Repowering an old thomas ? skid steer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Thomasus140

Hello all! New to this site, seems to be alot of great info on here. I have a new to me Thomas skid steer project. It's a 19-something, I'm guessing 70s. The model info i found doesn't really match up with anything i can find online.It looks like a "US140" but I'm not sure if that's right. l try to post some pictures of the machine and the ID tag to see if anyone recognizes it. The only tag i can find is on the counterweight on the back. It looks to be a great machine besides having no engine, hence my need to repower. I'm thinking of going with a vanguard style 22 to 30 horse gas engine and coupling to the shaft with a Moreflex type connection to a shaft that I'll have to have machined to go into the main pump drive. This will be my first repower involving hydralics to this extent. What does everyone think? Also can anyone help me identify my new keep me busy project. I got a great deal on this little beast and I'm just wanting something for around the house mostly. Thanks in advance for all your wise answers. Jason

Hotrod1830

Knowing what I know now, I would have repowered mine with a Diesel. Granted it was only a 310 Bobcat, but I could have gotten a diesel in it no problem. Don't forget the pro's of a Diesel engine, and forget about what it came with. But with that being said, some guy's just like gas engines. Post up some picture's so we can see this critter.

OP
OP
Thomasus140

Thomasus140

well, I've tried several different ways to post up the pics of my machine and its not working. it may have something tio do with my laptop using windows 10.... anyway I uploaded several in the gallery here; http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?&tabid=52&path=thomasus140 300 dollar thomas skid steer Everyone let me know what you think. Also I'm open any suggestions on how to repower this oldie but goodie.

OP
OP
Thomasus140

Thomasus140

well, I've tried several different ways to post up the pics of my machine and its not working. it may have something tio do with my laptop using windows 10.... anyway I uploaded several in the gallery here; http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?&tabid=52&path=thomasus140 300 dollar thomas skid steer Everyone let me know what you think. Also I'm open any suggestions on how to repower this oldie but goodie.
Also, I have thought of several different options. I have a 10 horse Kohler engine already that's a horizontal shaft, but I don't know if its big enough. I have a lead on a little 15 horse diesel engine...... which would be awesome. I was originally looking for a 25 horse or so. any suggestions?

OP
OP
Thomasus140

Thomasus140

Also, I have thought of several different options. I have a 10 horse Kohler engine already that's a horizontal shaft, but I don't know if its big enough. I have a lead on a little 15 horse diesel engine...... which would be awesome. I was originally looking for a 25 horse or so. any suggestions?
For anyone looking for my pictures they are on page 4 of the photos page labeled......... (thomasus140 300 dollar thomas skid steer).............at this link..... (.http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?&tabid=52&path=thomasus140%20300%20dollar%20thomas%20skid%20steer)

bill7101

For anyone looking for my pictures they are on page 4 of the photos page labeled......... (thomasus140 300 dollar thomas skid steer).............at this link..... (.http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?&tabid=52&path=thomasus140%20300%20dollar%20thomas%20skid%20steer)
I Repowered my gehl 3410 last year, it was a 3 cylinder diesel but changed out with a harbor freight 22hp predator engine, i know the diesel would have had more torque but finding an engine that would fit without major price on an older skid steer seemed to be the downside, so I took a chance on the gasser engine. I used it all winter and worked out great for my purposes. Only a few modifications to make the exhaust work, get it to right level and a lovejoy connection to couple with pumps. I have been very happy with it so far, and seems to have enough power on my smaller skid. Just have to get time to get the alternator hooked up yet to run lights and anything auxiliary on it, the engine only has a 3 amp charging setup on it to charge the battery.

OP
OP
Thomasus140

Thomasus140

I Repowered my gehl 3410 last year, it was a 3 cylinder diesel but changed out with a harbor freight 22hp predator engine, i know the diesel would have had more torque but finding an engine that would fit without major price on an older skid steer seemed to be the downside, so I took a chance on the gasser engine. I used it all winter and worked out great for my purposes. Only a few modifications to make the exhaust work, get it to right level and a lovejoy connection to couple with pumps. I have been very happy with it so far, and seems to have enough power on my smaller skid. Just have to get time to get the alternator hooked up yet to run lights and anything auxiliary on it, the engine only has a 3 amp charging setup on it to charge the battery.
Thanks Hotrod1830 and bill7101 for yor responses; I'm deeply contemplating the idea of a small diesel engine and have a lead on one for around 300$.. but the simplicity of the predator style, new, basically bolt on idea with minimal modifications us very enticing. Especially since its just for use around the house (mostly). Is anyone able to help identify my machine? I'm having trouble getting my model number i found match anything online. Pretty sure it's got Vickers hydraulics in it that a few look recently rebuilt. ..sorta. and i know its a medium sized Thomas. ... but my U 140. Model #... (i think) doesn't match anything i can find. also how the heck do you upload pictures to a thread pn this forum? ? Lol

OP
OP
Thomasus140

Thomasus140

Also bill7101, what brand lovejoy connection did you use? Seems there are alot out there. Also did you run into any hurdles? And what does everyone think about the moreflex style coupler for a skid steer?

Hotrod1830

Also bill7101, what brand lovejoy connection did you use? Seems there are alot out there. Also did you run into any hurdles? And what does everyone think about the moreflex style coupler for a skid steer?
You will need to try and figure out how much power it had originally, and stick pretty close to that. You can go up in power a little, but putting a smaller engine in them just really makes them not real fun to operate. Doesnt look like there is a whole lot of room in it. Did they come with an air cooled engine? If so, probably easiest to stick with a air cooled gas.

bill7101

You will need to try and figure out how much power it had originally, and stick pretty close to that. You can go up in power a little, but putting a smaller engine in them just really makes them not real fun to operate. Doesnt look like there is a whole lot of room in it. Did they come with an air cooled engine? If so, probably easiest to stick with a air cooled gas.
I got a lovejoy brand, the L100 with 1 inch keyed shaft, thats what the engine has, the pump side was splined so i had a friend make up an alignment dowl for the other side to center and i welded the splined attachment from the old Isuzu engine coupler.

bill7101

I got a lovejoy brand, the L100 with 1 inch keyed shaft, thats what the engine has, the pump side was splined so i had a friend make up an alignment dowl for the other side to center and i welded the splined attachment from the old Isuzu engine coupler.
I agree stay as close as possible in power to what u have, if I could have gotten a diesel to fit in on a good budget i would have done it. The gas engine I put in is only 1HP less then the diesel that was in it.

farmshop

I agree stay as close as possible in power to what u have, if I could have gotten a diesel to fit in on a good budget i would have done it. The gas engine I put in is only 1HP less then the diesel that was in it.
10 hp would be too small. The 20-30 hour gas would probably be ok. A diesel would be great but probably hard to find anything small enough with out dropping some serious coin unless you can find a smaller yanmar or kubota out of a mower or something

OP
OP
Thomasus140

Thomasus140

10 hp would be too small. The 20-30 hour gas would probably be ok. A diesel would be great but probably hard to find anything small enough with out dropping some serious coin unless you can find a smaller yanmar or kubota out of a mower or something
Just a little update for everyone. In the last couple weeks i did some wheeling and dealing. I purchased a old JD yard tractor with a 12hp horizontal; I figured it was too small of an engine so i sold it for a small profit. Bought a Kohler 28hp fuel injection engine liquid cooled, for a great price. But i didn't want to mess with the electronic stuff on the kohler; so i traded it for a 32 hp 992cc Generac 990 engine. That's my final decision. It was a factory propane setup but I'm going to run it on gasoline. I already tested it that way and everything seems ok. It came with a carb and intake and all i need to run it as gas engine. I figure with the higher compression of a propane built motor it'll run somewhere in the 35hp or higher range. I was going to keep it propane but decided to go with gas and running high octane only in it to compensate for the higher compression. I figure it'll do whatever i need to power my skid. It came with a tapered shaft but I've got an adapter to make it a 1 inch keyed shaft. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress. And maybe ask advice on occasion lol.

Tazza

Staff member
Just a little update for everyone. In the last couple weeks i did some wheeling and dealing. I purchased a old JD yard tractor with a 12hp horizontal; I figured it was too small of an engine so i sold it for a small profit. Bought a Kohler 28hp fuel injection engine liquid cooled, for a great price. But i didn't want to mess with the electronic stuff on the kohler; so i traded it for a 32 hp 992cc Generac 990 engine. That's my final decision. It was a factory propane setup but I'm going to run it on gasoline. I already tested it that way and everything seems ok. It came with a carb and intake and all i need to run it as gas engine. I figure with the higher compression of a propane built motor it'll run somewhere in the 35hp or higher range. I was going to keep it propane but decided to go with gas and running high octane only in it to compensate for the higher compression. I figure it'll do whatever i need to power my skid. It came with a tapered shaft but I've got an adapter to make it a 1 inch keyed shaft. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress. And maybe ask advice on occasion lol.
Well done on the wheeling and dealing, a long way around, but hey, you got there for the right price :)
Keep the details coming.