Roll Cage ( ROPS?) For M500

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

gymsbyjo

Just bought an old M500. It doesn't have a rollcage. Or I guess it's called ROPS(?). Does anybody have one that would fit. This is all new to me. I know different years are very similar. Anybody know what years would work without major welding and cutting? Thanks.....Joe

Tazza

Staff member
Not sure if the early ones even had a ROPS.... I have seen a few but they were open top.
Is building one from say water pipe an option?

Idoitall

It might have to be an option! lol
ROPS = Rollover Protection System, FOPS = Falling Object Protection System.

The design, installation, and modification are strictly regulated by OHSA. If you built your own, I'll bet you'd have a difficult time defending yourself in a lawsuit if someone was injured, or, even worse, killed. Life insurance companies live for some "out" like this to prevent paying a claim.

I looked at a decent Gehl last year, but the ROPS had been cutoff for clearance and then re-welded back together. I walked away quickly.

Just my 2 cents worth.

OP
OP
G

gymsbyjo

ROPS = Rollover Protection System, FOPS = Falling Object Protection System.

The design, installation, and modification are strictly regulated by OHSA. If you built your own, I'll bet you'd have a difficult time defending yourself in a lawsuit if someone was injured, or, even worse, killed. Life insurance companies live for some "out" like this to prevent paying a claim.

I looked at a decent Gehl last year, but the ROPS had been cutoff for clearance and then re-welded back together. I walked away quickly.

Just my 2 cents worth.
This is for my own use. Seems like a homemade one is better than nothing. I hear you about the insurance companies looking for an out though. Joe

mllud

This is for my own use. Seems like a homemade one is better than nothing. I hear you about the insurance companies looking for an out though. Joe
Some four inch square pipe with 3/16 ti 1/4 inch walls welded up with some corner gussets would be good.You might consider wire mesh on the sides to keep arns inside. It would be better to over do a little. Then your safe. Osha standards can be met with fabrication. Mike

OP
OP
G

gymsbyjo

Some four inch square pipe with 3/16 ti 1/4 inch walls welded up with some corner gussets would be good.You might consider wire mesh on the sides to keep arns inside. It would be better to over do a little. Then your safe. Osha standards can be met with fabrication. Mike
Definately better safe than sorry. I'm thinking I'll have to have one made. There is one on Ebay brand new for $350 but they wanted another $350 to ship it.......OUCH!!

mllud

Definately better safe than sorry. I'm thinking I'll have to have one made. There is one on Ebay brand new for $350 but they wanted another $350 to ship it.......OUCH!!
If you could get some good pictures of the attaching points on similar skidsteers it would help. Possibly pictures of the cab itself to give the fabricator. I see some of those loadrs without a cab and I think ouch.
You could put an air ride seat,sterio. A/C and and and I better stop.
Mike

skidsteer.ca

Bobcat Skid loader Skid steer Cab Cage
Not sure if the old m500 even came with rops. Some of the 610 never ad them either. The one in the link is for a much never 700 series and wont fit.
Your likely best off to have a competent welder fab one up. Look at other loaders your size to get a feel for the weight and size of material needed. It still won't be "approved" but if you roll or have something fall on you that part won't matter one bit to you.
Ken

Latest posts