Potential CAT skidsteer purchase?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bahmi

Looking for a skidsteer. Not the most fun. Never thought I'd consider a CAT, but a couple are available in the area. 1999 Model 226 for 7500 bucks? What is wrong with this picture, OR, is it about to die or have truly excessive hours? Before calling on it, it just seems to me that this price underlies a machine that is plum tuckered out. Any feelings on this? Thanks Further suggestions in buying a CAT ss, please send 'em along. Also wondering about some of the municipalities that decide to do the online auction route. I don't like buyer's premium auctions, but what can you do? thanks, all

Tazza

Staff member
From what i hear CAT are pretty good. As a general rule, you should get 6,000 hours from the engine and the hydraulics should easily out last that. Depending on the hours and condition of the pins and bushes it may be a good buy, you really need to look and see. Watch how hard it is to start, look for smoke at startup and again when running.
I'm sure i have missed other things to check.

Action

From what i hear CAT are pretty good. As a general rule, you should get 6,000 hours from the engine and the hydraulics should easily out last that. Depending on the hours and condition of the pins and bushes it may be a good buy, you really need to look and see. Watch how hard it is to start, look for smoke at startup and again when running.
I'm sure i have missed other things to check.
I have an 04 216b and love it. I think a 226 is the same machine but with a turbo motor (more power) Good luck Jack

bobcat_ron

I have an 04 216b and love it. I think a 226 is the same machine but with a turbo motor (more power) Good luck Jack
The 226's are tanks, the 216 is under powered IMO and the 226 is the 56 hp version of it with more ROC, Cat is the only machine I would buy used, even if I were still a Bobcat fanatic (as if)