problem with 763

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

twarren86

im having problems with my 763 bobcat. i was moving some dirt the other day and i turned it off to take a break, well when i went back to start it all the warning lights and beepers where going off and would not turn off even with the key out. i checked the battery under a load and it was fine. when i turn the key the starter makes no noise i have replaced the starter solenoid and the ignition switch and the same thing continues to happen. i could really us some help.

443life

might be a shot at the dark but did u try disconnect the battery for a few mins n retry?

Bobcatdan

might be a shot at the dark but did u try disconnect the battery for a few mins n retry?
Clean your battery connections really good. Bad connections will cause this and its normally the ones that don't look that bad.

OP
OP
T

twarren86

Clean your battery connections really good. Bad connections will cause this and its normally the ones that don't look that bad.
i have done that and still did the same thing. i did a voltage test when the key was off to the starter and had 11.6v then when i turned the key i only had 6.5v so im thinking its the starter is bad, does anyone agree?

Bobcatdan

i have done that and still did the same thing. i did a voltage test when the key was off to the starter and had 11.6v then when i turned the key i only had 6.5v so im thinking its the starter is bad, does anyone agree?
Battery has a bad cell, replace it.

Bobcatdan

i did a load test on the battery and it was good
Are you turning the key to crank or just on? Have you trued jumping the starter with another battery. Are you measuring voltage at the battery or starter. If at the starter, you may have bad cables. Starter could be the problem, but you have not told me enough to say it is.

OP
OP
T

twarren86

Are you turning the key to crank or just on? Have you trued jumping the starter with another battery. Are you measuring voltage at the battery or starter. If at the starter, you may have bad cables. Starter could be the problem, but you have not told me enough to say it is.
i have tried cranking it and the key just on and i had the same voltage at the starter and the battery. i have tied to jump it and tried a battery out of our case and the same thing was happening. when i did a voltage drop test on the cables and only lost 1v

Tazza

Staff member
i have tried cranking it and the key just on and i had the same voltage at the starter and the battery. i have tied to jump it and tried a battery out of our case and the same thing was happening. when i did a voltage drop test on the cables and only lost 1v
Down to 6v seems like a really big load. What happens after trying this, how hot do the battery cables feel and the starter?
Just be careful, as parts can heat up without you knowing how hot they are then you touch them. I have an S250 that started bad, the earth bolt wasn't working well and it was earthing through other bolts, they got warm enough to sizzle when my fingers touched them looking for high resistance points.
A bad starter could do this if there were shorts inside i guess, i'd have thought the battery was bad too as Dan stated with a voltage that low under load.

Bobcatdan

Down to 6v seems like a really big load. What happens after trying this, how hot do the battery cables feel and the starter?
Just be careful, as parts can heat up without you knowing how hot they are then you touch them. I have an S250 that started bad, the earth bolt wasn't working well and it was earthing through other bolts, they got warm enough to sizzle when my fingers touched them looking for high resistance points.
A bad starter could do this if there were shorts inside i guess, i'd have thought the battery was bad too as Dan stated with a voltage that low under load.
Your problem is voltage. Your dash freaking out is a clear signal the computer is getting low voltage. The fact you say the battery is at 11.9 volts shows its low to begin with. Dropping under load to 6 volts is a clear failure as a good battery at most should only drop to 9 volts at the most. I pretty much stand with the battery having a bad cell.

TriHonu

Quote:
twarren86 - ' i have tied to jump it and tried a battery out of our case and the same thing was happening. when i did a voltage drop test on the cables and only lost 1v'

Disconnect the suspect battery and try the known good battery.

What did you use to "test" your battery? Did you use a load tester or are you just measuring voltage?

rjardo

Quote:
twarren86 - ' i have tied to jump it and tried a battery out of our case and the same thing was happening. when i did a voltage drop test on the cables and only lost 1v'

Disconnect the suspect battery and try the known good battery.

What did you use to "test" your battery? Did you use a load tester or are you just measuring voltage?
Remember also that there are two places to check that battery voltage/drop.. putting you meter right on the battery post versus putting your leads on the cable connector.. you can have a poor connection of the cable and not really be able to tell if you are metering directly on the battery post.. Ask me how I know this :)

7LBSSMALLIE

Remember also that there are two places to check that battery voltage/drop.. putting you meter right on the battery post versus putting your leads on the cable connector.. you can have a poor connection of the cable and not really be able to tell if you are metering directly on the battery post.. Ask me how I know this :)
you did not specify if g or f model boss or bics. easy IDENT headlights square or triangle. f being square. boss being right hand panel (that you probally cant read anyway) g being triangle headlights which equals on board computer . best guess G model. hi amp fuse LOCATION above batt in 3 inch box . has either degraged or has hi resistance. ohm check wont tell you shit needs to be under load.. volt drop check only viable means of check.

Latest posts