Rock Picker

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Kens743B

I'm surprised I haven't seen this here. The Robo rock picker, here is a video of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HamWg4UHgU

88vmx12

I had been looking for something to pick rocks here at our place using them 773 bobcat. Nothing came up that would pick rock close to what we are dealing with here. Finally I ran across the robo but couldn't see parting with 5k for the size I needed. Me being a welder and a fabricator my wheels started turning LOL! Before long the local CAT dealer had one and it was on display, by this time I had already drawn up my own on CAD. I stopped by asking how much for the rock picker I was floored and almost fell out of my shoes knowing how much they were selling for online. You all sitting down? Their price , mark up , rape price was $8,500! So back to the house I went, thinking holy crap what idiots for whom ever buys that thing. Like I said earlier I had already drawn mine up and already had gathering parts. The base of the circle is 3/4" plate steel. Originally the plate I was going to have either cut by CNC plasma or a waterjet. However the price was way to much for me. I opted for another solution and it worked out awesome! I took a sheet of particle board to the water jet $16 for the wood and $20 for the cut. I used it as a template for the hole locations and then used a transfer punch. Drilled the holes out with a mag base drill and cut the outside with a motorized hand torch. Understandable that not everyone has these tools. The pivot or rotational part I used a hub from a Heston 4900 baler it was identical to what they are using. Now the sprocket they are using is like a Delrin material I also had drawn that up and I had that waterjet cut. The hydraulic motor I had. You have to use some other items in the hydraulic system like a check valve to create a circuit that allows the basket to soft stop. All in all I had 2-3 days fabrication and about $1,200 G

Tazza

Staff member
I had been looking for something to pick rocks here at our place using them 773 bobcat. Nothing came up that would pick rock close to what we are dealing with here. Finally I ran across the robo but couldn't see parting with 5k for the size I needed. Me being a welder and a fabricator my wheels started turning LOL! Before long the local CAT dealer had one and it was on display, by this time I had already drawn up my own on CAD. I stopped by asking how much for the rock picker I was floored and almost fell out of my shoes knowing how much they were selling for online. You all sitting down? Their price , mark up , rape price was $8,500! So back to the house I went, thinking holy crap what idiots for whom ever buys that thing. Like I said earlier I had already drawn mine up and already had gathering parts. The base of the circle is 3/4" plate steel. Originally the plate I was going to have either cut by CNC plasma or a waterjet. However the price was way to much for me. I opted for another solution and it worked out awesome! I took a sheet of particle board to the water jet $16 for the wood and $20 for the cut. I used it as a template for the hole locations and then used a transfer punch. Drilled the holes out with a mag base drill and cut the outside with a motorized hand torch. Understandable that not everyone has these tools. The pivot or rotational part I used a hub from a Heston 4900 baler it was identical to what they are using. Now the sprocket they are using is like a Delrin material I also had drawn that up and I had that waterjet cut. The hydraulic motor I had. You have to use some other items in the hydraulic system like a check valve to create a circuit that allows the basket to soft stop. All in all I had 2-3 days fabrication and about $1,200 G
I sure hope you are taking pictures of all this, i'm interesting in seeing what you have come up with. I liked the idea of water jet patterns for cutting. My cousin has access to a CNC router, i was going to harass him to cut patterns out so i can cut some plate with a plasma hand torch.
I'd like to see the powered torch setup, not sure i have seen a motorised torch that can cut shapes, straight lines i have though.

88vmx12

I sure hope you are taking pictures of all this, i'm interesting in seeing what you have come up with. I liked the idea of water jet patterns for cutting. My cousin has access to a CNC router, i was going to harass him to cut patterns out so i can cut some plate with a plasma hand torch.
I'd like to see the powered torch setup, not sure i have seen a motorised torch that can cut shapes, straight lines i have though.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7gvwo7bdj0qr7o/2014-12-23%2008.12.00.jpg?dl=0 On phone not having good luck getting the pics posted

Tazza

Staff member
That is very nice, the work that can be done with a CNC always amazes me. You could do it by hand, but the time saved and accuracy of CNC can't be beaten.
What are you using to rotate it?

88vmx12

That is very nice, the work that can be done with a CNC always amazes me. You could do it by hand, but the time saved and accuracy of CNC can't be beaten.
What are you using to rotate it?
Tazza if you look at the second picture. I drew up the gear on CAD then had it water jet cut from Delrin plastic. It rides on the 1" diameter rods that go past the base plate. It in turn is driven by a hydraulic motor that I had sitting around. Not sure of the size of it, in the hydraulic circuit I have a flow control and a check valve.

SkidRoe

Tazza if you look at the second picture. I drew up the gear on CAD then had it water jet cut from Delrin plastic. It rides on the 1" diameter rods that go past the base plate. It in turn is driven by a hydraulic motor that I had sitting around. Not sure of the size of it, in the hydraulic circuit I have a flow control and a check valve.
Nicely done, really like the drive "sprocket".
We to have admired the Robo, gagged at the price, and have a fab shop. May have to follow your lead.
Would your CAD files be available?
Thanks - SR

Latest posts