s150 suddenly revved, maybe a ghost?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

duga

Loaned my s150 to a friend this morning. He just called me and said, "We have a problem" He says he was using the machine at around half throttle (no reason to lie to me) when all of a sudden, the engine revved to full throttle, gauges went blank, and white smoke started coming out of the exhaust. He had no idea how to shut it down of course. It did this for about 45 seconds then died. Their is some kind of oil all over the engine compartment but he doesn't know what kind. The engine dipstick reads clean oil at normal levels. What the hell just happened?

OP
OP
D

duga

My buddy just called and said that the oil is coming from a blown line. This line goes to some kind of oil cooler on top of the radiator. Is this engine oil or hydraulic? One thing I know, their was no leak when I loaned it to him. Any light you guys can shed on this would be helpful cause I am afraid to even attempt to start this thing.

[email protected]

My buddy just called and said that the oil is coming from a blown line. This line goes to some kind of oil cooler on top of the radiator. Is this engine oil or hydraulic? One thing I know, their was no leak when I loaned it to him. Any light you guys can shed on this would be helpful cause I am afraid to even attempt to start this thing.
maybe it blew a hydraulic line and causing there to be no load on the engine so it revved?

jmatt20

maybe it blew a hydraulic line and causing there to be no load on the engine so it revved?
the cooler on top of the radiator is the hydraulic oil cooler . like the last post the engine probably reved because the pumps were unloaded as they ran out of oil . the shut down was the computer detecting the loss of pressure and protecting the system by shutting down ..if you have the fittings like my machine the line goes into the cooler by just pushing it in and a clip holds it in place ..there is a kit to replace the o rings and clip 11 or so dollars but i'm not sure if you can reuse the hose after it pops out of the clip i replaced the clip and hose because i didn't want to risk dumping my oil again ,200/250 dollars total ..i'm not sure why these hoses don't use jic fittings then they would never come apart like this, as this is a low pressure application .i assume it save 2 min. per machine to snap the hose in place instead of screwing the fitting together...

OP
OP
D

duga

the cooler on top of the radiator is the hydraulic oil cooler . like the last post the engine probably reved because the pumps were unloaded as they ran out of oil . the shut down was the computer detecting the loss of pressure and protecting the system by shutting down ..if you have the fittings like my machine the line goes into the cooler by just pushing it in and a clip holds it in place ..there is a kit to replace the o rings and clip 11 or so dollars but i'm not sure if you can reuse the hose after it pops out of the clip i replaced the clip and hose because i didn't want to risk dumping my oil again ,200/250 dollars total ..i'm not sure why these hoses don't use jic fittings then they would never come apart like this, as this is a low pressure application .i assume it save 2 min. per machine to snap the hose in place instead of screwing the fitting together...
Well this problem has been fixed and I thought I would share my experience. The line blew off of the cooler and shot hydro oil into the intake hose and that is why it ran for around 40 seconds while pumping out smoke. Had to replace the cooler and the hose because o ring and retainer parts went flying and/or were corroded. Bobcat lists cooler and hose as unserviceable and doesn't sell the pieces to put it back together. So I was out $50 for air cleaners, $100 for oil, $80 for a hose and $300 for a cooler. Thanks for screwing me Bobcat Engineers! Thank you to those who responded to my initial question

Tazza

Staff member
Well this problem has been fixed and I thought I would share my experience. The line blew off of the cooler and shot hydro oil into the intake hose and that is why it ran for around 40 seconds while pumping out smoke. Had to replace the cooler and the hose because o ring and retainer parts went flying and/or were corroded. Bobcat lists cooler and hose as unserviceable and doesn't sell the pieces to put it back together. So I was out $50 for air cleaners, $100 for oil, $80 for a hose and $300 for a cooler. Thanks for screwing me Bobcat Engineers! Thank you to those who responded to my initial question
Good to hear it's now fixed, i'm sure there would have been a way to repair it, but now you knw it will be rite for a while.
I'm suspecting it's one of the push to connect fittings that let go? I have no idea why they use them, especially with the vibrations they must survive. If you had the gear and time, you could have welded real fittings to the cooler and got new hoses made. The problem is, you may have had the same amount invested after all that work....