Quick-tach pins

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

V-TWIN

Just thought I would pick everyones brain a minute. The pins that hold my attachments on have froze up. I have been heating them and trying work them back and forth, nothing. So I cut the bottom of the pins off. Unbolted the handles and took my bucket off. Now I'm down to the quick-tach plate. So I'm heating and beating again. If this does not work I will buy a new quick tach plate ( but I do not want to). Thanks for the help.

skidsteer.ca

This can happen to machines that never have there buckets removed. Also many people don't realize there are grease zerks for these pin on the side of the bobtach. The zerks get buried in dirt and forgotten about.
Unfortunately if you have gone that far and heating the bobtach around the pin to red hot then trying to drift the pin out has not produced any movement, there is not alot else you can do.
It may help to pour diesel fuel on the area when it cool in a attempt to get some lubricant in there. Keep heating and beating. If you can get the pin red hot, it will shrink when it cools and hopefully you can get it top move.
Unless you can find a used bobtach it may be cheaper to weld new "pipes" into you old one and buy new pins.
Ken

OP
OP
V

V-TWIN

This can happen to machines that never have there buckets removed. Also many people don't realize there are grease zerks for these pin on the side of the bobtach. The zerks get buried in dirt and forgotten about.
Unfortunately if you have gone that far and heating the bobtach around the pin to red hot then trying to drift the pin out has not produced any movement, there is not alot else you can do.
It may help to pour diesel fuel on the area when it cool in a attempt to get some lubricant in there. Keep heating and beating. If you can get the pin red hot, it will shrink when it cools and hopefully you can get it top move.
Unless you can find a used bobtach it may be cheaper to weld new "pipes" into you old one and buy new pins.
Ken
This bobcat was near the coast on family farm. My old man never removed the bucket, or greased. I removed the zerk fitting in attempt to get heat or lube on the pin. Cutting the pipes out might be the way. Thanks

skidsteer.ca

This bobcat was near the coast on family farm. My old man never removed the bucket, or greased. I removed the zerk fitting in attempt to get heat or lube on the pin. Cutting the pipes out might be the way. Thanks
I wonder if you made a fitting to screw into the grease fitting hole and hooked it to you aux hyd if the pressure would force some of the rust out??
Ken

lgammon

I wonder if you made a fitting to screw into the grease fitting hole and hooked it to you aux hyd if the pressure would force some of the rust out??
Ken
my caterpiller greese gun stated on the paper that came with it that it could produce 10,000psi. i would say if that doesn't work i don't know what would. on second thought norther tool has a tool that you take out the fitting and set this thing in the hole and smack it with a hammer and it jams grease into it....

OP
OP
V

V-TWIN

my caterpiller greese gun stated on the paper that came with it that it could produce 10,000psi. i would say if that doesn't work i don't know what would. on second thought norther tool has a tool that you take out the fitting and set this thing in the hole and smack it with a hammer and it jams grease into it....
Thanks for the help. I soaked the pins all day, heated and beated them yesterday evening. Once they moved they fell out. Do not know what made the difference, but they are out and replaced. I promised to myself this will never happen again!!!!!!!!

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for the help. I soaked the pins all day, heated and beated them yesterday evening. Once they moved they fell out. Do not know what made the difference, but they are out and replaced. I promised to myself this will never happen again!!!!!!!!
Yes going through the repairs once is usually enough to remind a person to keep them greased.
You may want to check the spring between the top of the sliding pin and the handle to make sure it can still compress and extend.
The spring often rusts in the compress position and may not adjust its length to hold another attachment securely
Ken

OP
OP
V

V-TWIN

Yes going through the repairs once is usually enough to remind a person to keep them greased.
You may want to check the spring between the top of the sliding pin and the handle to make sure it can still compress and extend.
The spring often rusts in the compress position and may not adjust its length to hold another attachment securely
Ken
Thanks for the heads up: but I replaced them with the pins. Since I had went this far.

lgammon

Thanks for the heads up: but I replaced them with the pins. Since I had went this far.
this thread reminds me of my straw blower. there are 7-8 bearings that have greese fittings on them well all but 2 are in plain site. when i got the machine i thought that i found them all. well last fall i had a one of the bearings go down on the shaft that the blades are on. well i ruined a good bearing trying to get the bad one off, then i cracked the housing on a new one trying to reinstall them. the bearings were 200 buck a piece. after 600 in bearings that puppy got greased every time we blew straw all last year.........but come to think of it, i may have for got a time or two this year....well i gotta run out to the shop real quick.......

trg753

Where did you get new pins? I should replace mine, but what I really need is the new lever assembly that runs the pins. One of my levers broke where it attaches to the pin. Tom

OP
OP
V

V-TWIN

Where did you get new pins? I should replace mine, but what I really need is the new lever assembly that runs the pins. One of my levers broke where it attaches to the pin. Tom
I bought them through a bobcat dealer, (IN STOCK). There is a kit offered with the pins, handles, springs, roll-pins. It is about 380.00,I think that is right.

trg753

Thanks for the reply. That sounds expensive, but I guess everything is. Tom

Latest posts