S185 Starts, runs for 10mins then bogs heavily

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BlackSwan

Hi Everyone,

I'm having issues with my 2008 S185. It starts well and then will run for 10-12 mins (either at idle or operating speeds) then it wants to die, seems almost over-fuelled.
At idle, after that 10-12min mark, it will sputter and then stall; At operating speeds, after the 10-12min time, it will bog heavily almost to a stall, then when you let go of controls to slow down, the engine will rev back up to full rpms but will stall rather quickly soon after. Once it stalls, you can't start it again for at least a few hours, or until what seems like it 'cools down'. It's then good for another 10mins and the same thing happens.

Anyone have any ideas what's happening?

Thanks

OP
OP
B

BlackSwan

It's been a couple weeks since I ran it but I think there was some smoke coming out, just not positive on the color. I'll start it up this weekend and find out for sure.

Mustang Guy

change fuel filters, check for collapsed fuel primer bulb or fuel line, check for algae in fuel is a good place to start.
It's not algae! It is a microorganism that includes bacteria, filamentous molds and yeasts. They feed on the hydrocarbons in the fuel and create biomass, biofilms and damaging by-products. They propagate in the water/fuel interface. They are in fact a living thing, and are highly corrosive. They will ruin injectors, freeze racks, and ruin injection pumps. Ask me how I know this.

foton

yes it is very important to keep water out of the new diesel,(sulpher in the old fuel keep them out) if you have a bulk tank it is wise to keep a biocide treatment in it. it looks like a black slime. look up diesel bugs for more info . on this.

jambalini

Is the primer bulb collapsed when it stops? If so, my money is on a blocked pickup tube in the fuel tank. Lift the cab, and there is a rubber grommet which the fuel pickup tube runs into the tank. Pop the grommet out with the fuel line still in it and have a look at the filter on the end, if it is still on it that is. Blow the line clear and hopefully that will be the end of it🤗

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BlackSwan

Thanks for the input. I ran it this weekend and when the 10-12min mark comes it starts smoking blue/white and has almost no power.

The fuel filter is fairly new, and I replaced the primer bulb and even went as far as replacing the pickup line assembly that goes into the tank under the cab.

I'm no mechanic but I'm getting injector vibes on this one, anyone else have any input or advice on where to go next...?

brdgbldr

If it is truly blue smoke you may have bigger issues but sometimes it is hard to tell the color. If the exhaust smells like asphalt you are burning engine oil.
If it is gray smoke here are several things it could be including a bad injector.

Here is a website to help you diagnose the smoke:

OP
OP
B

BlackSwan

If it is truly blue smoke you may have bigger issues but sometimes it is hard to tell the color. If the exhaust smells like asphalt you are burning engine oil.
If it is gray smoke here are several things it could be including a bad injector.

Here is a website to help you diagnose the smoke:
Thanks for that link.
It does kind of look blue but it doesn't smell like asphalt. It only really smokes like this after that 10min mark when it really starts to bog. Running at only approx 2000rpms, after 10mins, just lifting the arms up bogs it down and at a standstill, increasing throttle 500+ rpm will pretty much stall the machine. More blue-ish smoke and it sounds like it drowns out the engine. It will not start for at least a few hours after this point.

Is this 10min timeframe telling of anything? It happens EVERY time, you could almost time it.
Could this have anything to do with air in the fuel system?
How big of a process is it to have injectors tested?
Any other ideas of which direction to go. I don't have a close relationship with any HD mechanics so I want to educate myself as much as possible before it goes to the shop as I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks for everyone's input!

brdgbldr

So no codes?

If it was a gas machine I would say the choke is not coming off after warming up. Not sure what it could be on a diesel if it is heat related other then the computer shutting something down due to a problem or bad sensor.

I'm not sure on your machine how difficult it would be to remove your injectors to inspect and test.

I think if you were sucking air into the system you probably would not be able to restart it without bleeding the air out.

A bad governor could cause an issue like this. I have never worked on this type of governor before though.

If you start the machine and just run the engine, without any operation, does it do what you described?