Purchasing a Used Skid Steer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rory_rhodes

I am getting teady to purchase a used skid steer, just curious on any advice. New Hollands seem to be in abundance, priced within my budget. I have my eye on a LS170 or an LS180, both trades from a rental yard, less then 500 hours on the 170 and 1200 hours on the 180. NH Dealer purchase, original seller to the rental yard, all maintenance has been provided by dealer. The dealer will go throught the unit pre sale forany problems. Tires look good, one (170) has tracks (needed) that are tight on solid tires. Thanks in advance for any advice.

skidsteer.ca

I have a 2000 ls 160 which is a non turbo (same engine otherwise) version of the 170.
I also have a 2000 773 bobcat. I'd rate the 2 quite close in performance. I like the good visabilty of the new holland and the inside loader boom safety locks. The bobcat has better protection on the rear of the machine where the NH rad is prone to stick or rebar damage. Oil changes are easier on the bobcat just pull the drain hose out read door, Nh requires removing a cover under the engine.
Both loaders have sideways sway in the loader arms, that just how it is with a boom with the vertical lift paths even with only 500 very pampered hours. NH puts rub strips on each side of the cab and the boom will contact it if you hit a bump at higher speed with the boom 1/2 or more up. Pins are not sloppy. They have a heater that will melt you.
Nh has slightly faster top speed, Prices seem to run $2 k lower then a comparable bobcat.
I'm quite happy with it and I'd own another.
Ken

charger

I have a 2000 ls 160 which is a non turbo (same engine otherwise) version of the 170.
I also have a 2000 773 bobcat. I'd rate the 2 quite close in performance. I like the good visabilty of the new holland and the inside loader boom safety locks. The bobcat has better protection on the rear of the machine where the NH rad is prone to stick or rebar damage. Oil changes are easier on the bobcat just pull the drain hose out read door, Nh requires removing a cover under the engine.
Both loaders have sideways sway in the loader arms, that just how it is with a boom with the vertical lift paths even with only 500 very pampered hours. NH puts rub strips on each side of the cab and the boom will contact it if you hit a bump at higher speed with the boom 1/2 or more up. Pins are not sloppy. They have a heater that will melt you.
Nh has slightly faster top speed, Prices seem to run $2 k lower then a comparable bobcat.
I'm quite happy with it and I'd own another.
Ken
170 is more of a reliable machine than the 180, they changed the hydro`s now and changed it to a 185 and that machine has al bee bulletproof since the change