recommendations for a concrete breaker for 743b

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cumminsguy

What might be the best size to use, I know the aux hydro is 11 gpm any help you guys could provide would be great, my intent is to use for breaking up up to 6'' driveways, used breakers seems to be touchy on finding something good. Any advise?

reaperman

You may be surprised what a set of forks can do to concrete. Especially, older cement that already has cracks from age. The best way to bust up cement with forks is to tip the forks down and pry with the rear of the forks by lifting the boom up, instead of prying with just the ends. Six inches can be tough for a smaller machine if the cement isnt cracked up a bit. I really cant offer much advise on a jackhammer attachment. But I used one to "try" and bust up a bank vault on a old bank we were demo-ing. The vault won.

frogfarmer

Rent a machine with a breaker. They are pure torture on the machine. I realize its not the answer you are looking for but Im serious. I rent a machine with an enclosed cab and the breaker when a job calls for the need.

Tazza

Staff member
Rent a machine with a breaker. They are pure torture on the machine. I realize its not the answer you are looking for but Im serious. I rent a machine with an enclosed cab and the breaker when a job calls for the need.
Breakers are really hard on machines, it's actually a good idea to rent a machine with a breaker, better you belt the crap out of their machine and not yours.
If you still do want one, i don't believe flow is really that important, it may have less blows per minute, but they should still be as solid as a higher flow machine.

OP
OP
cumminsguy

cumminsguy

Breakers are really hard on machines, it's actually a good idea to rent a machine with a breaker, better you belt the crap out of their machine and not yours.
If you still do want one, i don't believe flow is really that important, it may have less blows per minute, but they should still be as solid as a higher flow machine.
Sounds like renting or buying a set of forks maybe a better option. Thanks Guys.

SkidRoe

Sounds like renting or buying a set of forks maybe a better option. Thanks Guys.
I use my grapple bucket on concrete slabs. See a picture from a couple of years ago:
Moving%20Slabs%20crop.JPG

Once you get some air between the slab and the ground, you would be surprised what a couple of good solid whacks with a sledge hammer will do.
The only times that I could see a breaker coming into play would be with reinforced concrete or with very large, thick chunks that your machine can't handle with the forks or bucket.
FWIW