Remove Mustang 2050 drive motor

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Jbohannon

I am about to replace the right side drive motor on a 2050 Mustang. I have two questions. Does it come out from inside the machine or underneath? If underneath what is a good way to block skid steer up ? Thanks

brdgbldr

I can only comment on blocking up a skid steer in general since I am not familiar with Mustang machines. On a Bobcat the motors come out the side. They are behind an access plate between the tires.

It is always best to consult the owner/operator manual when jacking up and blocking a machine. But, not all owners have a manual.

Always start on solid level ground. It's best and safest to have a helper.

You need real good jack-stands that you have confidence in. Make sure that they more then exceed the weight of your machine. I use 22000 lb rated jack-stands that do not have any cast iron in them. I have seen high rated cast iron stands fail.

You can lift the front of the machine by tilting the bucket just high enough to get the tires off the ground and the Jack-stand under the axle tubes, close to the frame. Then raise the bucket slowly to lower the machine onto the stands.

The rear of the machine is usually jacked up with a large floor Jack. You probably shouldn't, but I have used two floor jacks, pumping one a little at a time, to lift the back of the machine. The Jack-stands should be placed at the back corners of the machine.

Just remember that if you are not comfortable with the setup that you have you probably shouldn't do it. These machine are heavier than most people realize. So make sure that your equipment can handle the load.

OP
OP
J

Jbohannon

I can only comment on blocking up a skid steer in general since I am not familiar with Mustang machines. On a Bobcat the motors come out the side. They are behind an access plate between the tires.

It is always best to consult the owner/operator manual when jacking up and blocking a machine. But, not all owners have a manual.

Always start on solid level ground. It's best and safest to have a helper.

You need real good jack-stands that you have confidence in. Make sure that they more then exceed the weight of your machine. I use 22000 lb rated jack-stands that do not have any cast iron in them. I have seen high rated cast iron stands fail.

You can lift the front of the machine by tilting the bucket just high enough to get the tires off the ground and the Jack-stand under the axle tubes, close to the frame. Then raise the bucket slowly to lower the machine onto the stands.

The rear of the machine is usually jacked up with a large floor Jack. You probably shouldn't, but I have used two floor jacks, pumping one a little at a time, to lift the back of the machine. The Jack-stands should be placed at the back corners of the machine.

Just remember that if you are not comfortable with the setup that you have you probably shouldn't do it. These machine are heavier than most people realize. So make sure that your equipment can handle the load.
Thanks for the help

Firefighter

You Will Have to drain the oil from the chaincase & remove the cover on the outside, then remove the Brake disc, & 60h chain from drive motor sprocket then u can remove motor assemble from in side out the bottom those motor can be rebuilt

OP
OP
J

Jbohannon

You Will Have to drain the oil from the chaincase & remove the cover on the outside, then remove the Brake disc, & 60h chain from drive motor sprocket then u can remove motor assemble from in side out the bottom those motor can be rebuilt
Thanks for the help I will do it that way. Now I have found something else. I blocked up both wheels on that side and removed the chain case cover. When I get in the seat and start engine and move that side lever wheels will not turn. They move about and each or so either way and then just stop. It is like the wheels are locked? Any ideas.

Firefighter

Ok the brake is not allowing it to turn, did you unlock the brakes using the switch? if that doesn't work the other side is
probably locked also, meaning you could have a faulty delay timer or control module, possibly a Brake solenoid also
what is the reason for replacing the drive motor?