Pull type box blade

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Sam_French

Hello I am wanting to build a finishing attachment. I will be talking to a implement dealer soon about pricing. This is what I would like to build. I have a 743B with aux hydraulics. Oh and to be upfront I am very new to this type of work. Where I live in Tenn we have a lot of clay and rock in the soil. A 5 foot good grade of box blade. This will be pulled so it will have a hitch tounge. On the back beam 2 hinged bars going a axle, Also on the back beam a hydraulic cylinder to raise and lower the box blade. Now from the axle have another hydraulic cylinder and two hinge arms going to a 3 point plate. Where I can use a rock rake and etc. Another reason for a pull setup so that it can be used by a small tractor. After I finish this I want to build another box blade that will be pushed and have a removable land plane insert. Thank You.

LS180

There are many out there already. Hitchdock out of Minn, Level Best East coast, And one in your own area is Laser Source. JR delveloped a blade that is laser controlled for push and pull. You might check pricing with him. Why reinvent the wheel unless you have the time.

OP
OP
S

Sam_French

There are many out there already. Hitchdock out of Minn, Level Best East coast, And one in your own area is Laser Source. JR delveloped a blade that is laser controlled for push and pull. You might check pricing with him. Why reinvent the wheel unless you have the time.
I am pattering the box blade on what JPS fabrications makes except mine will be 5 ft. With a another cylinder and lift arms going to a 3 pt plate on the back of the axle. I am just getting started and buying a harley rake or rockhound is just way out of my budget. One of the ways I am going to market myself is Custom Landscaping Attachments. I was figuring they would charge me around $1400 to build one. I even was looking at a reveal 4 in 1 setup. I have'nt baught anything yet to build with. I am just doing some homework. Other people I have "pitched" this to says it will work I just wanted to see what you guys think.

Earthwerks Unlimited

I am pattering the box blade on what JPS fabrications makes except mine will be 5 ft. With a another cylinder and lift arms going to a 3 pt plate on the back of the axle. I am just getting started and buying a harley rake or rockhound is just way out of my budget. One of the ways I am going to market myself is Custom Landscaping Attachments. I was figuring they would charge me around $1400 to build one. I even was looking at a reveal 4 in 1 setup. I have'nt baught anything yet to build with. I am just doing some homework. Other people I have "pitched" this to says it will work I just wanted to see what you guys think.
Been there, done that. I modified a 6' 3-pt box blade to go forward on my skid steer. No hydraulics or wheels required---simply use the bucket controls and the loader controls.
I made a 3-pt carry plate that fit the ss. The ideas was to use 3-pt attcments on the ss. Wrong idea. 3-pt stuff will not stand up to the abuse of the ss as testified by a York (rock/root/landscape) rake I twisted up. The box blade held up but only because the machine was relatively small, and I was easy on it.
Bigger IS better.
This is the poorman's set up and was inadequate once I found it just wasn't suited to fine grading.
I scrapped the whole project.
1. A skid steer is not nimble enough--it is hard to see backward and up against something.
2. It leaves tire marks, and or ruts.
What I did:
1. Bought a New Holland TC33D 4x4 33hp hydrostatic tractor and made a hydraulic top link for the 3-point. The hydraulic top link allows me to tip the blade backward and doze with it.
2. Bought a bigger skid steer (New Holland Ls185.b--the one in my avatar). I use the ss to do the rough and heavy work--but not all the time. I've moved 2-300 yards of clay with only the tractor and the blade and Harley rake with excellent results.
3. Kept the box blade on the tractor---it is nimble, fast, and only weighs 3,500 lb. versus the ss which is close to 8,000.
4. Bought a 6', 3-pt Harley rake. There is no job I can't do now. A friend talked me out of a ss Harely rake for the same reasons not to use a ss with a box blade.
Note: I have the hydraulic QA mount on my ss and love it. Since I change-out implements on a job many times, I made a quick-attach mount for the 3-point that looks and performs just like a ss QA---complete with hydraulic locking pins operated from the driver seat. My system has a though-way or archway in the QA plate where the PTO shaft goes--for mowers, and the Harley rake. All my attachments have the QA plates on them. When I'm not using the tractor attchments, I can still use the tractor's vacant QA as I welded a trailer hitch reciever tube to the bottom brace of the QA.
Just for kicks I loosely set just the forks from my ss pallet forks on the QA. Even though there was only the top of the forks hanging on the top of the QA, I still had over a 1,300 lb. of limestone blocks on them for a water fall I was building, and then moved a 1,800 lb. concrete commercial track parking bumper with ease.