Propane engine troubles

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mrgrzesk

I have a 98 Gehl 3725 with the 1.1 ford industrial engine. Converted to propane (before I got it ) and has a model K vaporizer and CA55 carb. The issue that I am having as it seems like the machine is not getting fuel. This problem started after I dumped the coolant and replaced it. Regulator does get cold after I try and start for a while. If I disconnect the feed line from the carburetor and press the primer button I do get fuel. When I reconnect and press the primer button it seems like it is being stopped not coming out anymore. I removed the vacuum operated propane shut off valve to make sure that was not the issue. The engine sounds like it wants to start but I cannot get it going, any help in this matter would be helpful !!
image.jpg
image.jpg

brdgbldr

Since the problem started when you replaced the coolant, I would think that maybe you are freezing something up in the vaporizer that is stopping the propane. Maybe try to get air pockets out of the lines by turning the engine over by hand or the water pump with the belt removed. Maybe you have a coolant leak into the vaporizer?

Make sure nothing is blocking the inlet to the carb and that the fuel line has no moisture in it.

Have you tried using starter fluid to get it running? It should start and hopefully keep running. If it doesn't start you have other problems.

Have you tried pressing the primer button in while tying to start it? You will need a helper for this but NASH Fuel sells a primer cable that bolts to the vaporizer If needed. It kind of works like a choke. I have bought items from NASH and they are very helpful with questions.

I'm no expert, but I hope this helps.

OP
OP
M

mrgrzesk

Thank you, I have been messing with this for a couple days finally got it running at half throttle, I think it might need a vaporizer

brdgbldr

I hate when things stop working after simple maintenance.

If you ever figure out exactly what the problem was, then please post it on here. It may help other folks in the future.

OP
OP
M

mrgrzesk

I hate when things stop working after simple maintenance.

If you ever figure out exactly what the problem was, then please post it on here. It may help other folks in the future.
After I was able to get all of the air out of the system, machine started. Typical 😂

foton

when I first read this I thought that you had a air bubble trapped , in the north it is important to let the engine warm some to keep the propane from freezing it the vaporiser when higher speeds and more fuel consuption happens , the hot coolant keeps this from happening.