Anyways got the machine home now and can tell the chaincase plug at front has not been removed as its right plugged with old dirt. is it possible they did indeed change the oil without removing that plug? It is a very reputable Bobcat dealer so wouldnt think they would try and pull something like that. Thanks again for any advice!!

reaperman

Thanks for reply. I ended up working in to the deal having them replace chaincase oil, hydraulic oil and do a coolant flush. They mentioned tilting cab and pulling off a cover to suck out and fill chaincase oil when I was first looking at the machine. Anyways got the machine home now and can tell the chaincase plug at front has not been removed as its right plugged with old dirt. is it possible they did indeed change the oil without removing that plug? It is a very reputable Bobcat dealer so wouldnt think they would try and pull something like that. Thanks again for any advice!!
The best way to change the chain case oil is to take the plate off from inside the cab. Thats how I did it, once open its easy to give the compartment a good cleaning if need be. I flushed the inside with diesel fuel before re-filling. Its much easier to refill with new oil if the plate is off rather than trying to get about 8 gallons thru a 3/4 inch or so hole. Im sure that's what the dealer does. Its minimal effort to remove the plate and reseal it.

OP
OP
G

GTransport

The best way to change the chain case oil is to take the plate off from inside the cab. Thats how I did it, once open its easy to give the compartment a good cleaning if need be. I flushed the inside with diesel fuel before re-filling. Its much easier to refill with new oil if the plate is off rather than trying to get about 8 gallons thru a 3/4 inch or so hole. Im sure that's what the dealer does. Its minimal effort to remove the plate and reseal it.
Thanks for your response, I talked to the dealer and that is indeed what they did.