Quick-Tach pins/bushings at the bottom of the Boom Lx885

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

busted_knuckles

Hey guys, decided to tear into my machine this afternoon, and Im stalled out. The bottom pins / bushings on my boom, there is about 1/4" of play in the bushings, and I got the bolts out, but dont see how the rest of it comes apart? Im refering to the very bottom pivot point that the quick tach plate attaches at, not the tilt cylinder bushings. Mike, I think you made mention that it was pretty straight forward. Are the a press fit, or just fall out after you remove the excess grease? Is this bushing / pin arrangement serviced by the aftermarket, or is it a N/H dealer only item? Any input would be apprieciated. I should also mention, I went through the service manual, and I dont see any reference to changing them out? Lots of info on the quick tach, but not on the boom pins? Thanks, Bill

mllud

Bill
You have to go into the bolt hole from the outside with a large punch ,or a steel rod that is larger than the bolt hole and drive the pin inward. The pins are tapered and have a press fit. I had too use a three pound hammer and hit it several times.
I used a steel rod as large as would fit in the hole so it wouldnt try to slip into the bolt hole.I think this style pin is used in other makes of skid steers. I dont think its serviced by aftermarket. Mike

mllud

Bill
You have to go into the bolt hole from the outside with a large punch ,or a steel rod that is larger than the bolt hole and drive the pin inward. The pins are tapered and have a press fit. I had too use a three pound hammer and hit it several times.
I used a steel rod as large as would fit in the hole so it wouldnt try to slip into the bolt hole.I think this style pin is used in other makes of skid steers. I dont think its serviced by aftermarket. Mike
Bill
I said they are a press fit. I should have said the taper wedges the pin in. You dont need a press to remove them. Mike

OP
OP
busted_knuckles

busted_knuckles

Bill
I said they are a press fit. I should have said the taper wedges the pin in. You dont need a press to remove them. Mike
Thanks Mike, the pins fell out, once I got enough grease out of the way, so I go to the NH store today, and leave with $475 worth of misc. quick-attach parts / boom pins (had a bent Q/A lever). I get home, and I nock out one of the bushings (which did not go quitely!), now heres where Im confused, they sold me 4 bushings, I only see 2 bushings total on the bottom of the quick attach, in pin holes, one on each side of the Q/A, or one bushing per pin. I did the math, and I see where the pin stops, which is about where my bushing stops, and there might be a spare 1/8" room for it to "move around" laterally. I should also mention my machine runs the older "square tube style" quick attach.
Am I missing something, I dont see a second bushing on either side, the parts diagram clearly shows 4 bushings, 2 on each side, but I only see one?
Thanks again for your help! Hope I can reciprocate some day!
Signed, Dazed and Confused!

mllud

Bill The two other bushings are probably for the hyd. cylinders. They use the same bushing. Mike

mllud

Bill in the parts diagram the diagrem does show two bushings *17. I believe they are showing 2 bushings because it takes there are two of that part in the quick tach. It does appear that they intend two for that right side. But there are none shown on the other side.
I think I went to the dealer and came back with 4 bushings also. Unless you specify they will sell the top and bottom bushings. Two for the bottom pivots and two for the hyd. cylinder pivots. The part number for the boom cylinder bushing is different than the bottom pivot bushing but the price is the same and the diameter is the same.
I think I had the same confusion when I did mine. I also have the square tube on my quick tach. Mike

OP
OP
busted_knuckles

busted_knuckles

Bill in the parts diagram the diagrem does show two bushings *17. I believe they are showing 2 bushings because it takes there are two of that part in the quick tach. It does appear that they intend two for that right side. But there are none shown on the other side.
I think I went to the dealer and came back with 4 bushings also. Unless you specify they will sell the top and bottom bushings. Two for the bottom pivots and two for the hyd. cylinder pivots. The part number for the boom cylinder bushing is different than the bottom pivot bushing but the price is the same and the diameter is the same.
I think I had the same confusion when I did mine. I also have the square tube on my quick tach. Mike
Thanks Mike, in review, Id say your dead on, the illustration shows two, and one is meant for the other side for a total of two on the bottom. Nice having you on the forum !
You where right, the bushings where worn, but not worn through, I replaced the pins as well. My bolts where loose, and after seeing how it goes together, I realized that the loose bolts where more than 3/4s of the slop problem, allowing for the slop in the Q/A.
(thats a clue for you guys that think they have loose bushings at the bottom of their Quick Attach Plate, check to see if the bolt coming through the outside of your bottom bushings is loose, if it is, tighten it up before running off and changing out your bushings. That might be all your ploblem is. You need to remove the grease caps to get to the heads of the bolt to hold it while you tighten it up. I think they are SAE bolts, but I used a 19mm socket on both ends.)
I got it back together last night, and the "bucket cylinder"does appear to run the same bushing as the Q/A bottom pins, I test fitted the pins with the two spare bushings I had from the miscalculation, I guess Im going to change those out a well, there really not bad, while Ive got it all apart...
I ended up using a die grinder with a carbide rasp to get the bushings out. The torch didnt help, and I was swinging about a 2 pound ball peen hammer. So I ground a "groove in the bushing within a couple thousands of going through it, which allowed the column strength of the bushing to fail, allowing it to be easily tapped out with a hammer, within a couple hits.
Thanks again for you input, Bill