S185 hydraulic/actuator?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Boscat

Hi guys, first time poster. I have a question about a 2008 S185. It has the sjc hand controls. When lifting the arms it shudders or shakes on the way up and down. Enough to kinda make it bounce a bit on the tires. If you move the handle just a wee bit to start the lift, but not enough to actually move it you can hear the hiss of the hydro system start and already pulse instead of a steady hiss like you would normally hear. If you start out with a slow lift it is definitely worst, and if you go full speed on the lift it seems ok. From the transition of slow to fast it seems to go in steps, not a smooth progressive increase. almost seems like the actuator can only move in increments and not smoothly. seems worse when it cold, clears up when you use it for a while and the whole thing warms up to operating temps. Just seems to of started now that our temps are below freezing but it did give some indication of an odd shudder once in a while just enough to make you wonder what that was. Everything else seem to work smooth and like it should. The tilt works as it should the speed of everything at full lift/tilt speed seems up to par. I did have to replace the lift actuator about 200 hours ago, worked good all summer as far as I know but things are just cooling off now and getting below freezing. I have replaced hydro filter, changed hydro oil with bobcat all season oil, did a calibrate on the actuators a few times. Switched the plugs at the actuators around to make sure it didn't follow the control handles and checked to make sure the actuator I installed didn't come loose or something. never any codes come up. It gets lots of grease, no stuck pins. I put the arms up and shut the machine off and pulled the relief valve and it comes down real nice with no noise at all. Any ideas out there for me? Oil looks clear as a bell, no moisture, topped right up and no visible leaks any where. Its still usable but when you want to nicely set a pallet in the back of a truck or something you definitely look like a first time user cause you can not set anything down nice and smooth. Seem little worse with a little weight on it I think. Was thinking of switching the actuators around from tilt to lift to see if it followed them of not. Any input would be great and ill keep every one posted. thanks in advance!!

BobcatTitus

Boscat, I work for a Bobcat dealer, looking at past issues with a lift shutter they recommend to check: - Check the lift lock valve. - Make sure the lift arm bypass is not opening up. - Inspect the lift spool for damage. - Could be internal in lift cylinder Hope this helps

OP
OP
B

Boscat

Boscat, I work for a Bobcat dealer, looking at past issues with a lift shutter they recommend to check: - Check the lift lock valve. - Make sure the lift arm bypass is not opening up. - Inspect the lift spool for damage. - Could be internal in lift cylinder Hope this helps
Thanks for the input. Ill check those things when I get a min. I bought a service manual from bobcat for the machine a while ago when I had trouble with the actuator so hopefully I can locate all the things you mentioned. I still have it in my head that the actuator is doing it but I wont over look the things you mentioned.

OP
OP
B

Boscat

Thanks for the input. Ill check those things when I get a min. I bought a service manual from bobcat for the machine a while ago when I had trouble with the actuator so hopefully I can locate all the things you mentioned. I still have it in my head that the actuator is doing it but I wont over look the things you mentioned.
I had a few minutes tonight so I pulled the lift actuator out tonight. I was off a little on the hours. It was replaced 110 hours ago, I wrote the hrs on it when I put it in. I then put a punch in the hole for the lift spool. Seems real smooth. Flips back to neutral no matter which way you go. It definitely takes to hands to move it either direction but I think that's normal? Think I might swap lift/tilt actuators first before pulling the spool or any thing. Just to see and kill my curiosity.

BobcatTitus

I had a few minutes tonight so I pulled the lift actuator out tonight. I was off a little on the hours. It was replaced 110 hours ago, I wrote the hrs on it when I put it in. I then put a punch in the hole for the lift spool. Seems real smooth. Flips back to neutral no matter which way you go. It definitely takes to hands to move it either direction but I think that's normal? Think I might swap lift/tilt actuators first before pulling the spool or any thing. Just to see and kill my curiosity.
Yes, you could swap the actuators and see if the problem travels.

BC873G

Yes, you could swap the actuators and see if the problem travels.
Boscat, I had a similar issue with my machine after working with the actuators and hand controls. I think it could have been related to poor pin and socket connections after taking the Metra Pack connectors apart to work on the handles. Check to make sure all of the pins and sockets are pushed as deep as possible in the connectors you have had loose. I had a few come unlocked. In my case the problem seemed to happen more when I was pulling on the steering levers. It could also have been a short to ground in the hand control wire assembly. I did patch a few wires that had chaffed.

BobcatTitus, I am planning to install a hand control upgrade kit on my machine. I have ever installed one of these to resolve intermittent issues with the hand controls? If so, did it resolve the issue. My machine is hand control only. Thanks.

BC873G

Boscat, I had a similar issue with my machine after working with the actuators and hand controls. I think it could have been related to poor pin and socket connections after taking the Metra Pack connectors apart to work on the handles. Check to make sure all of the pins and sockets are pushed as deep as possible in the connectors you have had loose. I had a few come unlocked. In my case the problem seemed to happen more when I was pulling on the steering levers. It could also have been a short to ground in the hand control wire assembly. I did patch a few wires that had chaffed.

BobcatTitus, I am planning to install a hand control upgrade kit on my machine. I have ever installed one of these to resolve intermittent issues with the hand controls? If so, did it resolve the issue. My machine is hand control only. Thanks.
Edit to previous post: "I have ever" should be "Have you ever ..."

OP
OP
B

Boscat

Edit to previous post: "I have ever" should be "Have you ever ..."
Well I swapped out the actuators. And as I was suspecting, it followed the new actuator. Now my lift arms are nice n smooth and the tilt is jumpy and not smooth. At first I thought both where smooth but I didn't have an attachment on. Put the forks on and lifted about 100 gallons of water and then tried it. So seems as though it needs a little weight on it which the lift arms would of be compared to the plate with no attachment. I did see on the faulty actuator that it needs v63.0 or higher. Now I thought I did have that program but maybe not? Its a 2008 model. The other actuator must be an original as it was manufactured 10/07 as was the one I replaced 110 hrs ago and does not say anything about programing. The reason I thought I had that program was when you hold the bucket position button for three or more seconds it says Shtdn 69.7 I guess I assumed that I had a newer program then the 63.0 required. I don't remember seeing the Shtdn flashing before the 69.7 before thus assuming that was the version of program I had. But maybe that is something totally not related. I usually do most of my own repair on my equipment because when my dealer quoted me to replace the actuator the first time it was 7 to 8 hours of labour at 128.00 per hour. I had already had it on and off in 45 min just to look at it so I figured I would save a few bucks and do it my self. This may be one of those instances I should of got them to do it and check programing at the same time. Off to the dealer on Monday but I have a feeling I know what direction this is going to go. No codes when I hold the light button, Any one know what that Shtdn 69.7 is referring to?

BC873G

Well I swapped out the actuators. And as I was suspecting, it followed the new actuator. Now my lift arms are nice n smooth and the tilt is jumpy and not smooth. At first I thought both where smooth but I didn't have an attachment on. Put the forks on and lifted about 100 gallons of water and then tried it. So seems as though it needs a little weight on it which the lift arms would of be compared to the plate with no attachment. I did see on the faulty actuator that it needs v63.0 or higher. Now I thought I did have that program but maybe not? Its a 2008 model. The other actuator must be an original as it was manufactured 10/07 as was the one I replaced 110 hrs ago and does not say anything about programing. The reason I thought I had that program was when you hold the bucket position button for three or more seconds it says Shtdn 69.7 I guess I assumed that I had a newer program then the 63.0 required. I don't remember seeing the Shtdn flashing before the 69.7 before thus assuming that was the version of program I had. But maybe that is something totally not related. I usually do most of my own repair on my equipment because when my dealer quoted me to replace the actuator the first time it was 7 to 8 hours of labour at 128.00 per hour. I had already had it on and off in 45 min just to look at it so I figured I would save a few bucks and do it my self. This may be one of those instances I should of got them to do it and check programing at the same time. Off to the dealer on Monday but I have a feeling I know what direction this is going to go. No codes when I hold the light button, Any one know what that Shtdn 69.7 is referring to?
Boscat, the 69. does refer to the current software level loaded on your machine. If the actuator said 63 or later you should be okay there. A quote of 7 to 8 hours to replace the actuator is excessive. I think I would just ask them to do calibration and load the latest version of the software.

Good luck on Monday.

biggie

Hey boscat, Did you calibrate the new actuator? If you didn't, the controller doesn't know the range limits of the valve spool you're trying to move. This can burn out a , very expensive, actuator very quickly. When you're replacing an actuator, it has to be calibrated. MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!

Latest posts