Rear stabilizers

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
Has anyone used these on their machine before with a backhoe attachment fitted?
I have a set that came off a 743, was considering fitting it to my 763 when i get it done. I know I'll need to work out some plumbing to hook it all up but was wondering if it was worth the effort or not. I have used the hoe on my 743 and it works pretty well but you do get pulled around and don't have a lot of down pressure. Do the rear stabilizers give you much more pressure? they aren't very far back so i figured if they did it would only be minimal. I know the engine is a different place in the 743 to the 763, so that would change things too.
The hydraulic pressure of the 743 to the 763 means i should have about 20% more power on the 763 over the 743.
Anyone have any experience with this at all?

thetool

Hey Tazza-
Of course I'm not an operator, but I've set up a few sets.
Seems to me about half the folks that buy a backhoe also buy the stabs. The other half consider it nice-to-have but can do without.
Most stab sets seem to get removed and stored somewhere. They start drifting, and interfere with non-backhoe operations, and end up being removed and forgotten.
Good if a guy's backhoe-ing all the time, but those guys more often than not end up with a mini anyway.
I think most operators I know would tell you they're a pain.

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
Hey Tazza-
Of course I'm not an operator, but I've set up a few sets.
Seems to me about half the folks that buy a backhoe also buy the stabs. The other half consider it nice-to-have but can do without.
Most stab sets seem to get removed and stored somewhere. They start drifting, and interfere with non-backhoe operations, and end up being removed and forgotten.
Good if a guy's backhoe-ing all the time, but those guys more often than not end up with a mini anyway.
I think most operators I know would tell you they're a pain.
That was my thought too. They make the machine wider and scratch the side of the machine up a bit too. Then the added headache of adding the extra aux hydraulics....
For the amount i use the hoe it may be best not to hook them up. I did find it handy on one machine i had. If i needed to change a tyre i just put the legs down to raise the back then use the bucket to raise the front! was great.

sterlclan

That was my thought too. They make the machine wider and scratch the side of the machine up a bit too. Then the added headache of adding the extra aux hydraulics....
For the amount i use the hoe it may be best not to hook them up. I did find it handy on one machine i had. If i needed to change a tyre i just put the legs down to raise the back then use the bucket to raise the front! was great.
how about some type of quick disconnect type setup? if they were easy enough to put on/off shouldn't be too bad . may help with hoe work. personally I didn't care for them, tended to be too cumbersome for their worth, if that makes any sense ...Jeff

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
how about some type of quick disconnect type setup? if they were easy enough to put on/off shouldn't be too bad . may help with hoe work. personally I didn't care for them, tended to be too cumbersome for their worth, if that makes any sense ...Jeff
I totally agree, i can see them getting in the way. The machine they came on actually had 2 sets of small quick couplers each side. This way you could remove them with little effort (other than the weight of them). I just don't know if i want to put them on and scratch the paint up putting them on and off for the once or twice a year i use it.

skidsteer.ca

I totally agree, i can see them getting in the way. The machine they came on actually had 2 sets of small quick couplers each side. This way you could remove them with little effort (other than the weight of them). I just don't know if i want to put them on and scratch the paint up putting them on and off for the once or twice a year i use it.
I used a 873 on a tree spade that had them, but found the feet where to small and they sunk in the ground, I also used the same spade on a 773 without them and it really need them to help get the spade into the tough ground. As for the hoe I have never found it to hard to get it into the ground, I establish my depth and do most of my digging pulling up out of the ground.
The electric park brake can be set from the hoe seat on the newer loaders if need to help hold you still. I did pick a set of these up at a local auction because they were cheap just incase I ever get a spade though.
Ken

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
I used a 873 on a tree spade that had them, but found the feet where to small and they sunk in the ground, I also used the same spade on a 773 without them and it really need them to help get the spade into the tough ground. As for the hoe I have never found it to hard to get it into the ground, I establish my depth and do most of my digging pulling up out of the ground.
The electric park brake can be set from the hoe seat on the newer loaders if need to help hold you still. I did pick a set of these up at a local auction because they were cheap just incase I ever get a spade though.
Ken
Too much of my digging has been at the side of a hill to make a level area. I find that when i push the bucket down too hard the front tyres lift up and then SMACK as it cuts through or i lift the bucket up. I think the front stabilizers make the jarring worse as they lift up and hit on the ground without any cushioning, you feel every bit! I think i may just need a softer seat... Its really not fun as you get smacked around on the seat, just a little painful!
Your idea of using the weight of the machine and pulling up is the ideal way, shame i haven't had to dig many trenches. Actually thats probably a good thing!