Questions about used attachment

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

lesgawlik

I am about to get a used attachment I know nothing about. Specifically, I don't know the health of the hydraulic system of the machines it was used on previously. My question is how best to hook it up to my machine the first time. Here's my plan so far. Put two flat-faced couplers on the auxiliary ports without any hoses. Engage the auxiliary hydraulics and just blip the switch for a fraction of a second to determine which port the fluid comes out of. Hook one hose from the attachment to that coupler. Run the other hose from the attachment into an empty bucket. Run a hose from the other aux flat face and submerge it into a bucket of clean Bobcat oil, and then cycle the aux hydraulics. Does this sound like a good plan? Do you experienced owners/mechanics do something like this, or just take you chances?

Tazza

Staff member
It also depends on what sort of attachment it is. If it's an auger you can open one end and pump it through. But if it is a hoe, oil will be trapped in the cylinders.
It isn't a bad idea what you are doing. It also get the other oil out that may not match yours exactly. If your machine is under warranty the dealer may complain later if there is a problem.
Generally i don't worry about it, as the chances of it having crud in it is very low, but if the couplers are rusted up, drop the hoses at the attachment and blow them through with air, don't want to risk water or dirt getting in.

Bobcatdan

It also depends on what sort of attachment it is. If it's an auger you can open one end and pump it through. But if it is a hoe, oil will be trapped in the cylinders.
It isn't a bad idea what you are doing. It also get the other oil out that may not match yours exactly. If your machine is under warranty the dealer may complain later if there is a problem.
Generally i don't worry about it, as the chances of it having crud in it is very low, but if the couplers are rusted up, drop the hoses at the attachment and blow them through with air, don't want to risk water or dirt getting in.
Normal flow is out female, return male. Yes you can reverse it. I would run one hose to the machine and the other in a bucket to flush it, that way you can run it threw all its functions. Just do it on idle and in a short burst, it won't take much.