pump removal and chain replacment...

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jrrodder

Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to working on skid steers. I recently picked up a 743 and am in need of information. the left rear chain needs to be replaced and i was told to get access to the chain case you need to remove the hydro pump assembly. Is this right and if so how do you remove it??? sorry for being slow but I just want to be sure that it is done right. thanks for any advice you can give!!!!

Tazza

Staff member
You don't HAVE to remove it, but it makes the job much much easier.
I'd personally pull the pump and motor and while in there replace the axle seals.
This is a 743 and not a 743B rite?
The engine is pretty easy, 4 bolts, fuel lines, power, air, exhaust and throttle. Use a chain hoist on the 2 lifting points on the head, lift and slide it out.
The pump, remove the 4 large hoses at the motors, not the pump. The other hoses can be removed from the pump, as well as the linkages. Lift the whole thing out. This will expose the inspection covers, remove the one where the park brake is, this will give you as much access as you can get. You will need a 1 1/8" spanner for the bolts inside the chain case on the sprockets if you remove the axles to do the seals, if you aren't going to do the axles, get a chain breaker and break the chain, install the new chain and link. Change the oil, mop it out too. Ensure you re-seal the cover with silicone as water can and does get in.
Thats a very basic explanation, if you need more detail just yell.