repairing cracked lift arm on 843

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skidsteer.ca

I would remove the arms to allow good acees to grind it out and weld it properly. I also seriously consider making 2 plates to weld to the inside of the arms and onto the pin boss to reinforce it. This is not a common problem from my experience and it should not be too hard to make a repair that would last a good long time.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Thats an odd spot to crack, the usually crack in the "heel" where the lift ram connects to the arm as there is a LOT of force at this point.
For your repair, i would drill the end of the cracks so it will not keep going, you can grind a V or cut it out with a plasma. Use high penetration rods so the weld cuts deep into the steel, if you use normal rods you will want to cut the crack out then grind a V as you want the entire area filled with weld and not just the surface, which *standard* rods will do. The main thing you need to do is ensure the crack is totally filled with weld and not just the surface like most quick weld jobs do, these will re-crack if not done rite.
Your idea of removing the pin and lift the area to grind or weld is a good idea.