S590 drive belt tens

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Boscat

2016 S590 with aprox 1700 hrs. When I bought the machine it sounded like the tens arm for the drive belt would chatter. when you looked in there the arm was definitely jumping around a little and making lots of noise more so at idle. So I get a new belt, tens arm and pulley. Its an updated arm that has a weight on it in addition to the idler wheel. The old one had a weight as well that was round and about the size of the idler pulley. the new weight is bolted on with two bolts and and is about 3/4 of a circle and is right beside the idler. I install everything last night. The new belt seems to sit quite high in the pulleys compared to the old with 1700 hours. Put 40 ft/lbs on the tens and tighten it all up. It still makes a more noise then i like. Its more of a squeal/chirp now versus more of a chatter of a loose tens arm before. You would swear the alternator has a bad bearing or something, but its the new pulley on the belt. The belt between the engine pulley and the tens pulley still jumps up and down a fair bit. If i spray just a little water on the back side of the belt it goes nice and quiet but as soon as the water dissipates it chirps again. its worse at idle but i think i can still hear it at high rpm and also a bit worse when under a bit of a load. I was never loosing hydro press or any thing, just hate the noise that its making. I looked at a couple of other bobcats n those belts run smooth as butter. mine chirps away and the tens arm is jumping around. Not a lot but probably an 1/8 of an inch, not smooth like the others. I tried 50 and 60 ft/lbs as well as just letting it run on just spring tens with all the same results. Any one have any ideas for me to get it to run smooth?

Tazza

Staff member
Could the pully have weird wear on it either at the motor or the pump?
With a new belt and tensioner, i'd have thought it would run smooth and not flap around. like you mention,.

OP
OP
B

Boscat

Could the pully have weird wear on it either at the motor or the pump?
With a new belt and tensioner, i'd have thought it would run smooth and not flap around. like you mention,.
I pulled the pulley off the engine and chucked it on my lathe. It runs very true with minimal run-out. The pump pulley I did not take off as it looked like access was a little more difficult. When spinning it over just by hand i couldn't see any abnormalities, but i realize that is to slow to really get a reading on it. It snowed a fair amount here with a ton of wind today so tomor it'll probably get about 8 hours run time with a blower on it. Crank the music so i dont hear it and look at it again after that.

11rochford

2016 S590 with aprox 1700 hrs. When I bought the machine it sounded like the tens arm for the drive belt would chatter. when you looked in there the arm was definitely jumping around a little and making lots of noise more so at idle. So I get a new belt, tens arm and pulley. Its an updated arm that has a weight on it in addition to the idler wheel. The old one had a weight as well that was round and about the size of the idler pulley. the new weight is bolted on with two bolts and and is about 3/4 of a circle and is right beside the idler. I install everything last night. The new belt seems to sit quite high in the pulleys compared to the old with 1700 hours. Put 40 ft/lbs on the tens and tighten it all up. It still makes a more noise then i like. Its more of a squeal/chirp now versus more of a chatter of a loose tens arm before. You would swear the alternator has a bad bearing or something, but its the new pulley on the belt. The belt between the engine pulley and the tens pulley still jumps up and down a fair bit. If i spray just a little water on the back side of the belt it goes nice and quiet but as soon as the water dissipates it chirps again. its worse at idle but i think i can still hear it at high rpm and also a bit worse when under a bit of a load. I was never loosing hydro press or any thing, just hate the noise that its making. I looked at a couple of other bobcats n those belts run smooth as butter. mine chirps away and the tens arm is jumping around. Not a lot but probably an 1/8 of an inch, not smooth like the others. I tried 50 and 60 ft/lbs as well as just letting it run on just spring tens with all the same results. Any one have any ideas for me to get it to run smooth?
I have a 2014 s590 1650 hours does the same thing, very annoying did you ever get it to stop I tried a new belt also no change.

Tazza

Staff member
I pulled the pulley off the engine and chucked it on my lathe. It runs very true with minimal run-out. The pump pulley I did not take off as it looked like access was a little more difficult. When spinning it over just by hand i couldn't see any abnormalities, but i realize that is to slow to really get a reading on it. It snowed a fair amount here with a ton of wind today so tomor it'll probably get about 8 hours run time with a blower on it. Crank the music so i dont hear it and look at it again after that.
I'd think if it was at fault, you'd see a chunk of rust or belt in there, I wonder what the cause is.....
I like your thinking, louder tunes and ignore it