s330 grapple bucket problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

s330driver

I am the unfortunate wrench hand for my s330 and I got a call today that the grapple bucket right grapple arm slammed shut, very hard (possibly driven by the hydraulic extension), and the left arm only moves slowly open/closed. Anyone heard of this? Where would I begin my investigation with this issue? Thanks

Lowe.Buuck

Do you have another implement you can attach to the loader to verify that the auxiliary hydraulics are working properly on the loader? If so, you can isolate the problem to the loader or the grapple.
To test the grapple, remove and cap the lines going to the right cylinder and test the operation of the left arm. If it operates normally you may have blown the seals in the right cylinder.
With the right cylinder isolated, use compressed air to pressurize one of the right cylinder ports. Make sure the other port has a hose on it going into a bucket. Listen and look for air leakage from one end of the cylinder to the other.
Reverse the above procedure to test the left side.

flyerdan

Do you have another implement you can attach to the loader to verify that the auxiliary hydraulics are working properly on the loader? If so, you can isolate the problem to the loader or the grapple.
To test the grapple, remove and cap the lines going to the right cylinder and test the operation of the left arm. If it operates normally you may have blown the seals in the right cylinder.
With the right cylinder isolated, use compressed air to pressurize one of the right cylinder ports. Make sure the other port has a hose on it going into a bucket. Listen and look for air leakage from one end of the cylinder to the other.
Reverse the above procedure to test the left side.
It sounds to me that there is likely a pretty sever restriction going to the left cylinder, it should be a parallel circuit that feeds both sides equally. The right side is running fast / slamming because it's getting the volume for two cylinders.
If you can tell what make and model of grapple it might be possible to find a parts breakdown or schematic to get a better idea as to what's going on.