Problem with my 257B HELP

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

HEAVYD

hi everyone i have a 04 257B 3400 hrs great machine, today I was moving some mud around in the yard and noticed that the machine was pulling to one side like a car would if the wheel alingment was off. So I continued to use the machine and then i noticed it was harder to turn left and i could feel the joystick pulsate, the motor would really have to work to turn the machine left which was really weird and has never done that before so i took the track off to check the wheels or if anything was broken looked fine. while I had the track off I turned the machine on and placed the joystick all the way to the top left corner so just the right side of the track would spin and it wouldnt move at idle, it would only move if i had it at half throttle. Usaully it would spin freely at idle. So heres the question whats wrong with it and would I need a new motor (or whatever you call that thing) on the the right side?? Any ideas will be a great help thx

Tazza

Staff member
Its possible a bearing has failed, or even the gears. When you felt it start to get stiff, you really should have stopped. If the motor did fail and spat its guts out, its all through your pump. I'd start by removing the hoses from the motor and seeing if the oil that comes out has any metal particles in it.
I have never worked on one of these, so i don't know where to point you to check the drive motor/gearbox.

OP
OP
H

HEAVYD

Its possible a bearing has failed, or even the gears. When you felt it start to get stiff, you really should have stopped. If the motor did fail and spat its guts out, its all through your pump. I'd start by removing the hoses from the motor and seeing if the oil that comes out has any metal particles in it.
I have never worked on one of these, so i don't know where to point you to check the drive motor/gearbox.
I checked the bearing on the outside it was dry but still spun freely! So it wasnt that. I took the hoses off and the fluid was clean! im thinking the drive motor is finshed on it! can they be rebuilt? or could it be a valve or something thats pluged up? any info is a great help thx

Tazza

Staff member
I checked the bearing on the outside it was dry but still spun freely! So it wasnt that. I took the hoses off and the fluid was clean! im thinking the drive motor is finshed on it! can they be rebuilt? or could it be a valve or something thats pluged up? any info is a great help thx
Hopefully its something simple. Can you move the drive motor to the other side and see if the problem moves?

OP
OP
H

HEAVYD

Hopefully its something simple. Can you move the drive motor to the other side and see if the problem moves?
No but I tryed changing the hoses around and they wouldnt reach so I couldnt check if it was the main pump or just the drive motor! Im probly gonna get the machine tested out!

OP
OP
H

HEAVYD

No but I tryed changing the hoses around and they wouldnt reach so I couldnt check if it was the main pump or just the drive motor! Im probly gonna get the machine tested out!
Has anyone on here flushed the hydraulics system before? would like to flush it before putting on my new drive motor

OP
OP
H

HEAVYD

Has anyone on here flushed the hydraulics system before? would like to flush it before putting on my new drive motor
well I changed my drive motor, flushed the whole system twice and I have the same problem! does anyone know what else the problem could be? the right side continues to have half power!

Tazza

Staff member
well I changed my drive motor, flushed the whole system twice and I have the same problem! does anyone know what else the problem could be? the right side continues to have half power!
If you put a new motor on, it has to be the pump or the relief valve in the pump. Low speed/power in both directions? if so, i don't believe its a relief valve as there are two reliefs. One for forward one for reverse. I highly doubt that both would go at the same time.

OP
OP
H

HEAVYD

If you put a new motor on, it has to be the pump or the relief valve in the pump. Low speed/power in both directions? if so, i don't believe its a relief valve as there are two reliefs. One for forward one for reverse. I highly doubt that both would go at the same time.
The right side drive motor will move in reverse but not forward at idle and when it does go in reverse it pulsates! anything works fine its hard to believe its the pump i guess i just dont want to hear that cuz its a big fix. Im lost so far until I can find some more info on stuff to check before giving up and taking it in! I have a feeling somethings holding fluild back. Thats why it pulsates. Next im going to check the controler better see if there something wrong with that.

Tazza

Staff member
The right side drive motor will move in reverse but not forward at idle and when it does go in reverse it pulsates! anything works fine its hard to believe its the pump i guess i just dont want to hear that cuz its a big fix. Im lost so far until I can find some more info on stuff to check before giving up and taking it in! I have a feeling somethings holding fluild back. Thats why it pulsates. Next im going to check the controler better see if there something wrong with that.
I guess it could be a relief, it will make one side not work right. They are generally screwed into the drive pump housing near the ports to the drive motors. One for each direction, so two per side. I hope its something that simple...

OP
OP
H

HEAVYD

I guess it could be a relief, it will make one side not work right. They are generally screwed into the drive pump housing near the ports to the drive motors. One for each direction, so two per side. I hope its something that simple...
Well I bought a new drive motor so it wouldnt be that?? Theyed be new in the drive motor.

Tazza

Staff member
quick question how will I know if there no good??
You should be able to see a broken spring or something that is obviously wrong. If you can find the two for that drive motor, you should be able to swap them. If the problem moves, that's the problem one. I just hope you have access to them, i know my 743 had them UNDER the pump.... A big job to swap them out..

OP
OP
H

HEAVYD

You should be able to see a broken spring or something that is obviously wrong. If you can find the two for that drive motor, you should be able to swap them. If the problem moves, that's the problem one. I just hope you have access to them, i know my 743 had them UNDER the pump.... A big job to swap them out..
I took the machine into Cat this week to take a look at the machine and they say its the main pump they charged me $900.00 to do that! Time to which over to bobcat I think. 0psi on the right side drive motor and 2700psi on the left it should be 5000-psi on each side thats what cat has been telling.

Tazza

Staff member
I took the machine into Cat this week to take a look at the machine and they say its the main pump they charged me $900.00 to do that! Time to which over to bobcat I think. 0psi on the right side drive motor and 2700psi on the left it should be 5000-psi on each side thats what cat has been telling.
That's what the Bobcat pumps put out too. Up to 5,000 PSI on each side and in either direction. This is controlled by the relief valves.
So its low on both sides and in both directions?
It could be as simple as worn wear plates inside the pump. For it to fail so fast, its possibly something else. Depending on what brand pump they use, after market parts may be available to get it fixed cheaply.

OP
OP
H

HEAVYD

That's what the Bobcat pumps put out too. Up to 5,000 PSI on each side and in either direction. This is controlled by the relief valves.
So its low on both sides and in both directions?
It could be as simple as worn wear plates inside the pump. For it to fail so fast, its possibly something else. Depending on what brand pump they use, after market parts may be available to get it fixed cheaply.
yeah its low in both directions. Cats fixing the machine putting a new pump with new cooler because it was contaminated and flushing the whole system gonna be close to $10000 to fix sounds crazy but there gonna give me a year warrenty free on the pump and anything they fixed! Is there a somewhere you can buy pumps off the net?

Tazza

Staff member
yeah its low in both directions. Cats fixing the machine putting a new pump with new cooler because it was contaminated and flushing the whole system gonna be close to $10000 to fix sounds crazy but there gonna give me a year warrenty free on the pump and anything they fixed! Is there a somewhere you can buy pumps off the net?
Good lord! that is not a pretty price at all, but i guess its needed....
Loader parts source do pumps and motors, i don't know if they do yours though, but it never hurts to ask them.
As for the cooler, they should have been able to get it cleaned, but i guess this way they know for sure.
I sure hope you get the old parts back from them, never hurts to have spares if you ever need them, or at least sell them to get some money back.

Latest posts