Pins

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skidsteer.ca

Something no one has mentioned is the quality of the metal and the temper procedures used in making the machines and pins , which personally I think is the problem ---------------as far as grease goes have you'll noticed that a lot of manufacturrs have gone to the theory that if the pin rides in dirt they don't put a grease fitting on that pin as they came to the conclusion that the grease actually attracts and holds the dirt and causes more wear than no grease at all , with that said I see no grease fitting pins with more hours and less wear than pins that are properly grease that are worn out , so I don't think grease is the problem , it's poor quality steel ---------------today I am doing the pins , bushings and bucket ears on a 322 dipperstick and cradle which are about as bad as I have ever seen -----how do you post pictures on this site , i would like to show and tell sometimes
You have to upload them to a "folder" in the "media- photo section"
Then using 2 browser windows you can open the photo in one and paste it in your message windown in the second, while adding any text you want with it. There is a really good post here somewhere about this,
Failing that email them to me and I'll put them up
[email protected]

skidsteer.ca

You have to upload them to a "folder" in the "media- photo section"
Then using 2 browser windows you can open the photo in one and paste it in your message windown in the second, while adding any text you want with it. There is a really good post here somewhere about this,
Failing that email them to me and I'll put them up
[email protected]
Here is Erics post on how to add photos. It really deserves to be n the faq section.
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=2445
Ken

TriHonu

Pull the pin and look at the mounting boss on the Quick-Tach. I have a 763 with 2000 hours and the pin is good but the mounting boss holes are egg shaped. The mount was drilled out and bushed before I bought it and still egged out. The bushings were pretty thin and it appears that pounding contributed to the egging.
My neighbor bought a new 753 and noticed his was not tight within a week of getting it home. He complained to Bobcat and they told him they all had play (in the Quck-tach mount) right from the factory. He does a lot of grading work and tells me it is difficult to cut a grade accurately with any play in the pin. Even the slightest play in the connections at the tilt cylinder mounts equates to a lot of movement at the cutting edge. I didn't realize how bad mine was until I leveled the bucket and lifted he loader arms to pick the bucked about a foot off the floor. Then I put a floor jack under the cutting edge and measured the actual free-play at the cutting edge. I was almost 4 inches
emotion-8.gif

I asked my dealer and they told me wear in the bosses is unavoidable. They just wanted to sell me a whole new Quick-Tach plate for $585
emotion-3.gif
I wanted to rebore the bosses on mine and put in better bushings. I don't have a 90 degree head for my mill and can't find anyone to borrow one from.
My dealer referred me to a machine shop that could do the job. When I called them, they told me they normally just cut off the two mounting bosses and make new ones and weld them on. Quoted me $200 for the repair. But this still doesn't fix the wear problem. It just restarts it.
I have decided to make my own new bosses with hardened bushings and weld them in. It will probably be a winter project since my machine mostly sits in the winter.
If anyone has a better solution, I would love to hear it!
Jeff

skidsteer.ca

Pull the pin and look at the mounting boss on the Quick-Tach. I have a 763 with 2000 hours and the pin is good but the mounting boss holes are egg shaped. The mount was drilled out and bushed before I bought it and still egged out. The bushings were pretty thin and it appears that pounding contributed to the egging.
My neighbor bought a new 753 and noticed his was not tight within a week of getting it home. He complained to Bobcat and they told him they all had play (in the Quck-tach mount) right from the factory. He does a lot of grading work and tells me it is difficult to cut a grade accurately with any play in the pin. Even the slightest play in the connections at the tilt cylinder mounts equates to a lot of movement at the cutting edge. I didn't realize how bad mine was until I leveled the bucket and lifted he loader arms to pick the bucked about a foot off the floor. Then I put a floor jack under the cutting edge and measured the actual free-play at the cutting edge. I was almost 4 inches
I asked my dealer and they told me wear in the bosses is unavoidable. They just wanted to sell me a whole new Quick-Tach plate for $585 .
I wanted to rebore the bosses on mine and put in better bushings. I don't have a 90 degree head for my mill and can't find anyone to borrow one from.
My dealer referred me to a machine shop that could do the job. When I called them, they told me they normally just cut off the two mounting bosses and make new ones and weld them on. Quoted me $200 for the repair. But this still doesn't fix the wear problem. It just restarts it.
I have decided to make my own new bosses with hardened bushings and weld them in. It will probably be a winter project since my machine mostly sits in the winter.
If anyone has a better solution, I would love to hear it!
Jeff
On both my 553 and 853 all the pin bosses were shot on the quick attach.
I just air arced them out, machines new oversize ones on the lathe and put a replaceable hardend bushing inside. So far this seem to be working well. You have to be somewhat careful when you begin to weld the new ones back in. Tack weld them in, and check they have not pulled out of alignment. Then tack somemore.
I also shimmed all the side to side play out with steel washers.
So far it stayed tight but I only have 250 or so hours one the 853 and less on the little guy.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
On both my 553 and 853 all the pin bosses were shot on the quick attach.
I just air arced them out, machines new oversize ones on the lathe and put a replaceable hardend bushing inside. So far this seem to be working well. You have to be somewhat careful when you begin to weld the new ones back in. Tack weld them in, and check they have not pulled out of alignment. Then tack somemore.
I also shimmed all the side to side play out with steel washers.
So far it stayed tight but I only have 250 or so hours one the 853 and less on the little guy.
Ken
If you replace the boss' make sure you make bushings that are renewable! i did that on mine, i basically line bored them with an old rail drill. If i remember i will post pictures when i get home. It worked really well! the holes are perfectly in line.

Latest posts