rear view camera

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jerry

I just bought a rear view camera system from Sam's Club for $99 and put it in the Bobcat. I think it's great. Has 7 inch screen and color. Has anyone else put these cheaper cameras in? Any problems with them? I made temporary mount so I can take it out and use it on the back of the rv and other things.

bobcat_ron

I would like to add one to my machine as well, after spending a week on a Volvo ADT, I really liked it. I would love to use one the next time I have to sweep a road down and keep an eye on vehicles behind me or even to watch all the Bobcat ego's I crush as I back over their toes.

dasgib

Hi Jerry. Haven't put one in my machine yet but I have one sitting on the bench waiting to be fitted in the next few days. They're an excellent idea and I have one in my ute (or pickup as you guys call them) and it makes backing up to a trailer a breeze. Regards, Darren.

OP
OP
J

jerry

Hi Jerry. Haven't put one in my machine yet but I have one sitting on the bench waiting to be fitted in the next few days. They're an excellent idea and I have one in my ute (or pickup as you guys call them) and it makes backing up to a trailer a breeze. Regards, Darren.
I have a old 632 and there was no good place to put the screen in the middle so I put it kiddy corner below the light switch on the right side. After I installed it as usual I read the instructions and I see the camera does not have to have any particular orientation as you can rotate the picture on the screen and move the view left or right if needed. The camera is wireless except for power supply so I think it will work on the back of travel trailer good also. The one in your pickup Darren, do you use it on the back of the trailer or back of the truck? Jerry

Earthwerks Unlimited

I have a old 632 and there was no good place to put the screen in the middle so I put it kiddy corner below the light switch on the right side. After I installed it as usual I read the instructions and I see the camera does not have to have any particular orientation as you can rotate the picture on the screen and move the view left or right if needed. The camera is wireless except for power supply so I think it will work on the back of travel trailer good also. The one in your pickup Darren, do you use it on the back of the trailer or back of the truck? Jerry
I have a BC on my New Holland from Walmart $99. The screen is not large enough to be practical as the machine vibrates so you can only really use it when you are stopped, which may be okay for some situations. I use it as backup for when my neck gets sore plowing snow in a big residential complex--an idiot "wanting my attention" to plow his driveway decides he'll park in the intersection I'm plowing and I side-swiped his bumper. He was drunk, couldn't show me where I supposedly hit him, then said the car was crap (which it wasn't!). On top of that, he paid me to plow his driveway. Talk about dumbasses out there.
Anywho...
As far as using it for a aligning a trailer--it doesn't work well enough to be practical. Since the camera offers no depth perception you have to have it directly over the trailer hitch ball/trailer tongue to take out any quess work. It's like dropping a marble from your mouth--standing up-- into a small container--with only one eye open. Sure it can be done--but how long do you have?
I had the system on my truck's trailer weight distributing hitch which had a vertical member on which I had to mount the camera at a slight angle---otherwise I couldn't remove the trailer. It was shrouded with a piece of 2" angle welded to the member. It still needed to be directly over the hitch ball but I ended up hitching up the trailer, latching it, then using a permanent marker traced the outline of the trailer tongue onto the screen/monitor. The problem was since the camera was so close to the hitch (about a foot away) before you knew it the trailer tongue was in view---and misaligned to boot.
I found my original idea of using an 8" convex mirror mounted on an adjustable stalk mounted to the top rear corner of my truck's camper shell (cap) worked even better. This was bought at the local auto parts and is used by US Mail and FedEx trucks on the rear, and a similar setup is used on the front of semis and school busses. About $30.

OP
OP
J

jerry

I have a BC on my New Holland from Walmart $99. The screen is not large enough to be practical as the machine vibrates so you can only really use it when you are stopped, which may be okay for some situations. I use it as backup for when my neck gets sore plowing snow in a big residential complex--an idiot "wanting my attention" to plow his driveway decides he'll park in the intersection I'm plowing and I side-swiped his bumper. He was drunk, couldn't show me where I supposedly hit him, then said the car was crap (which it wasn't!). On top of that, he paid me to plow his driveway. Talk about dumbasses out there.
Anywho...
As far as using it for a aligning a trailer--it doesn't work well enough to be practical. Since the camera offers no depth perception you have to have it directly over the trailer hitch ball/trailer tongue to take out any quess work. It's like dropping a marble from your mouth--standing up-- into a small container--with only one eye open. Sure it can be done--but how long do you have?
I had the system on my truck's trailer weight distributing hitch which had a vertical member on which I had to mount the camera at a slight angle---otherwise I couldn't remove the trailer. It was shrouded with a piece of 2" angle welded to the member. It still needed to be directly over the hitch ball but I ended up hitching up the trailer, latching it, then using a permanent marker traced the outline of the trailer tongue onto the screen/monitor. The problem was since the camera was so close to the hitch (about a foot away) before you knew it the trailer tongue was in view---and misaligned to boot.
I found my original idea of using an 8" convex mirror mounted on an adjustable stalk mounted to the top rear corner of my truck's camper shell (cap) worked even better. This was bought at the local auto parts and is used by US Mail and FedEx trucks on the rear, and a similar setup is used on the front of semis and school busses. About $30.
I have a convex mirror from Cabela's that is made to drop over the tailgate so you see the hitch ball in the rearview mirror and I like that, backup one time and you are right where you want to be. I don't see the vibration in this one but I do have it sitting in foam weatherstripping and have really not used it much yet. time will tell I guess.